Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNaucrate Class

VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Evening Gentlemen and Ladies!

Been about 6 months since I last done any ship for fun!! ( Even my off time 3D work is.. well.. WORK! ugh..)

So decided to make this little ship, been eyeing it for some time, one of those "when I get to it" projects.. and something small is the perfect way to get back in to personal time!

So I present the Naucrate Class, By The Hand Of Manos!

So, not much to work with, just an MSD and a perspective.. so bunch of speculative design going on!

So, working on it for a couple of days, got the warp engines figured out (as a whole the most detailed info from the drawings) and some basic hull and eng section blocked out.. so hopefully by the end of the month ( nice long scheduale!) she'll be done!

LINK a link to Mr. Mano's Deviant art for those interested ( lots of nice designs!)

Thanks!
104915.jpg
Post edited by VALKYRIE013 on
Tagged:

• madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Neat, I really like Starfleet ships with spherical hulls. Those don't show up very often. :)

-Ricky
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Nice to see this design done in 3D.
    I agree with Ricky, there aren't enough ships with spherical hulls. :D
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Thanks guys! Yeah, I have a soft spot for spherical hulls myself! :)

so, more work on her, getting her blocked out n'stuff Think I have all the shapes right, or.. close enough to the meger refs..

started on the shuttle bay as well and impulse deck.

Small ship.. 67 meters long, 8 decks, room for a type 6 shuttle, maybe a cargo shuttle.. guessing a small science ship.. ( no real reference to what the designer thought about it either!!) Oberth replacement i'm guessin!

Thanks!
    104241.jpg104242.jpg104243.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    That's looking good!

I remembered that Flanker did create a thread here when he first designed the ship, here it is.

It has some few technical specs that might be useful, and indeed it says that he intended it as an Oberth replacement.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Hi again!

Thanks Rekkert! I let Flanker know I'm working on her too :)

Bit more work! Worked on the shuttle bay door ( Again...) and started on the bridge/captains quarters area.. hopefully looks good!!

so steady on on this project, which is good since I haven't done much of my own stuff for so long..!

Thanks all!
    104266.jpg104267.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work. Can't say I like te overal design, but nice work turning it 3D.
  • unusualsuspexunusualsuspex331 Norfolk UKPosts: 0Member
    Loved this ship since I first saw it. The overall design and ethos just seems "right" for it's function. Looking forward to progress ;)
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    That is such an incredibly goofy design...but I kind of like it.

Modeling looks great so far!
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Loved this ship since I first saw it. The overall design and ethos just seems "right" for it's function. Looking forward to progress ;)

Ditto
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, HMS Tadpole. Interesting design. Will be watching your progress. 8)
    Thanks All!

Progress there be!! :)

so.. there be a shuttle bay ( I love shuttle bays.. but for some reason, I concentrated on this one a bit early...)
    Next is the Warp engines,.. bit of detail and mapping out the panel lines.. don't think there permenant.. but we'll see
    and also worked on the bridge area.. according tothe MSD, the captains quaters is behind the bridge.. ( and yes.. there is for some reason a impulse deflection crystal looking thingy over the cabin.. thinking its a skylight for the captain!)

so work is proceeding.. which is saying something since is the first thing i've worked on (personal wise) in near a year.. so pretty proud of myself for keeping on track and not giving up!!

so more latter!
    104362.jpg104363.jpg104364.jpg
  • TaidremTaidrem67 Posts: 279Member
    Interesting you build the ship. Judging from the capsules is the era of the war with the Dominion, if I'm not mistaken?
  • xumucanexumucane0 Posts: 0Member
    Love the design and impressed by your progress with the model. I wasn't sure I'd like those nacelles, but you've convinced me otherwise.

The window inside the shuttlebay seems a little large to me. I love the scale of this ship and that MSD is great, but the big bay windows inside the shuttlebay make it seem even teensier.
    Some new/better renders..

Thanks! and yes the bay windows are a bit big, looking at it now.. was basing it on the size of the room.. i'll fix it for the next render!!

