Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Cassini

BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
edited July 2014 in Work in Progress #1
A while ago I came by a model in SketchUp's 3DWarehouse: Optimusp24's USS Cassini. It's shape reminded me a lot of my own Hayden, though bigger and more armed. I decided that my Hayden could use a bigger brother for when it's getting a bit more rough and started modelling. This is not a mod; this is a completely new model from the ground up. I've ditched some features of the original model and added some of my own, creating what I think is a pretty balanced ship, with a noticeable design lineage to the Hayden. C&C is welcome, ofcourse :)

[EDIT] I've uploaded a miniature, image files in the third post :)
Post edited by BorgMan on
Tagged:

• Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    Great looking so far! I'll be watching this!
    :thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Nice work. So far, yours is looking better than that one that you downloaded, which is always a good thing. :thumb:
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Reuploaded so that I could place in a miniature :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like things from both sides. The nacelles are quite nice on both sides, I prefer the more streamlined ones...
    OK, things aren't really going as planned. I'm trying to link up all internal systems; I've made the computer core, several rooms, a cargobay, the shuttlebay and the corridor system. But I need to make a turbolift system too. This is essential: without it, I can't finish the bridge and other internal rooms, as I need to know what space this takes up. So is there anyone out there who knows the exact dimensions of a turbolift?
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    The diameter of the turbo lift was 8'
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    I like that whole split down the center design ( I know you are just remodeling one side and using the other as a reference type thingy) but yea that split center is a need idea
    I did a split down the centre design once. It turned out rubbish, you're throwing away so much useful space that it really can't bedefended that it's there for aesthetic reasons :/

Thanx for the heads-up Alonzo, I'll get back to work right away!
  • StarshipStarship474 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,984Member
    Updates? :D
    Ask and ye shall receive ;) Nothing on the outside yet, though.
    That's looking great so far. I love the shiny materials. :)
    Thanx! For the a direct comparison of the Cassini bridge versus the base Hayden bridge, see attached pictures :) The Cassini has a separate bridge-unit, like Voyager, while the basic Hayden bridge is just bolted onto the hull because, well, there's not enough room to have just that :p
    105141.jpg105142.jpg
    I like it. It makes a nice target for enemy fire. :lol:
    When it detaches in emergency situations you mean? Well, everything exiting the craft (like escape pods) makes excellent target practice, wouldn't you say? ;)

Here's another view, from the exit of the turbolift, past the dedication plaque towards the bridge. I need something nice to put onto my viewscreen... Oh, and you might find yourself on the plaque, by the by. I thought it would make a nice little nod to the people who inspire me ;)
    105170.jpg105171.jpg
    That's true. You'd think the escape pods would be cannon fodder. That happens in the game Halo. As you're evacuating the ship at the beginning of the game, the enemy is shooting the escape craft.

Nice work on the plaque. :)
    Ready room time!
    105259.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Dig the bridge
    The ready room is looking great.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    That's a very sexy bridge! :D
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Just a sign of life of the model. I'm working pretty much every other day on this. Main priority right now is making Main Engineering, which I've started by making the warpcore. Sketched out the layout a bit but I'm having difficulty finding a good reference point (not much 210 meter ships out there with a main engineering sketched out). I'm getting my girlfriend so far to make me a messhall interior (that's the top-right room). Behind that is a corridor with the senior crew's quarters. This is one of three of the five different types of crew quarters. Computercore is done, corridors are almost all completed. You all have already seen the bridge and shuttlebay, though that last one needs some work.

So yeah... Coming along just nicely :)
    105494.jpg105495.jpg
    Looking good so far. I see you went with the Enterprise-E blue on top and red on bottom look.
    Yeah, I find that a very comforting color combination. Plus, I like having a central focus point. That really bugged me about Voyager's core.

[EDIT] On a side note, are there any other access possibilities to Main Engineering, for example on different decks (apart from Jefferies Tubes)? Or just a single deck with the humongous blast door?
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    I believe that the NX Class, Intrepid class and 1701 refit both had entries on the upper levels. If I recall correctly, their engine rooms were two decks high.
    We can see the NX engineering having people enter and leave from the catwalk on the second level.
    In the few shots on the second level of the Voyager engineering room, you can see two doors to either side of the warp-core.
    There's a overhead-room in the Defiants engineering room (from where Sisko and the first Weyoun we met were apparently overlooking the drill in "To the Death")
    Dunno about the 1701-refit.
    Just checked on Trek Core, the 1701 refit engine-room had at least two decks. in both TMP and TWOK.
    I'm not sure how to handle this. Having multiple access points to such an important area seems logical, but on the other hand pretty dangerous. Next to that, I'm not really understanding why we see big blast doors at the main entrance, but not on other levels?
    Well, who knows how tough the smaller doors are..
    But from a real-world view: That's a logical lapse from the writers.
    Most likely budget and manpower restraints. Unless they really needed it for the show, they went without.
    Oh I understand the budget constraints part; right now I need to decide wether I put extra access parts on the upper level. Which, thinking about it, I probably will: two access doors on the sides of level two, circumventing the turbolift tunnel... in some way or another. It's coming along just fine ^_^
    Well hello there warpcore!
    105572.jpg