Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3PO (kick to finish him)

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2015 in Finished Work #1
I really should finish 3PO one day, anyhoo as a kick for me to do it, here is a doodle I did with the WIP version :)
104692.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks great. What's not done on him, besides his eyes not being lit up? Don't tell me, that's all there is to the model, right? :lol:
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Hi eyes are lit up :), just the shader is not working on the lenses (its still MR I think that bit).

I have to complete his arms/hands and legs basically; dragging my heels on them a bit :P
    Arms and legs aren't complete? No problem, just strap him to Chewbacca's back and you're good to go. :devil: (yes, I know his arms were attached by then and his legs were in the webbing also :p)
    OK so rather than finishing his arms and legs, you want me to model and texture, and learn fur to build a wookie... lol...

Jeez... ;)
    No problem, right? :p
    Haha nope, ... erm... :P

I added some friends ;)
    104702.jpg
    You've got to admit, compared to making a Wookiee, finishing 3PO sounds simple. :lol:

You know I love your astromechs. :)
    And so do I ... cannot get enough of them :P
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    That's a real nice grimy metal shader you got going there
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Wiz wrote: »
    And so do I ... cannot get enough of them :P
    You might want to sit down with a therapist about that... :D
    lol, I am beyond help ;)
    Very slow progress,... :)
    105459.png
    Will post a version of this in the 3D WIP :)
    Well its been a while... but here I go again...

Corrected proportions, now onto the belly wires next and then I want to redo the upper arms and do the lower arms and hands, so more updates to come at I hope more regular intervals ;)
    109343.jpg
    And here is he is a shot I did for an A2 print.
    109344.jpg
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Looking good so far- especially like the "print" style. Should be interesting to see how this pans out- modelling smooth "human" shapes was never a strong point of mine... :p
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    Thanks, and yeah organics are not my strength either, but getting better ;)
    One for fun, a droid groupie! ;)
    109346.jpg
    I can just picture 3PO as a Televangelist, with the astromechs as his choir.
    :D
    He looks like he's doing a rap cover.
    3PO in da place! :P
    Here was 3PO's first attempt at the selfie ;)
    109351.jpg
    I guess that's what you get with those short, stubby utility arms. ;)

That's some really nice work, by the way.
    Why thank you good sir! :)
    Wiz wrote: »
    Here was 3PO's first attempt at the selfie ;)

surrounded by the paparazzi?
    :lol: more a groupie on the first day of shooting at Elestree studios circa 1976 ;)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Phenomenal depth to your texture job on 3P0, and corking renders as ever, just loving the richness of detail you're getting in there. Are you using Substance Painter or something? Great work.

:notworthy:

:thumb:
    Thanks matey.

Not used Substance Painter (although recently downloaded the demo so may be switching over to it as it looks pretty damn cool :)).

I used Photoshop however I work with blended/mix materials in Max creating layers of shaders each with varying roughness/texture maps and expose the various layers via alpha maps :)

So for 3PO he has a base layer with its own texture set (rough, with very little reflection), and then a top chromed shine (again its own texture set) for the Gold, and with the Alpha I create a damage map to bring up the bottom layer (offering varying density and levels of roughness :))
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. Yeah, when you get into using Substance Painter you'll see it does all that sort of stuff for you on the fly. It was that level of depth of material work and blending which made me think you were using that software. So excellent that you're achieving that level of material depth and attention to detail off your own back. I had a dabble earlier in the Summer, used it to texture that EE-3 Blaster Carbine and absolutely loved it, so when less skint will definitely be investing in the full version of the software.
    Yeah watched a number of tutorials on it, and had a quick dabble on the demo (limits you to 1024 maps), and looks pretty damn cool, so will be looking to purchase at some point in the near future :)