Was thinking around TNG timeframe actually.. maybe 2370's not post nemesis.. :)

Thanks!
    104368.jpg104369.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Very impressive. It's an unusual design, but feels very solid.
  • TaidremTaidrem67 Posts: 279Member
    Some new/better renders..

Thanks! and yes the bay windows are a bit big, looking at it now.. was basing it on the size of the room.. i'll fix it for the next render!!

Was thinking around TNG timeframe actually.. maybe 2370's not post nemesis.. :)

Thanks!

then you should do the warp nacelles rounded, just then they will meet the era.
    Going with the refs so.. not doing much with the naccelles! :)

So, started on the "Saucer" section.. got the "Ring" thingy .. which is a phaser strip, or a sensor strip ( leaning towards the latter actually... ) and setting in some windows and cargo bay doors.. as the refs are vague on placement.. have to go with wihat looks good.! no room in the "Eng" section for windows though since.. its all shuttle bay or tanks..

also going with a nav deflector on the "Saucer" front something small but there!

so, trudging along!!

Thanks all!
    104440.jpg
    Been working on this the whole week.. but not much each day.. soo updates are abit sparce!

Okay.. Laying out the Shield Grid on the "Saucer" and figuring out the Nav deflector.. took ques off the Olympic class (Hope class.. whatever.. Capt Crushers ship on the TNG Finale) the Phasers are on the bottom, and have a couple other arrays on the eng by the shuttle bay. not much on coverage, but not suppose to.. Science vessels have a habit of exploding at the slilghtest sneeze ( Cough Grisom or random oberth..)

So continuing on, might tweak the shield grid.. or not.. we'll see!!

Thanks all!
    104599.jpg104600.jpg
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on modeling and an original design. May I make a suggestion? I assume the federation has a civillian economy and shipping, trade, commerce, etc. Could you class this as a civillian vessel? Maybe a cruise ship, a freighter, a supply ship, emergency transport, a mobile hospital/Medical relief ship, etc?
    To small to be a cruise ship, (maybe a personal, or "Company Ship maybe" way to small to be a frightor or hospital,. Sticking with Science Vessel right now!!

okay! New shield grid in! and windows for the "Saucer" put in! Tweaked the shield grid abit, put some rounded corners on a few things!

Slowly but surely working on this thing! And havent given up yet!!

Thanks!
    104682.jpg104683.jpg
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Your shield grids appear to be suffering from the "extruded normal problem." Have a look at this (it's a universal problem, not specific to any one 3D program).
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work on that. :)
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    Val, listen to McC on the hull paneling/Grid issue, he's got a good fix if your modeller can do insets.

As to the ship, she could be a small merchant vessel, an independent merchant type used by small businessmen. What If this was like the ship harry mudd or cyrano jones had?

As to a name, how about the oddball or the 8 Ball?
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I remember the original design, I said it reminded me of the Hope class hospital ship or a science ship that was a replacement to the Oberth and precursor to the Nova class. Nice job.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    It's a really cute ship. Makes me wanna fly over and cuddle it :shiner:
    well Named her the USS Alfheim!!

so got the shield grid and windows cut in for the Eng hull, and cleanned up the "Saucer" a bit!

Moving on to the Lower Eng hull, and the Warp Pylons and naccelles..

Thanks all for the comments!
    104782.jpg104783.jpg
    Well, getting closer to done! .. well atleast with the modeling part! still have textures to do! ( haven't done any of those in over a year!)( been working on 3D printing stuff.. and those don't need textures..!)

SO, Warp Pylons done, impulse engine done, some stuff on the bottom side of the eng hull ( render forthcoming.. didn't have time (actually forgot to render it during watching the olympics! Dolt!))

So getting closer!

Thanks!
    104915.jpg
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I got to disagree Valkyrie... I printed my Hayden with a gypsum printer and those are full color and will include textures if you supply them ^_^
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1924 CaliforniaPosts: 2,081Member
    Very nicely done Valkyrie013. Here's a question : Naucrate? I suppose I should google this, but where does the name come from?
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    only thing about this design is why a shuttlebay - shuttles are rarely even used on the biggest ships - this ship is barely more than a runabout itself so why waste about 1/8 of its internal volume on a shuttlebay? - ship should be capable of landing itself so not really needed