Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAvalon Aerospace

2»

• BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Kinzhal looks best of them. Thou windows are somewhat usless - normally, they are used for correction during docking maneuvers, and with such placement, the pilots won`t be able to see straight forward.
    Thanks, though technically "Kinzhal" only referes to the tactical module. The entire ship would get a NATO codename that I have yet to come up with. And the windows aren't there for the crew's benifit, they're there so the audience knows this is a manned ship.
    As for radiators on missile section - if you`ve got some electronics and motors inside - you require radiator. Maybe not that large, but smaller one will be a good detail. Same goes for habitable section.
    Point. And the way it breaks up the silhouette has kinda grown on me.
    Any way - great work. You really captured that "cold war" feeling. Another note - military stations and orbiters, were build under "Almaz" (diamond) codename. You may like to google the details, since 23mm cannon was actually tested in space.
    Thanks man! I was going for the "cold war" feeling. And I had actually read about the Almaz stations. But 23mm is a really big gun, and Almaz was based more off a TKS heavy spacecraft than the smaller Soyuz. Rest assured I have some plans to build stuff based off the TKS-style soon.
    nice, modular design is a good idea and the missile bays are as you said dramatic and cool.
    Thanks! Like I said, modularity is sort of a Soviet design principle. Mir, and to an extend Sayuts 6 and 7 were fairly modular, and they swapped out the orbital module of a Soyuz for a dedicated mission module on at least one occasion.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Borkless wrote: »
    And the windows aren't there for the crew's benifit, they're there so the audience knows this is a manned ship.

First thing - such "cut in" square windows, seems to be too "american" IMHO. On Soyuz, windows were round, as far as I remember. I still have no idea how to make them both usefull and "theatrical"... Maybe some sort of observation dome? Or just scrap forward looking ones (cameras will do the work) and place pair of round ones on the sides?

Also, some sort of retractable mast with radar/communication dish could look good.

BTW, 23mm gun isn`t that large. Its a standard weapon for MiG-15, which is really compact fighter.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Looking awesome!
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Are action figures sold separately? This is looking cool! Reminds me of a pirana for some reason.
    First thing - such "cut in" square windows, seems to be too "american" IMHO. On Soyuz, windows were round, as far as I remember. I still have no idea how to make them both usefull and "theatrical"... Maybe some sort of observation dome? Or just scrap forward looking ones (cameras will do the work) and place pair of round ones on the sides?

Also, some sort of retractable mast with radar/communication dish could look good.

BTW, 23mm gun isn`t that large. Its a standard weapon for MiG-15, which is really compact fighter.
    I tried using round windows, but it gave the ship a sort of "ho-hum" appearance, like a surprised 3-year-old. Since I wanted "dangerous" rather than "cute" I went with more US-style recessed windows. Functionality-wise, I decided they're for the passengers to make observations of star-sighting from. The Pilot sits dead-center and flys purely off instruments.

And though I read 23mm and typed 23mm, I was thinking 37mm for some reason. While the 37mm was flown on some aircraft, it's still a legitimately huge shell, and would be massive overkill for most targets.
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Looking awesome!
    Thanks!
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Are action figures sold separately? This is looking cool! Reminds me of a pirana for some reason.
    Um... action figures are sold whenever I sort out my organic modeling skills ;) Anyways, thanks for the comments! I wasn't thinking Piranha, but it's evocative imagery. Hmm.... what's Russian for Piranha....
    UPDATE: I got bored and decided to whip together an Incredibly Cross Sections spread of the Soyuz. But, not a cross-section, because I'm to lazy to do interiors. Anyways... here ya go!
    (It's a fairly large image, so full view please!)
    -07-971983_tn.jpg
    Nice nice nice! this is right up my alley!
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Very cool, I love these retro-future designs, more, more give me more, lol.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice fact sheet style image, some spelling mistakes (this image from a US spyglass sattlite) and a bit dark, for this type of thing the pictures of the craft should be clear and brightly lit. i am interested to see what you model next.
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Actually given that spy sats have, for the most part, a fixed focal length lens, especially old ones, getting a close up would be difficult and likely blurry with wierd light artifacts if it tracked it for a while to get a clear shot.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    Godsdamn Ruskies!

Lol that looks pretty good!
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    when i said it was dark i was reffering to the main picture of the craft in the image, as for the spy satellite picture that is a very good impression of an image taken from such a device. really does remind me of cold war photos, like the first photos of a new russian craft.
    this sort of thing
    Attachment not found.
    Fixed a few typos, here's the new image.
    -08-54656_tn.jpg
    Nice nice nice! this is right up my alley!
    Thanks! You got some cool stuff yourself.!
    Knight26 wrote: »
    Very cool, I love these retro-future designs, more, more give me more, lol.
    They're quite fun to work on. I like trying to mesh what could really fly with what looks cool and typically scifi-shipish.
    nice fact sheet style image, some spelling mistakes (this image from a US spyglass sattlite) and a bit dark, for this type of thing the pictures of the craft should be clear and brightly lit. i am interested to see what you model next.
    Well, considering how quickly I threw that together (and how bad my typing can get) I'm not surprised there's typos, thanks for pointing that out.

