Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Cassini

• RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    That's looking very nice!
    Having secondary doors definitively make sense, despite not being there on some ships. It's one of those things that always bugged me, just like the fact that the Ent-D had a much smaller engineering that Voyager, despite being a much bigger ship (the reason is the same, of course: budget).
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    That's looking great, BorgMan. :thumb:

A lot of Voyager's interiors looked too big for its size, in my opinion.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    And weren't as good as the other shows. Sickbay was good, the bridge was okay. Rest was mediocre.

Awesome work Borgman, looks great.
    The interiors for Voyager were modified sets from TNG. (so, no, Voyager's engineering isn't any larger than the Enterprise's was, because it's the same set, it's just more "open" and looks that way) That's why they never seemed quite the right fit for the design. The NCC-1701-D is more than twice the size of Voyager. If they'd started over completely from scratch, rather than going from what they'd built previously, it would have cost a lot more money but probably would have felt more authentic.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I was having the same problem. I tried to find engineering designs across the web to find out how big the space for a ship of this length could be, but it's a pretty big unknown. So it could be that I'm still off, but this will have to do I guess. It's around the 17 meters from the blastdoor to the back wall; no idea if that is big or small for a main engineering. I tried to look to Voyager's engineering, cut the number of seats on the side in half, and actually was thinking about having just a single floor... but that really looked too claustrophobic.

There's a walkway on the second floor (that you've seen) and a small lower level with stairs running down (right of the PTC in the render). The whole of main engineering can be closed off from the bottom levels by means of an iris-like construction in case of a core ejection. Plus, it makes sure that there's enough space to eject the core while also enabling work on the dilithium crystal. This is the normal configuration, when the core needs to be ejected, the iris opens up, the core ejects and the iris closes off completely :)
    Here's a render of Engineering. I forgot to turn on some of the lights, though, so you'll get that one later :)
    105741.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    The consoles somewhat remind me to the Dauntless consoles. Nice work.
    The modeling is looking very good so far. The render itself looks a bit cartoony, but I don't know if that's intentional.
    Not intentional no, I'll see if there's a setting I need to change...
    I didn't think so, as your earlier renders don't look cartoony.
    Very odd... However, I'm in Spain the next few days so I won't be able to work on it. Y'all just have to wait it out I'm afraid ;)
    Enjoy it. :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    The layout looks good. Overall, I really like the design. Well thought out. :thumb:
    Aaaand I'm back!

Here's another view, this time with the lights turned on ;-p So, that leaves me with fixing the computer interfaces, perhaps changing one of those little rooms on the side to the Chief's office, and the railings :)

Which reminds me: does someone have a good source for general-purpose LCARS?
    105817.jpg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    I like it.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I like it.

Me too. :)
    I was thinking... In Space, no one can h... oh wait, wrong movie.

In space, there's no up or down. There's no gravity either (unless you install a grav-generator). And, well, I need a workbee. After reviewing all the workbees around the web, it hit me: Why are they shaped like a shuttle anyway? Don't you want your face as close to the glass as you possibly can? Why are you sitting in one anyway?

This is just a fast sketch (my first in a while) but I think I'm going to flesh this out...
    105853.jpg
    I like it. Kinda reminds me of a Starfury cockpit which is something that makes a lot of sense IMO.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i think it's a bit too small for the whole pod at the moment but i can see what Schimpfy says about a starfury cockpit(or perhaps the maintainence fury version). this might be good for just the cockpit of your pod then add some more stuff, tanks and engine nozzles behind with arms emerging from the sides at a point just behind what you have drawn. as a part for something larger i like it.
    For the Starfury it's actually a pretty dumb idea. You're positioning your body really close towards the enemy that way. A Workbee doesn't work in crisis situations (usually) so it doesn't really matter.

Yes Spacefighter, this is just the basic pod. It can attach to multiple types of 'appendages' through connectors on the back. Those indents on the side are to have the arms positinioned more to the front :)
    Well, the concept of fighters actually calls for you to put yourselfin the enemies line of fire. Look at modern fighters, thecockpit is still the most vulnerable part. Right behind it are engines and avionics, right at its side are the main weapons (usually some machinegun like weapon), while auxilliary weapons (like missiles) are on the wings.
    A starfury also has the cockpit at the centre (honestly, where could you put the cockpit anyway? At a wing? Still makes the cockpit one of the biggest targets...) and then four wings around it.
    The original starfury was short and thus had a smaller sideway profile, while the frontal profile may be bigger than what should be. The later starfuries (the twinseater Thunderbolts) didn't have that anymore, their design was essentially pointless in my view...
    BorgMan wrote: »
    For the Starfury it's actually a pretty dumb idea. You're positioning your body really close towards the enemy that way.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Akin to what Aresius was talking about fighter craft always put the pilot in a vulnerable position. The comparison I was going for, though, had to do with inertial forces on the pilot and how the standing position is better for straight shot acceleration.
    Couldn't wait much longer with this :p In spite of not having Kerkythea installed, I thought I gave you all a sneak peak of the bridge. I'm working on LCARS visuals so those that aren't done yet will be filled up soon :)
    106427.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    great design. good use of curves without making everything too organic and a nice arrangement for everything. LCARS is such a nice type of display.
    ps: i see he's heading for the galactic core, is he planning to repeat the events of star trek 5, only this time with a more advanced ship.
    That's looking great. :)
    Very nice. Love the layout so far.
    It gives a lot of satisfaction when it's done, but building LCARS from scratch is a bit slow-going, to say the least... Here teh first two engineering stations. The station to the right will monitor matter and antimatter intake but that one's not done yet...
    106454.jpg
    In your previous post I thought it was just the perspective, but now I can see it wasn't. The LCARS seem too large like they're set up for someone who needs reading glasses in a bad way. What you have is great and if you condense what's already there it will give you a lot of extra room for other random buttons and displays. :)
    Yes, the LCARS are definitely too large.
    Yeah, they're quite big, but I must confess that I really wouldn't know what to do with all the extra space! I tried to give it least some form of functionality, even though that means it's all a bit big :p But I'll look into it!