Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRebuilding Endeavour

• RekkertRekkert4039 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I like that Klingon ship. Those little engines along the wings remind me a little bit of Mass Effect's Normandy.

I like your rationale of all the different houses having different designs, when I was working on a Trek total reboot a couple of years ago I did something similar, with each house being technically a separate political entity.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work on the Endeavour and nice start on the Klingon ship. I like the design of and theory behind the Klingon ship(s.)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i like your klingon craft and the ideas you used for it but i think there are some issues with it's wings. they seem too short(wingspan), too narrow(nose to tail direction) and too swept back. consider widening them and reducing the rearward sweep. the neck and bridge are cool but very blocky at the moment, also some of the rear section between the wings is too blocky and would benefit from a more streamlined front(unless you wish to add intakes of some kind there). even consider forward swept wings like on the BOP(very col design). with a little more streamlining and some changes to the wings this could be an excellent design.
  • The LibrarianThe Librarian0 Posts: 0Member
    Rekkert: I've made some edits to remove the Normandy similarity! It's not that I have that much against Normandy, it's just not quite what I was going for. And the way I see it, the different houses are all jockeying for position and doing their best to grab as much honour and glory as they can. I guess, as a reuslt, alliances start to form and the Empire grows off the back of that.

spacefighter: Thanks for the feedback - one thing I should probably point out (and that will hopefully be clearer now) is that those aren't wings, per se, they're the warp drive. You're right though, they are quite blocky and I'll definitely be doing something about that. However, I want to keep them swept back, partly to evoke the D7, and partly to visually distinguish it from my planned Romulan ship, which does have swept forward wings.

Updates to both ships (the Klingon vessel, incidently, is called the 'Ko'Dith' in my files. No idea why, just liked the sound.

I've added rear sensor arrays to the Endeavour and started detailing the wings (got the radiator structure mapped out). I'm going to finalise the impulse drive next, then figure out where to put some additional sensors.
    102045.jpg102046.jpg102047.jpg102048.jpg
    still not a fan of the d7 style wings but great work.some of the detailing is nice although there seem to be some asymmettry errors, nice positioning for the impulse engines on the back of the wings do they rotate up and down, it appears so from their type of mounting. really looking forward to the romulan warbird you plan on, will most probably be excellent. at some point i must take some inspiration from romulan designs into my own scifiverse, really awesome ships.

p.s. you should add(at some point) more details in the large smooth featureless patches of the Ko'Dith ' s hull.
    Nice work on both ships. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4039 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I'm liking the detailing on the Klingon ship, and I can't wait to see that Romulan!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Both ships are looking good. :thumb:
    One Romulan raider started! This is what I call the Magpie Ship, since that's the vague outline I'm trying to emulate. VERY rough at the moment, and lots will have to change.

Aslo, detailing on Endeavour's reactor (most of which doesn't work, damn it) and FINALLY got the impulse engines to a decent shape. Took me about seven rebuilds. And now comes with added docking tube!
    102074.jpg102075.jpg102076.jpg102077.jpg
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job on the magpie! She looks very Romulan, but not like a rip-off of existing ships. The design has a cool silhouette, but still looks still primitive enough to fit the era.
    not my favourite romulan ship, not keen on having that tail. look forward to seeing here patterned and textured though.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    These are great-looking ships! I love the tail on the Romulan; it reminds me of a red-tailed hawk. And the tailfins on the Endeavour are totally retro-cool, like a '57 Chevy.
    Thanks all.

I've added some detail to the rim of Endeavour's saucer to indicate the deflector grid. Not entirely sure about it yet, but I think that's because I need to add some detail to the 'buffer' blocks. Oh, and I've started on the cooling system for the nacelles.
    102098.jpg102099.jpg
    The last couple of days have been mainly about panel lines, though I've also made modifications to the deflector dish. Not that it is a dish, really. I tried a dish ala the NX, but that didn't look right.

(As a side note, I've been tried to work out how big to scale a Constitution class and have a shuttle bay that can house a decent number of reasonably sized trans-atmospheric shuttlecraft. The answer seems to be getting on from 600m and the wretched things still won't fit neatly sideways...)
    102119.jpg102120.jpg
    Grid lines are definitey time consuming, but they look great. I also like your dish, it's different.
    Thanks!

I've started adding a mechanism behind the dish now, plus a few more panel lines. I also went back to the drawing baord with the Ko'Dith's neck and drives - I think it's working better now.

And then I got distracted....
    102172.jpg102173.jpg102174.jpg102175.jpg102176.jpg
    ...by another ship to bear the name Endeavour.

Yes, I've started a Constitution, yes she's based on the movies - I really like the movie aesthetic, though I feel the design itself could be a bit neater. She's scaled at a little under 600m long, which I think is a reasonable size for a deep space cruiser, without being totally huge. This was based on the shuttle bay, mainly, which is scaled around the military transport shuttle. There are 16 shuttle stored in rows parallel to the ship's direction. I tried for the side-ways stack that they used in the movie itself, but it couldn't work at this size.

Goodness knows when she'll be finished - I should really finalise the UES Endeavour first!
    102177.jpg102178.jpg102179.jpg
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    That looks brilliant.
    would like to see more views of the ko'doth. those you posted don't really give much of an idea of the overall design. perhaps one from above front and one from below front. some of the details look great but the views could be more revealing.
    I'll see what I can do the next time I have progress to show on the Ko'Dith.

The Endeavour is really coming along now. I've started adding running and navigation lights (the physical parts of them, anyway), and the radiators on the wings too. Need to start putting in some vents and gubbins next, I think.

The Constitution is also progressing apace because I can't get it out of my head. The shuttle bay is where I'm getting the scale of the thing, so I thought you'd like to see the set up there. It runs back to about level with the front of the nacelles.
    102221.jpg102222.jpg102223.jpg102224.jpg102225.jpg
    The Endeavour looks great. :D
    Some more details: the sensor domes, vents on the deflector grid, starting the interior of the cargo bays (there's not much to see yet), lower cargo doors...
    102242.jpg102243.jpg
    Nice details under the dome. :)
    Thanks. I've not rebuilt the docking airlock as well - the entire airlock module now slides out, reducing the length of the tube and connection port, which look considerably better to my mind. You can see it in use linked up to the warp rocket, which has some more details and gubbins.

Also, my Constitution model proceeds apace, so it seemed like a good time for a comparison shot with the Endeavour!
    102303.jpg102304.jpg102305.jpg102306.jpg102307.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I love the rocket with the nacelles. I love it love it love it.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Brilliant! Love all these things sir.:) Very inspiring.
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    Love 'em. The Constitution is really shaping up. Trying to contain my drool.
    Thanks both!

Got some more fine details down on the Endeavour. I'll have to start texturing soon...which is rather daunting, since the most I've done with textures in Blender so far is a few Dalek ID tags....eep.

Also, the shuttle craft is going to need a higher poly hull, but the landing gear is rigged and functional, if in want of detail.
    102358.jpg102359.jpg102360.jpg
    The Ko'Dith is starting to come together now. For those wondering, the thing on the front is a disruptor cannon, not a torpedo launcher. The technology is pretty crude at this stage, so it needs to be quite large to be effective (this is the plot justification). This is also why there's a radation flare shield above it.

And I've started testing textures on the Endeavour. The one on there now is very, very temporary, just testing that I can get Blender to apply textures.
    102502.jpg102503.jpg102504.jpg102505.jpg102506.jpg
    I'm loving the Klingon ship. :D

It's definitely important to do test textures. Are you using Cycles or Blender Internal to render? (I couldn't figure out textures in Cycles, but I hardly tried)