Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAvalon Aerospace

BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2013 in Work in Progress #1
- - -
If you're looking for the Space Command stuff, it starts about halfway down this page
- - -

If you follow me, you may have noticed a somewhat frustrating trend: I can't texture for crap. So, I chose a relatively simple subject, rockets. Modeling isn't terribly tricky, and UV unwrapping is a breeze. No I get to let the texture quality (or lack thereof) show though.

- - -
TbiQWk1.jpg
This is the Banshee heavy-lift semi-expendable lift vehicle. (or, the first stage of one at least).Seven massive RP-1/LOX fueled Griffon engines give a full Banshee-stack a lift of upwards of 100 metric tonnes. Once each stage has done it's job, it returns to it's launch site and propulsivly lands on deployable legs. The stage itself is semi-pressure stabilized, allowing for easy ground handling without the bulk of a full-up isogrid style like the DeltaIV.

(An aerodynamic downrange return using a sling-wing configuration was examined, but the meager increases in payload mass were not worth the added hassle of hauling spent stages across the globe.)

0mmGI8q.jpg
A better look at the engine cluster. Each Griffon engine puts out slightly under 6mn, making it one of the most powerful engines in the world (after the F-1 and RD-170).

l0ghCbt.jpg
Another view of the engines, this time with the landing legs stowed. Each engine runs on a gas-generator cycle, and the regenerativly-cooled nozzle can gimbal five degrees for control.

FcDJDzs.jpg
A better view of the First-stage engine manifold, including some aerospace-engineer humor painted on one shroud.

SukzjB5.jpg
The First-stage from above. The cap of the LOX tank is visible, however the RCS for post-separation turnaround and fueling interconnects are still to be modeled.
101656.jpg
Post edited by Borkless on
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    The landing gear reminds me of KSP.... :D
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I dig!
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    well it looks very good, the texturing is better than on many of my models. look forward to seeing the rest of the rcoket. have you finished the CTS andrasata now?
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Very cool, along the lines of the next gen Falcon launcher
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    The landing gear reminds me of KSP.... :D
    Surprised you picked up on the landing gear and not the engines. The Griffin is heavily based off the LVT-45.
    well it looks very good, the texturing is better than on many of my models. look forward to seeing the rest of the rcoket. have you finished the CTS andrasata now?
    Thanks! I've been trying to brush up on my texturing skills. As for Andrasta, I finished the modeling, but she's got some tricky shapes, and I'm still trying to work out how best to texture her.
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Very cool, along the lines of the next gen Falcon launcher
    Thanks! I'm quite a SpaceX fanboy, and the Banshee borrows a lot from the Falcon.
    UPDATE (ish)
    In a ham-handed attempt to re-model the Banshee first-stage, I got the mesh all tangled up. Since re-doing it would be tedious, and because the whole point of this exercise was learning how to texture, I scrapped the mesh and started a new one.

KZISIZ0.jpg
    What is she? A frigate of the USAF Space Command. What is that? Apparently a branch of the Air Forces that Commands... in space. (can you tell how much time I spent working on the background lore?) Well, actually there's more too it from that. This Frigate is from a (holly fictional) 60's TV show set in the far-off year of 1999. Frigates like these patrol the system, on the lookout for Soviet marauders, Martian Pirates, and general alien nastiness. An Apollo CSM is included for scale reference.

VQNdmUT.jpg
    A 3/4th view. Gemini-style radiator belts adorn her tapering hull, and twin banks of phased-array radars are mounted on the sides. They're not that obvious, but doors just above the "U.S. Air Force" signage reveal the missile carousel. Propellent RCS mounted around the cockpit give a significant about of maneuverability. (How much is "Significant"? as much as is needed for the plot!)

ksCGHnH.jpg
    Her belly has a little less detail, other than the squadron patch emblazoned on her hull.

7WUyGo2.jpg
    The Engine bank and primary fuel tank has four radially mounted reverse thruster packs. These engines lack the ISP of the mains, but have an enormous TWR, and are invaluable when you need to stop now.

tS2ziLF.jpg
    The Main engines themselves are... sorta... Nuclear Thermal Rocket-ish. Clustering that many reactors that close together probably wouldn't be good for anything (not to mention irradiating anything alongside). So they're NOT NTRs, they just act like them on the show.
    Love it! Very well thought out. Hope there is more to come.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Groovy! The Thunderhawks are Go! Or is it Space Command: 1999? :) Anyway, looks cool. Looks like the show's model makers saw the Andrasta and based their frigate on it. Textures are coming along too.
    I am really liking the recent near space and retro future vibe going about lately and this is a great addition to it.
    looks quite good, nice engines again.
    UPDATE: textured up the main fuel tank. Nothing real fancy, just some roll-stripes and hazard tags. The "23" in a reference to the 23rd Space Operations Squadron which this frigate is assigned to. (I chose the 23rd purely because of their awesome logo.)
    2hSIwSv.jpg
    MrB66Dv.jpg
    LR1jLJh.jpg

Also, a sneak preview of a part I'm still modeling, the frigate's chain-guns. They will be mounted in two twin-turrets, placed on the zenith and nadir of the waist. Why chainguns you ask? Partly because an electrically-operated gun is less likely to jam up in space.

