Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRebuilding Endeavour

The LibrarianThe Librarian0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Well, this week I've been distracted from working on my Liberator model by lingering exhilaration from the Star Trek: Into Darkness, plus some significant encourage from my friends, and have started rebuilding my alternative Warp Five ship (an alternative to the Enterprise Enterprise, that is) in Blender. And you know what? I'm having fun! [Admittedly, it helps that I have the accompanying plot swimming through my head as I build...]

I've built most of the superstructure and I've started detailing the rim of the saucer (with some radio, optic and phlebotinum telescopes, plus thrusters). I'm currently working on a shuttle to give me the scale of the shuttle dock, though I'm not quite sure where to put it.

My original version [http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?77491-U-E-S-Endeavour-Orthos] was rather crude, so I'm going to streamline her a bit - one of the things I want to evoke is the Flash Gordon style of spaceship, which is something that warp stabiliser fin hinted at before but which I want to nail more this time around - hence the spiked nacelles, of course. Not sure if I want to keep the cones at the other end, but it seemed wrong to default back to a ball or flat grill....

Comments welcome, as always! Expect a Romulan bird of prey and a Klingon raider to follow...

[EDIT FOR FRONT PAGE PICTURE]
102307.jpg
Post edited by The Librarian on
Tagged:

• NXNNXN0 Posts: 0Member
    Really intriguing design. It strikes me as the "missing link" between modern atmospheric craft, and the Trek we all know and love. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, nice design and nice start on the model. I was looking at your old thread and I like your model from back then, I look forward to seeing what all you improve on it this time around.

I did an Endeavour from the NX-era also, about 4 years ago. Though, mine was more of a kitbash of the Intrepid from the episode The Expanse, which I had built previously. http://evilgenius180.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/endeavour_orbit01.jpg Ironically, I've also recently completed building a new ship that I was going to call Endeavour but, being as yours is called that, I may go with a different name. ;)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Digging that too.
  • RekkertRekkert4040 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I remember your original version, and I remember liking it quite a lot. Looking forward to see what changes you make on v2! :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I like this!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    looks nice.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i like the tail and the pylons, also the small engine structures on the pylons are cool. will look forward to klingon and romulan ships.
  • The LibrarianThe Librarian0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks all!

NXN - there's certainly a heavy aircraft influence in her. I'm partly inspired in that by the delta/wedge ships from Enterprise, which I'm taking as the basis for the ships preceeding Endeavour (though when/if I get around to building them, I'll fit them with tails like Endeavour).

evil_genius_180 - nice looking ship! I have a soft spot for the Intrepid, so it's nice to see another ship in that vane. And sorry for scooping you on the name for your latest model!

This is perhaps not much of an update, but it's taken me all day to get the impulse engines looking right, so I'll post it anyway! Had to totally rebuild the drive pods to fit around my planned engine structure. Ah well, it was worth it I think...
    101866.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Something about the angle makes the engine pods on the left look MUCH smaller than those on the right. I can only assume it's trick of the image since I doubt you'd make the engines lopsided! :)
    Nice work on the impulse engines. They look good. :)
    And sorry for scooping you on the name for your latest model!

It's no biggie. I just kind of decided at the last minute to name it Endeavour. But, I haven't even put the name on the textures yet, so it's really easy to change at this point. ;) (not that it's hard to do after I've put the name on there, but it's even easier now)
    Ta!

Sanderlee - yep, it's the angle. See below!

Added detail to the nacelles and split up the thrusters. Also started blocking out the deflector dish!
    101869.jpg101870.jpg
    Looking great so far. :)
    the latest pictures show that the model still has some very good detail. i like the engine pod things on the pylons but the top of the saucer looks a bit 1950s.
    I'm actually trying to get a bit of 1950s flying saucers into her, so that's good!

Added some more detail, plus started in on the shuttle. I'll detail it much more later, but for now it's going to give me the scale for the dock. Not sold on the wings - but I'd like to keep them to keep up the tradition of shuttles sharing elements of their mother ships!
    101903.jpg101904.jpg101905.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    The saucer rim treatment is inspired.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    The more I see this thing, the cooler it gets. I love the TOS homage on the bussards.
    The shuttle is really cool so far. I like the ship too, but I almost like the shuttle better. ;)
    Thanks chaps!

Glad you like the saucer rim, publiusr - I'm very pleased with how the sensor batteries have turned out. I'll need to work out what's going in the rest of the gaps...

After much experimentation, I've fitted in two shuttle docks on the underside of the saucer. I figure this makes sense, since you'd want a back up in case one of them was obstructed. She'll carry four active shuttles, with one or two more mothballed in storage, plus a few inspection pods. There'll probably be a cargo bay between the docks, since that's the logical place to put it, giving easy access on to both launching doors and the main engineering section.
    101924.jpg101925.jpg
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Love this design! It's got that pulp feel going for it while still being trek. Keep it up!
  • RekkertRekkert4040 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    That shuttlecraft looks very cool, so retro!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Looking good. Nice thinking on the bays.
    Not much to report today. Mostly internal stuff, and I've spent most of the time reconstructing the outer hull so it's smoother (and no longer mis-matching in terms of the number of faces there).

Also started trying to work out where to take the Impulse engine cowls next...
    101946.jpg101947.jpg
    And now with teeth!

Still working on the pulse cannons, and I'm not sure about the distribution, but I like where it's going.

Oh, and better Impulse cowls.
    101966.jpg101967.jpg101968.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice.
    Looking great. I like the cannons. :D
    More panel lines and some detailing to the rim, plus nacelle thrusters and the start of a 'warp rocket', an earlier stage in the human space program. Going very Dan Dare for this one...
    101993.jpg101994.jpg
    that little shuttle is rather good, you've managed to do something really nice with such a short and squat design. in some ways it is a bit ugly but i really like the engines and fuel tanks at the back. as for the wings those are probably the best for that design as it is. the shuttle has a look about it as if it was designed mainly for reentry. you have built some rather good detail on the intakes of the bussard collectors.
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG188 Posts: 197Member
    Great detailed model! My fav is the wip17 screenie. Keep it up!
    The rocket is cool. :thumb: The big ship is also looking great so far.
    Thanks guys.

spacefighter - yeah, it's definitely an ugly duckling! I'll have to do some refining work, but I was very pleased with how those tanks came out.

As previously promised - I've started an accompanying Klingon vessel. My starting premise is that in this period, there is no consistent Klingon design - each House is churning out starships and making a grab for territory and spoils. I know it's not anything like that in canon, but the idea seemed to fit with the general feudal feel that Klingon society has. This, therefore, is an example of one House's raiding ships. I've grabbed elements of various diffent Klingon ships and tried to create, I suppose, the Viking longboat of the spaceways.

Also, the Endeavour now has more thrusters, phasers and panel lines.
    102017.jpg102018.jpg102019.jpg102020.jpg