Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAndy Probert's parallel Design of U.S.S. HELIOS NCC-2389

vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2013 in Work in Progress #1
This is model that I did few weeks ago, based on Andy Probert's parallel Design with another Designer who's name he cannot unfortunately recall and he's message is, that if anyone recognizes the similarity, please mention the other Designer.

Because I had few of Andy's sketches (initially, they were made for Enterprise F), I decided to make them work and integrate them in one ship. I just used best of all his sketches and trimmed unnecessary things, add few stunts of my own and viola. Because I made this model I felt free to name it as well.

U.S.S.HELIOS NCC-2389 is the new APOGEE class heavy cruiser of the 25th century. Made for deep space exploration and for long duration missions. Its saucer section is little bit smaller than the Ent. D's, however because its long ship it measures 962m.

PS -because its WIP model, some of the model geometry isnt connected yet properly.

ussHelios_001.jpg ussHelios_002.jpg ussHelios_003.jpg ussHelios_004.jpg ussHelios_005.jpg ussHelios_006.jpg ussHelios_007.jpg ussHelios_008.jpg ussHelios_009.jpg
102520.jpg
102521.jpg
102522.jpg
102523.jpg
102524.jpg
102525.jpg
102526.jpg
102527.jpg
102528.jpg
102529.jpg
Post edited by vmblast on
eagledocf15
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Interesting. Quite nice.

One thing that jumps out at me though, is front of the central dorsal, and that flat plane beneath it. All that 'flat' looks odd surrounded by curves.
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    Very cool. I think the designer you're referring to is probably Adam Ihle, who designed the STO Enterprise. I remember seeing some design sketches like this he was doing with Andy's input over on TrekBBS.

Is the ship capable of separation? I seem to remember the idea that the outer ring could be a Vulcan-style warp drive for the saucer.
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    Very interesting design. Your collaboration with Probert is certainly giving us a lot of great designs to see. :)

I agree with slybrarian, the other designer could be Adam Ihle. This ship certainly reminds me of his Enterprise-F; particularly because the double neck connects with the secondary hull and with the bottom of the saucer exaclty the same way.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    I really like the design. For some reason, though, the nacelle struts and nacelles seem a little gangly. I feel like if they were moved back a bit and beefed up some, it would improve the design. Definitely your baby though.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's really cool so far. :thumb:
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That's an interesting design!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    That is becoming a favorite. Nacelles should always be high--to get that swan like effect.
  • ihlecreationsihlecreations0 Posts: 0Member
    Well I can say it wasn't me but that does bear a close resemblance to some of my sketches of the Ent- F.
    These are the thumbnails I did back in 2010 that I was referring to
    .Concept-6.jpg
    Concept-8.jpg
    102546.jpg102547.jpg
    Pretty cool to see the dual neck thing is being accepted :). Looks good.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Don't like this one at all. And having more than one neck is, from an engineering standpoint, unecessary. It would be like having two pylons per nacelle.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty cool to see the dual neck thing is being accepted :). Looks good.

that dual neck is interesting, nice feature even if it has no purpose.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I'm interested to see how it develops. Just a question...why's the registry number so low? If it's 25th century you'd probably want to lean more toward a 100000+....maybe 102398. That is, if you want to fit in with the continuity. ;)
  • vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you all for support :)
    slybrarian wrote: »
    Very cool. I think the designer you're referring to is probably Adam Ihle, who designed the STO Enterprise. I remember seeing some design sketches like this he was doing with Andy's input over on TrekBBS.

Its not Adam Ihle. Andy said that he remembers to be casual exchange. Hmm Ill try to look up posts from two years ago.

slybrarian wrote: »
    Is the ship capable of separation? I seem to remember the idea that the outer ring could be a Vulcan-style warp drive for the saucer.

