Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP USS Mitchell

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited October 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Been a while...I found inspiration when I re-watch DS9, especially...I fall in love with the shuttle craft Chaffe. Which was very briefly showed in an episode. So I am going to do this design I made: USS Mitchell, defiant class I think. The name: I choose Mitchell because it was an actual ship and it wasn't taken by others. My first choice was Minerva and Miranda, but no luck there. This is the very beginning a 2D sketch. Still have to do the bottom part too, and I think I am gonna do the back wing all the way accross.

mitchell.jpg
102748.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
Tagged:

• komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Started the design in 3dsmax. For the moment I use symetry + turbosmooth iteration 2 (Not collapse)

mitch.jpg
    mitch01.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    has potential if u didnt turbo smooth everthing
    colbmista wrote: »
    has potential if u didnt turbo smooth everthing

Well, what will you do then ? tesselate is messy, Smooth is basically the same option as turbosmooth (With less options), and MsSmooth gives the same results as the two previous.

The only other way would be to chamfer edges everywhere and do maybe 1 mssmooth. Is that what you mean ?
    i would go the chamfering route yeah as it gives better results as it is far more customizable the just slapping turbosmooth on every thing
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    this ship looks interesting, not sure what the final shape will be though.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    ^^ That. It definitely has possibilities, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the final shape will be. :)
    I got more done. Still have to do the down part and the upper wing. And also there is an upper bridge thing I forgot...
    mitch02.jpg
    mitch03.jpg
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG209 Posts: 203Member
    Try to use "crease" modifier (at value:1) that can be found at edge tab and make sure "show cage" is checked. You can use the cage to assign edges you don't want to be smoothed. Will provide better result with subdivision surface, turbosmooth or ms smooth and you don't need to add more polys to the edges.
    the pylons dont suit the design how u got em anyway inthe drawing they look great but yeah in your side drawing it looks like you have the pylons top front edge sloped and in ur model its all square looks dumb
    That looks really neat so far. :D
    I see what you mean vnm51. I didn't know about that option.

Colbmista, not sure what you mean by pylons but the side part that attach the engine are in the same shape has the top view. I did those a bit more flat. The engines however are different from my drawing, because the engine from the Defiant look more rounder. But it's not like the Chaffe, so...I might revised that part to get them more like the drawing or the Chaffe.

The side view I did on the drawing was very rough and not too accurate.
    pylons the section atteched to the nacelles that is what they are called even if they house windows an hull ways also the way i said it wth the front of them sligly sloped and not squared like you have them would look far better in the long run
    this is jsut a rough of it but it looks better then the square style you haverough.jpg
    102001.jpg
    this is jsut a rough of it but it looks better then the square style you haverough.jpg

Ok thanks for the example. I will try it again a different way. I made an incremental saved before doing the deformation, so I can come back in time a bit. Not like ST 2009, but a bit :)
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    komaro wrote: »
    I got more done. Still have to do the down part and the upper wing. And also there is an upper bridge thing I forgot...
    mitch02.jpg
    mitch03.jpg

This looks a lot better. You're getting good advice here.

I'm not familiar with the modeller your using, but it looks to me like this turbo smooth is a lot like the subsurf mod in blender. It's a very powerful modifier but needs to be used carefully to work fight.

If you have the ability to select a line of verts and crease or split them to get a sharper edge that might help, it's one way we use the subsurf mod in blender.
    Ok, redone the engine and the pylons to fit more the original idea. Redone all the shapes without turbosmooth for the most part (Some still must have it). Added the upper support wing and the back wing + the upper bridge area. What is missing is the down work but I have to do some drawings first.

mitch04.jpg
    mitch05.jpg
    mitch06.jpg
    mitch07.jpg
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla797 HelsinkiPosts: 2,868Administrator
    A bit late to the party maybe, but here's a neat trick: You can control turbosmooth with smoothing groups.