The image looks plenty bright to me though. Maybe it's because I'm so used to looking at the shape.
    Godsdamn Ruskies!

Lol that looks pretty good!
    Thanks!
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    it could be dark to him beacuse each person has diff settings on the monitors so to you what might be visiable to him well yeah might not
    True, and some of my earlier renders weren't lit that well. But for this sheet I added more lighting and got the image as bright as I could.

On my machine it looks almost too bright.
    Started in on a new ship, this one a full-up cruiser. Unlike the little Frigate, she's got enough deltaV and consumables to spend long periods of time away from base, perfect for our enterprising heroes!

-22-272562_tn.jpg
    As you can see, it's a very rough model. The main hull barrel section is 10m in diameter (same as the Saturn V first and second stages). How does this compare with the frigate? I honestly don't know, I didn't think to build the other ships to any sort of consistent scale.

Two turrets will be mounted in tandem along the zenith and nadir (Back and Belly) and there will be a missile complement as well.

-22-272760_tn.jpg
    Here's a better look at the drive section. There's eight tanks bundled together, reminiscent of the real-world Saturn IB launch vehicle. Again, it's pretty rough, and I have yet to place the RCS thrusters or Retrograde braking engines.

And, on the off chance anyone finds it interesting, here's the plans/concept art for this cruiser. (The ship atop it is some sort of tanker with an inflatable tank mounted to the nose.) -22-272530_tn.jpg
    Your work is just outstanding, it's so well thought out and plausible. Very inspiring!
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    How does this compare with the frigate? I honestly don't know, I didn't think to build the other ships to any sort of consistent scale.
    Actually, I think you do know. :) Back on your post #7 you posted an image of the USAF frigate next to an Apollo CSM. Wikipedia claims the CSM is about 11 meters long and 3.9 meters in diameter. So since your cruiser has a 10m diameter, you can extrapolate how big the frigate is and how big the cruiser is. :)

Here is a fanboy estimate on your frigate (tongue firmly in cheek):

SpaceCmdFrig.png

Anyway, looks cool.
    Your work is just outstanding, it's so well thought out and plausible. Very inspiring!
    Thanks! Funny you should mention "well-thought-out" as I'm pretty much modeling my the seat of my pants here.
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Actually, I think you do know. :) Back on your post #7 you posted an image of the USAF frigate next to an Apollo CSM. Wikipedia claims the CSM is about 11 meters long and 3.9 meters in diameter. So since your cruiser has a 10m diameter, you can extrapolate how big the frigate is and how big the cruiser is. :)

Here is a fanboy estimate on your frigate (tongue firmly in cheek):

-snip-

Anyway, looks cool.
    I hadn't thought of that, nice work! Though the CSM mesh itself is scaled screwy (Blender has internal units, and the CSM isn't scaled right to those). Plus, looking at how huge the Frigate's windows are makes me think the Frigate/CSM aren't in good scale either. Ah well...
    Well, in a sudden burst of productivity, I whipped out more detailing.
    8921-23-350688_tn.jpg
    Added some more bracing to the engine mounts, both along the taper and between the engine blocks, and cowlings. Why are the cowlings there? Because they look cool. What's the in-universe reason? I dunno. A ship like this can aerobrake, so maybe that's why.

8921-23-350824_tn.jpg
    I also roughed in the retro thrusters (or their cowlings anyway). There's eight of them, one for each tank. I'm thinking they look too puny to really be of much use, and to be honest, the whole eight-tanks Saturn-I look isn't working for me. Maybe it's because the tanks are so much shorter relative to the rest of the ship. Ah well, can always build another tank.

8921-23-350974_tn.jpg
    I cut in the flight-deck windows. Here the two pilots steer the massive beast. This takes skill as there are no tangible controls, or seats for that matter. Maybe adding seats should be somewhere on the assembly checklist, hmm?

Finally, a comparison render with an Apollo CMS from Nasa's 3d resources. The CSM is in-scale, which should tell you how truly monstrous this cruiser is. The Cruiser's forward docking port could swallow the CSM whole.
    8921-23-351060_tn.jpg
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Detailing is great so far, but what really makes it for me is the overall shape (and for the frigate as well) simple, badass and quite realistic altogether.
    Great work.
    Minor update tonight, feeling kinda out of it recently.

8921-29-888214_tn.jpg
    Did some more work on the engines, busied up the fuel piping and so on.

8921-29-888252_tn.jpg
    I also faired in the areas between the tanks and added some wings. The wings are, right now, just rescaled copies of the Frigates' Phased Array Radars, and are there mostly to see if it looks right.

8921-29-888318_tn.jpg
    Finally, a comparison of the Frigate and Cruiser. You can see how much tinier the Frigate is. Exactly how much larger is the cruiser you ask? Well, I don't really know, I modeled the frigate more by eye, so I have no idea how big it "really" is.

- - -
    Khay wrote: »
    Detailing is great so far, but what really makes it for me is the overall shape (and for the frigate as well) simple, badass and quite realistic altogether.
    Great work.
    Thanks! I spent a lot of time getting the shape right, lots and lots of very quick sketches. It's been my experience that if something looks cool in a 10-second sketch, it'll look cooler detailed up, and if it doesn't, no amount of detailing can pretty it up.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    should design a ssto vessel to go with all these