Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP USS Mitchell

• komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Update. I modified my main textures a lot to have a proper specular color on it. Worked abit more on the main hull and back shuttle bay. Made the front hatch.

mitch17.jpg
    mitch18.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking good so far. Though, I don't know if you're planning to do it, but you may want to consider rounding some of those hard edges. Just a thought. ;)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    also you might want to round the corners of the windows woulda been easyer to booleon them out already rounded tho ......
    colbmista wrote: »
    also you might want to round the corners of the windows woulda been easyer to booleon them out already rounded tho ......

I really, really HATE making windows. I know how to do them in Boolean (I saw the tutorials here), but in 3dsmax small boolean are just an horrible vertex cleanup each time. I don't have any patience for this, to the point that I sometimes just do them in textures.

In C4D there was a plugin called Chessnut, where you could clone an object on a vertex of your choice. That was very useful for windows, and didn't induce vertex corruption everywhere since it was on the top objects. In lightwave you can copy/paste polygons...
    I do small booleons in max all the time and they come out clean so yeah good luck with your design im not gunna try to help you out any more
    Don't worry, I can find my own solutions :rolleyes:
    Im trying to help inprove your skills but from the sounds of it your just to lazy paitients is part of the 3d modeling world its why games and movies take mulitple yrs to he made
    I don't use Max, so I can't speak to its capabilities, but Madkoifish has written some excellent looking tutorials, icluding one on doing windows:

http://www.madfishway.rr.nu/

By the way, everybody hates doing windows, but we do them ayway.
    I appreciate your knowledge. It's just that, this is the frustrating part for me, and in the past too. The shapemerge is something I have used and create vertices I can't delete afterward...Not sure why, but it's not easy to get around it.

I will try to make boolean windows.
    I am trying to do a boolean cut like Madfish is showing and I get missing vertex...sigh. I am beginning to wonder if I have a more global issue with Max 2012.

mitch19.jpg
    102122.jpg
    You honestly need to go on youtube and look up mote apropriate ways of modelling such as box modelling which is the main basic way of doing things yes its a longer process but the stuff that comes out of it is far better most decent models take up to a 3 weeks to a month to be done at an alright model or you can be like some people on here who work on a model for several years where they just focus on small area of the model and then move on to rhe next a areas models that are usually lik1mill plus in polys tho
    komaro wrote: »
    I am trying to do a boolean cut like Madfish is showing and I get missing vertex...sigh. I am beginning to wonder if I have a more global issue with Max 2012.

mitch19.jpg
    what do you mean missing vertex.? And if some are you can always bring out the cutting tool
    Oh, it was missing part of the cut shape on the bottom part. But I was able to do those on the top without any problems. Gone a continue like that and see if that's ok. Madfish tutorial is fine...but if I get more problems with his technique I will change of method. I know I could also bool a full shape too...

mitch20.jpg
    102124.jpg
    Madkoifish has written some excellent looking tutorials, icluding one on doing windows:

Great tutorial, but it should be noted that it's easier to do by using ProBoolean, option Union with Imprint checked. More cleaner and stable. :)
    Like I said, I know nothing about Max. At least, beyond how much it costs. ;)
    its getting there
    I will redo the top bridge. Now it's kind of out of place.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    I don't use Max, so I can't speak to its capabilities, but Madkoifish has written some excellent looking tutorials, icluding one on doing windows:

By the way, everybody hates doing windows, but we do them ayway.

windows are actually quite easy in sketchup. just use a few intersect tools then manually delete faces that should not be there.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Moving that window box that is causing the missing edge or vertex very slightly would resolve it. That is how I do it in C4D.
    I redid all the upper bridge, still tweaking on the central white par to do. Added some more details on the nose

mitch22.jpg

mitch23.jpg
    i still think you should round off the front edges of the pylon section
    Update. My keyboard doesn't have the CTRL key anymore, and I have to buy a new one...so it might get slower for a while, since shortcuts are very useful.

mitch24.jpg
    mitch25.jpg
    102163.jpg102164.jpg
    You lost both ctrl keys? Wow, that's amazing.

The ship is looking good so far.
    You lost both ctrl keys? Wow, that's amazing.
    The ship is looking good so far.

Yes, both. I tried it with a windows XP on a CD, and it's dead there too...It's annoying when you always use them ;) Gonna buy another one later this week (It's Canada day tomorrow)
    Got a new keyboard, so...I have redone the upper bridge part. I didn't like the previous iteration. This one has more focus and bring back the original shape too.

mitch26.jpg

mitch27.jpg
    Congrats on the new keyboard. :) The model is looking great so far.
    Redone all the phaser strips. Put glow on a couple of textures...And done the frontal yellow engine part, mostly like the Defiant (Not exactly similar). Put textures on the back wing

mitch28.jpg

mitch29.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    great work, interesting design, well modelled, well textured.
    thos are odd looking phaser strips this is a phaser strip http://www.starfleetmodeler.com/Starships/Intrepid%20Class/images/voyager_08.jpg also here foudn this just buy googling which happens to be a thread on here http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?76836-LightWave-Star-Trek-style-phaser-strips same technique can be easy applyed to max