smoothing_wire_02.png
    Left - the lowpoly
    #2 - regular turbosmooth, 2 iterations
    #3 - turbosmooth modifier (2 iterations) set to respect smoothing groups. The red bit on the lowpoly, for example, one smoothing group
    #4 - same as #3, but with one additional turbosmooth modifier (2 iterations, default settings, unaffected by smoothing groups)

Google double smooth 3ds max for more examples.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    you need to give your ship some sloping surfaces the tops and bottoms of them are flat and un trek like
    again jsut a quick rough but it gives you a much cooler looking profile then your boxesyeah.jpg
    102021.jpg
    yeah.jpg 178.4K
    Guerilla, the method you show is more logical and less cumbersome, since chamfer produce odd result at times. I saw a tutorial on that matter and practice a bit smooth group. I am not in the mood for redoing everything, but there is two and 3 pieces i will redo. Anyway it's very useful for the shading too...

Colbs, thank for your example. I might not have that level of skill you seems to have, so not sure if I can do what you propose that easily. I just learned how to make shapes from planar...In fact, I do them all starting with planes, I almost never use standard shapes anymore. But I still have difficulty in creating many structures into a single one. You see, what you have showed me...I am a bit puzzle on how to get there and having the same result as you.
    really its basic box modelling the basic any one first learns...... u make a box u shape it u extrude then u shrink it to make the slope then u extrude again make the slope again and so forth....... who ever tought u you how must be really weird at modeling..
    really its basic box modelling the basic any one first learns...... u make a box u shape it u extrude then u shrink it to make the slope then u extrude again make the slope again and so forth....... who ever tought u you how must be really weird at modeling..

Nobody showed me...I did. Maybe that's the problem. And yes, what you describe is what I was doing before: Start with a box and shape it with extrude along the way. But I kind of switch to making all my shapes with planes, then extrude them...I found it faster for making custom shapes and follow a drawing. I don't know which of the two techniques is correct.

I did the smooth group thing with one shape and now I see the main central pieces don't fit. So, I guess I have to redo them too. I might as well redo them in one shape, like you suggested Colbs. I still have to to do something about the bottom part, because what I draw doesn't fit at all.

mitch08.jpg
    That's looking really cool. :thumb:

There's nothing wrong with box modeling. By definition, that's where you start with any primitive shape (cube, cylinder, sphere, etc.) and modify it to fit your needs. Lots of us use this technique. I use it more often than I do spline modeling. Though, I typically use a blend of techniques. (I'm also self taught) There's no right or wrong way to get something done, it's all personal preference.
    I have redone all the central part in one piece- mostly. I didn't chamfer that much because it was pretty bad, but I did use nurms + smooth groups. I did all the bottom part too. there is a small hickup on the nose part I have to fix...

mitch09.jpg
    mitch10.jpg
    mitch11.jpg
    mitch12.jpg
    It's looking good. I like the more refined shape.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    That's looking really cool. :thumb:

There's nothing wrong with box modeling. By definition, that's where you start with any primitive shape (cube, cylinder, sphere, etc.) and modify it to fit your needs. Lots of us use this technique. I use it more often than I do spline modeling. Though, I typically use a blend of techniques. (I'm also self taught) There's no right or wrong way to get something done, it's all personal preference.
    using sketchup(queue laughs if you wish...) i am totally different to both of them, i model from lines and build them up to form faces. my modelling is a very "bottom up" rather than "top down" approach.
    using sketchup(queue laughs if you wish...) i am totally different to both of them, i model from lines and build them up to form faces. my modelling is a very "bottom up" rather than "top down" approach.

Whatever works. ;) I'd never laugh at or criticize anybody's software or technique.
    Well I did the main shape like I use to do. I begin with a plane that I expand, and eventually extrude the faces. It's kind of taken from spline modelling, but I don't like splines at all in 3D software. I come from Illustrator and splines in 3D are very hard to get used to after that.

Anyway I did some refining, and made the two main textures (Who also have reflection and luminance).

mitch13.jpg

mitch14.jpg

mitch15.jpg