But mostly because "Chaingun" is an inherently cool word. Chaingun! Chaingun! Chaingun!
    nPyWH5x.jpg

- - -
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Love it! Very well thought out. Hope there is more to come.
    Thanks! Though to be honest, it's not that well thought out. I'm just pulling ideas out of my head as I go along.
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Groovy! The Thunderhawks are Go! Or is it Space Command: 1999? :) Anyway, looks cool. Looks like the show's model makers saw the Andrasta and based their frigate on it. Textures are coming along too.
    Thanks man! I was going for that kinda-cheesy but still cool feel. And the frigate is based on Andrasta, but in a roundabout way. I tried to build Andrasta in Kerbal Space Program but it didn't come out looking that similar. Later, I based this ship loosely off the KSP ship.
    I am really liking the recent near space and retro future vibe going about lately and this is a great addition to it.
    Thanks! I like to think the vibe is due to actual realspace stuff happing now. (SpaceX and Grasshopper for the win!)
    looks quite good, nice engines again.
    Thanks! They're based of the LV-N NTR from Kerbal Space Program. But... they're not NTRs. That's, uh... Costuming. yeah, blame the costuming department.
    this "kerbal space program" thing, couldn't you just have imported the andrasta as an obj/3ds/collada or some other common mesh format?
    this "kerbal space program" thing, couldn't you just have imported the andrasta as an obj/3ds/collada or some other common mesh format?

I would first need to tighten up the Mesh, the break it into parts and write the CFGs for everything. Andrasta's not scaled to mate with any default KSP parts, so building a lunch vehicle to get her up would be more trouble that it's worth.
    UPDATE TIME!

I textured up the chainguns and waist, and stated in on the turret modeling. The guns' textures are WIP at the moment, and the turret's still bare, but she's getting there.

Also, I'm not totally sold on the "UNITED STATES" lettering on the hull tapers. There's already plenty of lettering identifing this as a USAF ship, and the ribbing doesn't take text as well as I'd hoped.
    CyfCK8J.jpg
    5dtlcH4.jpg
    Up8kQ7s.jpg

I also did some messing about with ligthing to simulate an earth-orbit photo, with earthshine glancing off her belly. Must say, I'm rather pround of this one.
    ciy0Tka.jpg

And finally, a sheet of orthos.
    41BqSd0.jpg
    That is flipping awesome! Would the guns have jettisonable panels over them for launch?
    Thanks man!

She's actually designed to be launched without any ordnance. The turret-rings double as universal accessory plugs. This allows her to swap out her loadout for whatever is needed. (cannons, additional comms gear, what have you.)

Also, in the universe of the fictional Space Command TV show, this plug-and-play reconfigureability lead to more toys to sell!
    loving it
    I would say something about the "United States" markings on a military craft but... it's a TV show! :) Looking good. I like the plug and play idea as well. I could see you swapping out the engine section and snapping in a hull section just ahead of the radiators to create an Ultra Frigate or something.

Extra points if you get to say "Magna Lock On!" in the TV show...
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Nicely done laddie!
    UPDATE!
    While the frigate still needs a touch more work, it's close enough to done that I started a new project. A Soviet ship!

Known to Western observers as the "Souyz 9K" this vehicle is not in itself a true spacecraft. Instead, it's a universal rocket-block, on which varying command module-mission modules stacks can be assembled. This not only allows for great flexibility of roles, it's good for selling merchandise. The USAF ships, being the "hero" ships, need to stay reasonably recognizable, so their reconfigure ability is limited. But for the bad guys, ships can be cobbled together in any order, saving work for the model-makers, while boosting toy sales!
    fr5vg6T.jpg
    lKRbDiJ.jpg
    OFctTtX.jpg

- - -
    loving it
    Thanks! I'm having way to much fun working on it.
    I would say something about the "United States" markings on a military craft but... it's a TV show! :) Looking good. I like the plug and play idea as well. I could see you swapping out the engine section and snapping in a hull section just ahead of the radiators to create an Ultra Frigate or something.

Extra points if you get to say "Magna Lock On!" in the TV show...
    Ha ha, awesome. Didn't know there was such a show. Anyhoo, like I said above, the US ships are going to be pretty fixed in their appearance, for brand recognition. But the Russian ships have a lot more modularity to them. (This also fits with the real-world design ideals. Monolithic Skylab versus Modular MIR and semi-modular Salyut.)
    Elowan wrote: »
    Nicely done laddie!
    Thanks!
    UPDATE! (little one)

Did some quick texture on the Soyuz propulsion bock. They're not as polished as the textures on the Frigate, but since this ship is mostly a background baddie, they're good enough for now. The aft section with the engine rings needs more work, but other than that I'm pretty happy with this.
    lgythzl.jpg
    CYyYcdD.jpg

A quick size-comparison with the Frigate. (also showing the slightly tweaked waist textures on the Frigate)
    x12uAwR.jpg
    UPDATE (and bump. Wonder why this got so quiet recently. Oh well...)

