Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGalaxy Class in Blender

• McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Yeah! Now that's a Galaxy! :D

Nice work!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Fantastic work!!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Great work! It's coming together. :thumb:
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    After burning myself out from December into February trying to get the general hull shape down, I have only been picking at this mesh here and there. It's a huge commitment, and I suppose I will be working on it all summer. But so far I think she's working out. Can't emphasize how much better this verson of Blender has gotten. My workflow is much easier cutting Boolleans...

Question to anyone who might know: I have somehow developed a weird shimmery effect on the sides of my pylons, where they become perpendicular and meet up with the bottoms of the nacelles. It's like the effect you get when you have a flat plane meeting another flat plane, and they share a line of vertices. Ordinarily, I would separate the flat area from the rest of the mesh by duplicating the shared vertices... but that does not seem to help in this case. I have a feeling there's an easy fix, but danged if I can figure it out.

untitled1_zpsbecf79a3.jpg

untitled6_zps895c171e.jpg

untitled4_zpsf19b0624.jpg

untitled3_zps92b48525.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking great. This ship is definitely a huge commitment. The shapes alone are enough to drive one insane. But, it looks like you've got the hardest part done.
    That's looking great!

Can you post an example of the shimmery effect you're seeing on the pylons? As you say, it sounds like doubled vertices/doubled faces, but it could be something else.
    Looking great! Very smooth work.
    McC wrote: »
    That's looking great!

Can you post an example of the shimmery effect you're seeing on the pylons? As you say, it sounds like doubled vertices/doubled faces, but it could be something else.

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i2-QsiX2y4&feature=youtu.be

I turned up the lights to help show the problems. Look at the pylons right below the nacelles.

I can't get that flickering to go away. I detached the sides of the pylon platform all the way around, and that did not help. I made sure there were no duplicated verts or faces. I capped the end of the pylons, tried that both with and without sharing the end verts. Then uncapped them again. I put in extra loops in the pylons, took loops out... I did everything I can think of. It does not seem to be caused by any specific lighting factor. I just don't know what's going on.
    Huh. Yeah, it sounds like you've run the gamut on all the usual possibilities.

Do you want to send me the .blend file to have a look at?
    Huh. Yeah, it sounds like you've run the gamut on all the usual possibilities.

Do you want to send me the .blend file to have a look at?

Yes!@ That would be great. I'll PM you.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i2-QsiX2y4&feature=youtu.be

I turned up the lights to help show the problems. Look at the pylons right below the nacelles.

I can't get that flickering to go away. I detached the sides of the pylon platform all the way around, and that did not help. I made sure there were no duplicated verts or faces. I capped the end of the pylons, tried that both with and without sharing the end verts. Then uncapped them again. I put in extra loops in the pylons, took loops out... I did everything I can think of. It does not seem to be caused by any specific lighting factor. I just don't know what's going on.
    do you have radiosity in that render?
    IRML wrote: »
    do you have radiosity in that render?

Ummmmmmm... not sure. Where is the panel for that?
    IRML, radiosity is part-and-parcel of any true raytracer, which Cycles is. I don't think what you're seeing is sampling noise, though.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    IRML, radiosity is part-and-parcel of any true raytracer, which Cycles is. I don't think what you're seeing is sampling noise, though.
    well yeah but you can have it on or off

looks like interpolated blotches to me, if rad is on then that's what it is, if rad is off then it's something else

I have Ambient Occulsion set on approximate rather than true ray-tracing. I think I have most ray tracing turned off, at the moment, in order to increase render times.
    IRML wrote: »
    well yeah but you can have it on or off

looks like interpolated blotches to me, if rad is on then that's what it is, if rad is off then it's something else
    That's not how Cycles works. ;) Cycles is a full-on, non-interpolated, pixel-sampled raytraced renderer. The closest you can come to turning it "off" while still rendering with the Cycles engine is to shut off the light bounces entirely.

It doesn't do interpolation, though, the way radiosity simulations do. This can result in grainy/noisy renders, but not blotchy ones.
    I have Ambient Occulsion set on approximate rather than true ray-tracing. I think I have most ray tracing turned off, at the moment, in order to increase render times.
    So, wait, are you rendering in Cycles or Blender Internal?

Internal definitely has radiosity simulation and could exhibit the issues IRML is talking about.
    So, wait, are you rendering in Cycles or Blender Internal?

Internal definitely has radiosity simulation and could exhibit the issues IRML is talking about.

I'm using the Blender render; I've just never found a reason to experiment with anything else. I will switch over and see what happens.
    Aha! Then IRML may be exactly right about it being radiosity approximation noise.
    I'm using the Blender render; I've just never found a reason to experiment with anything else. I will switch over and see what happens.

Well, it seems like the flicker is not there when I render it with cycles. I guess I should learn more about it; I know it's supposed to be very superior to the internal render engine.
    This might help. :D

Perfect. Thank you!
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Wow, this looks fantastic. :)

I'd love to have a copy of the model, when it's done!

-Ricky
    Well, I'm going away on vacation for a few days, so I thought I would share the status of this mesh before I left.

As you can see, I got most of the saucer grid chopped in, and I straightened out the problems with the main deflector dish... It's more accurate now. I'm really pleased with the rate of my progress, although I think I have gone a little too fast in some places. Still, It's by far the best quality of work I have ever done.

untitled2_zps8e1ad284.jpg

untitled1_zpsfaaa4d83.jpg

untitled4_zps99bb7914.jpg

untitled3_zpsd7494544.jpg

Should have more in a few weeks...
    Marvelous! I love watching this develop.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I have a few complaints:
    1. This ship is a royal PITA to model. That's cause its an awesome ship. Look what you've done in two months - patience and perseverance pay off. I have little of both :D Don't be hard on yourself.
    2. It's not done yet :(
    Looking fantastic!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking awesome. :thumb:
  • The ship looks very good so far.
    Great job.
    I've kept on this mesh pretty steadily, and am pleased with the progress I am making. There's still a bit of odds and ends in the basic mesh, but mostly what i have left is the texturing, the Windows and the life boats. The windows alone could take me months to do. The pics:

4-12_zps25b7b167.jpg

4-13_zpsd6366214.jpg

4-14_zps8e1469bc.jpg

4-15_zps6aa2e4b3.jpg

4-11_zps3c5cd0ca.jpg

4-16_zps3f567b9c.jpg

The shield grids are 98% done, and I am very pleased with how they turned out. Best grids I ever cut, by far. Learned some new techniques, and the work time on them was not too bad, considering I cut some of them 2 or three times. (It was hard for me to keep them small enough to appear very fine, but still large enough to show up from a distance. I kept wanting to make their width too big.)

I find myself becoming more and more reliant on the good ol' ST:TNG Tech manual for reference and inspiration. The maneuvering thrusters and grid Layout come from there.

That's about it for now. :p