I havent seen any separation sketches, so I havent included them in model build. However, Im sure that, like almost every Federation spaceship, this one too have saucer separation capabilities. ;)
    These are the thumbnails I did back in 2010 that I was referring to
    .Concept-6.jpg
    Concept-8.jpg

This is very nice and also quite interesting to me, because it happened that I as well had some designed stunt (from 2010) in this direction. Tho I wanted to achieve something different -like to add ring or pylon type support for main hull. Here are few examples of that evolution (which resulted from being aimed at the new Ent F to the uss Universe now -Im still refining it) ;)

These two were the first attempt (base inspiration was the Ent D)

Enterprise65.jpg Enterprise66.jpg

Those rest came I think a two years later :p

F_V_01.jpg F_V_02.jpg F_V_03.jpg F_V_04.jpg F_V_06.jpg

And here are some Andy's suggestions for modification (which was interesting)

Ideas.jpg
    102555.jpg102556.jpg102557.jpg102558.jpg102559.jpg102560.jpg102563.jpg102564.jpg
    Juvat wrote: »
    why's the registry number so low? If it's 25th century you'd probably want to lean more toward a 100000+....maybe 102398. That is, if you want to fit in with the continuity. ;)

Maybe its not at all to the ST standards however here is the logic behind it (I really like to play with symbolism) -Apogee (term) is the longest distance between (core) planet and its moon, thus the fitting name of the deep space exploration class spaceship. Uss Helios is to -light in the darkness- (Helios on ancient Greek means sun/light) and number 2389 is shorten number for 238900 miles Earth-Moon distance ;) But I could always add something like B or C to it (2389-B) lol :lol:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104801&d=1374644855

I really love this one! Kind of a supersized Oberth class. Looks fantastic! Would kind of be inefficient getting between the hulls with a turbolift having to go through the pylons but I think its a really cool concept. Also, there are issues with the bussard collectors but I'm sure one could come up with an elegant solution. In fact, you mind if I play around with your idea and see what I can come up with? I will credit you on any images I end up posting.

-S.
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104801&d=1374644855

I really love this one! Kind of a supersized Oberth class. Looks fantastic!

Thank you ;) Yes, that was my initial inspiration 3 years ago. I also love Oberth class (as well D) so I kind of tried to make elegant combination of these two.

Also, there are issues with the bussard collectors but I'm sure one could come up with an elegant solution. In fact, you mind if I play around with your idea and see what I can come up with? I will credit you on any images I end up posting.

Sure go ahead ;) -just be sure to include (which I wanted to do) great and elegant solutions, as well new design directions which Andy Probert presented here http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104796&d=1374642759 :) (ofc if they fit your vision as well)
    I like Andy's ideas for the bussard collectors, but I see it as a TNG era ship, concurrent with the Galaxy and Nebula classes, so I really prefer your other version with the Galaxy-style deflector.
    I like Andy's ideas for the bussard collectors, but I see it as a TNG era ship, concurrent with the Galaxy and Nebula classes, so I really prefer your other version with the Galaxy-style deflector.

Sure go ahead ;)

Hmm...I think I have to start new topic on the forum with this class, that I'm working on as well lol :lol:
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member

I really love this one! Kind of a supersized Oberth class. Looks fantastic! Would kind of be inefficient getting between the hulls with a turbolift having to go through the pylons but I think its a really cool concept. Also, there are issues with the bussard collectors but I'm sure one could come up with an elegant solution.
    -S.

Ditto. :thumb:

I really love this one! Kind of a supersized Oberth class. Looks fantastic! Would kind of be inefficient getting between the hulls with a turbolift having to go through the pylons but I think its a really cool concept. Also, there are issues with the bussard collectors but I'm sure one could come up with an elegant solution.

I agree. This is by far my favorite among the designs Andy and you worked on, mostly because it's as elegant and organic as the Ent-D, which is what I love the most of the design.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I agree. This is by far my favorite among the designs Andy and you worked on, mostly because it's as elegant and organic as the Ent-D, which is what I love the most of the design.

Oh no, this one was way before (about 2 years) I met Andy, so this was all mine ;) .However, thank you for that lovely mistake :)

Omg, I really have to open another thread now lol :lol:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    vmblast wrote: »
    These two were the first attempt (base inspiration was the Ent D)

Enterprise65.jpg Enterprise66.jpg

Ohh, I like that! Looks like a TNG Oberth :)
    vmblast wrote: »
    Oh no, this one was way before (about 2 years) I met Andy, so this was all mine ;) .However, thank you for that lovely mistake :)

:lol: Well then, congratulations, you created a beautiful design that would fit so nicely on the TNG era.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    I really love the Enterprise-D deflector on that. If you were gonna take it in another direction, I'd move toward an Excelsior/Enterprise-E recessed deflector.
  • Bell'OrsoBell'Orso331 Posts: 93Member
    That "TNG Oberth" looks awesome. Wish you had gone with that one instead. It just really fits all together.