Made a new part for the Soyuz Complex. The Zond Automated Combat Command Module. Doing double duty as a command and tactical module, the Zond packs four punishing DShK-K machine guns. each DShK-K is essentially a DShK HMG with a copper cooling jacket brazed around the barrel to circulate liquid amonina to cool the weapons in the vacuum of space.

Here, the Zond is stacked atop a Soyuz 9K Universal Propulsion Block to create the Firefly strike fighter. While the Firefly lacks the range of larger craft, or the tactical ability and strategic thinking of a manned fighter, it's simplicity, ruggedness, and cheapness make it a favorite amongst smugglers and pirates. (and, as an unmanned and rather whimpy ship, it fills the role of "cannon-fodder mook" on the show)
    efRf2z3.jpg
    39DkkkN.jpg
    1tIBTdJ.jpg
    Notice the umbilical leading from the Zond to the 9k, allowing command interlink.

Finally, a quick Ortho I knocked together. Should probably spiff up the SPS engines on the 9K, but I think it's presentable enough for tonight's WIP dump.
    rp7o55K.jpg
    The textures look good. If you're using Photoshop, you could add noise and blur the texture so that it isn't quite so uniform. Another trick would be to scour the Internet for pictures of Soyuz and Progress (good high-rez ones), then cut and paste onto your texture map. I did that a lot with the Appaloosa.
    The textures look good. If you're using Photoshop, you could add noise and blur the texture so that it isn't quite so uniform. Another trick would be to scour the Internet for pictures of Soyuz and Progress (good high-rez ones), then cut and paste onto your texture map. I did that a lot with the Appaloosa.
    I'm actually using GIMP, but the noise/blur thing works (apparently) pretty much the same, and, whatda know, it came out looking very nice. (I also punched up the contrast on some of the panels to look like mismatched paint)
    bnZcoOb.jpg

Also, I considered texturing with photos, but all the photos of Progress that I can find are of the newer Progress-M which has thermal blankets over everything. Plus, I'm going for a slightly stylized look here.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Outstanding work.
    well textured.
    UPDATE: You know how I said the Soviet craft is modular? Well I meant it. Slap a Gidra ("hydra") Heavy Combat Block between the 9K and Zond and you get yourself a Flagon Assault spacefighter.
    WAPO9Ev.jpg
    The Gidra is placed behind the Zond command pod, revering the "CommandModule-OrbitalModule" order used in the real-world Soyuz. It does, however, mirror the Command Module-first design of the realworld militarized Soyuz.
    EY7sdPf.jpg

The barrel-shaped module contains a carousel mounting 16 missiles, and can be loaded with "Air-to-Air" (ie, high agility), "Air-To-Ship"(ie, large warhead), or "Cruise"(ie high DeltaV) missiles. Simple rolling slats protect the missiles whilst the ship is not in combat. (And for show purposes, having a Flagon spread its doors is dramatic and looks cool.)
    uDbcV1e.jpg
    wsgeefD.jpg

Here's a Flagon flying in formation with a Firefly. Because I can.
    sls5Emd.jpg

As a final note, I'm not certain I like the radiator on the Gidra. After all, the module's just a can 'o missiles. Here's a render without. Which do you like better?
    PMv4NIx.jpg

- - -
    publiusr wrote: »
    Outstanding work.
    Thanks! I'm really enjoying this project. Nice to get stuff finished for once.
    well textured.
    Thanks! Getting nice textures was the whole point of this exercise.
    Alright, last update of the night. Whipped together the compoents to make a manned ship using the Soyuz Complex. Engine block is the same 9K as always, but now with a Soyuz 7K Command Capsule and kinzhal ("dagger") universal Combat Block.
    -05-735555_tn.jpg

The Kinzahl features the same quad DShK mounts as the Zond.
    -05-735602_tn.jpg

And finally, an ortho sheet of this... somewhat fugly little ship.
    -05-735644_tn.jpg
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Kinzhal looks best of them. Thou windows are somewhat usless - normally, they are used for correction during docking maneuvers, and with such placement, the pilots won`t be able to see straight forward.

As for radiators on missile section - if you`ve got some electronics and motors inside - you require radiator. Maybe not that large, but smaller one will be a good detail. Same goes for habitable section.

Any way - great work. You really captured that "cold war" feeling. Another note - military stations and orbiters, were build under "Almaz" (diamond) codename. You may like to google the details, since 23mm cannon was actually tested in space.
    nice, modular design is a good idea and the missile bays are as you said dramatic and cool.