Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRecreating the NX-01

• tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear it because they sure are painstakingly applied :P I've spent well over a hundred hours on this project so far.
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Something about the RCS thruster pack still looks different. Just can't put my finger on it.

I think its too narrow... the mesh from the TV show featured wider ones.
    Like this:
    http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss299/DeksRoning/NX-01side.jpg:original
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,630Member
    Dammit... you might actually get me to really like this ship, lol. :p Seriously, nice modeling... as I said before, very clean and detailed.
    Dammit... you might actually get me to really like this ship, lol. :p Seriously, nice modeling... as I said before, very clean and detailed.

Lol, if that is the case...then it will all have been worth it. Anything for the Enterprise! Thank you, glad you're still liking it :)
    ^

Aye, I am. In all fairness, the biggest problem I had with the ship (and all ENT Starfleet ships) was the "Franklin Mint" gunmetal hull color... I always absolutely hated the color of the hull. As indicated above, IMO, it made the ship look like a giant Franklin Mint model or a steampunk version of a Starfleet ship. Just my own two cents, though.
    It's definitely an acquired taste. From what I understand, the original model actually had a more bronze-ish hue, but somewhere along the production line it got changed to the more dulled out silver look. I kind of like the silver/gray look myself. What I'm thinking I'll do in my film is give the NX-04 the bronze hue to help set it apart from the Enterprise.
    So I went crazy and decided to remodel the top part of the saucer; the square part that sits on top and runs most of length...basically the part that the bridge and Deuterium ports sit on. I just haven't been happy with my patch flow and the overall accuracy of it the way it was, so I decided to just get rid of it and start over. It's looking better so far. Where it flows into the saucer and the overall bridge section is just looking much nicer. I'm taking a different approach. Previously, I tried to do it all as one mesh, don't ask me why because I don't know lol. This time I decided to just do it in pieces and it's working out much more nicely and cleanly :)

ship_wip23.jpg
    100913.jpg
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Congratulations!
    That part of NX-era ships usually turns out much better on the second try.
    Congratulations!
    That part of NX-era ships usually turns out much better on the second try.

Thanks! Yeah I totally agree. Helps a lot to be able to go in with a plan of attack based on the first try.

This is somewhat unrelated. I should probably just eventually start a thread for the film as a whole, because there's a lot of stuff to work on. But I got a good start into uniforms tonight. Started getting some pockets attached to the main body piece :)
    892365_10151829581914488_2114234040_o.jpg
    100929.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    That top saucer looks much better now, it resembles the original quite a lot more than the previous version.
    That uniform is also shaping up nicely. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804616 Posts: 11,188Member
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    This is somewhat unrelated. I should probably just eventually start a thread for the film as a whole, because there's a lot of stuff to work on. But I got a good start into uniforms tonight. Started getting some pockets attached to the main body piece :)

Sure, it's related, as that is an NX uniform. If it was a TNG uniform, it would be unrelated. :lol: Looking good so far. I take it the blue isn't that bright in real life, that's the camera flash making it look brighter. (I hope)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    That top saucer looks much better now, it resembles the original quite a lot more than the previous version.
    That uniform is also shaping up nicely. :)

Thank you! Yeah, I'm definitely much happier with how the top is progressing now :)
    Sure, it's related, as that is an NX uniform. If it was a TNG uniform, it would be unrelated. :lol: Looking good so far. I take it the blue isn't that bright in real life, that's the camera flash making it look brighter. (I hope)

Lol you make a fair point. Yeah, it's definitely a much darker blue. This was just a quick pic I grabbed off my phone. After all that sewing, I didn't have the energy to go grab a real camera and take a proper pic :P

Luckily, I've been kept sane by my sewing partner...
    891715_10200843459637173_726478380_o.jpg

That's Captain Archer if ya couldn't tell, the pic is kind of blurry. I think this picture crossed me over a line of fanboy-ishness from which I can never return...and I'm completely okay with that.
    100932.jpg
    There's nothing wrong with action figures. I have Godzilla, Data and a Borg drone on my HP all-in-one printer. ;)
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    :lol: Indeed, nothing wrong with the figures, I've got two Assassin's Creed figures, an Enterprise and a TARDIS on my desk at the side of PC screen.
    Besides, I'm assuming that your "partner" is an essential part of the process, as you can use it as reference for the uniform. ;)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Besides, I'm assuming that your "partner" is an essential part of the process, as you can use it as reference for the uniform. ;)

Good point, I didn't even think of that. :)
    There just was a minor update that might be useful to you: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/enterprise-tech-the-exterior/
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    I'd actually make myself a TNG uniform, but I can't sew worth a darn.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    :lol: Indeed, nothing wrong with the figures, I've got two Assassin's Creed figures, an Enterprise and a TARDIS on my desk at the side of PC screen.

Very nice! I also have multiple Enterprises and figures on my desk :) And you're right on. I was so glad when Art Asylum took over making the Trek toys, they've done such a good job with the accuracy. The figures actually are a great reference for the uniform. Speaking of which...got the main arm piece and a division stripe sewn in tonight:
    903484_10151831904304488_1046581732_o.jpg
    There just was a minor update that might be useful to you: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/enterprise-tech-the-exterior/

Thank ya much! Nice to see someone still posting on Doug's blog.
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I'd actually make myself a TNG uniform, but I can't sew worth a darn.

I'd love to make a TNG uniform, I've always liked those. And, I think it'd be much easier than the Enteprise jumpsuit, it's quite a difficult piece. Alas, since this is for a film...the jumpsuits it is. And they're just awesome uniforms :)

By the by, got a bit more in on the exterior. Got the detailing essentially done on the small rim surrounding the bridge. There's still some pinching and patch flow issues to fix, but I'm about to pass out over here!
    ship_wip24.jpg
    100939.jpg100940.jpg
    Howdy ya'll

In-between copious amounts of studying and classwork, I managed to get in another hour or two on the good 'ole Enterprise. More or less finished the trim area that goes around the bridge, as well as get the detail in on the saucer top piece. There's a couple mesh and smoothing errors to be fixed...but we'll save that for AFTER the big geology exam tomorrow :'(

ship_wip25.jpg
    ship_wip26.jpg

P.S. Does anyone know how to add an attachment to a post? I'd like to change the thread preview pic in the forums to something more current :O
    100964.jpg100965.jpg
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    P.S. Does anyone know how to add an attachment to a post? I'd like to change the thread preview pic in the forums to something more current :O

You should be able to just go to the first post, hit "Edit Post" if it doesn't take you to the actual page, but just opens the edit box in the post, you can click "Go Advanced" then there should be a button called "Manage Attachments," click it, opens up the attachments window, you can upload your new image, but you have to remove the one already there, if you want your new image to appear in its place... then you can re-upload the original attachment as the second attachment... I do it all the time to update my thread's images.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Okay... now I like this ship... :p

Are you going to be doing the "Intrepid" type ship as well?
    Nice update!

When you want to post a new message, instead of the text field below, use the "Go Advanced" button. That will lead you to a page with more features, including access to the attachment upload. You should remember that page from when you created this thread.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    You know I finally figured out what was bothering me with your model. Your hull plates/panel are not extruded as much as Doug's are. You notice that the grid line between panels is not as deeps as his. Of course I have no idea whether yours was intentional or not.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    You're right. Browsing through the screenshots from Minefield should give a better impression of the depth of those hull grids.
    Okay... now I like this ship... :p

Are you going to be doing the "Intrepid" type ship as well?

Thanks! :D Then my civil duty is done! lol. I've been considering it, but I think for now I'm going to put it aside in favor of some Vulcan ships. The main battle group in the film will be comprised of the NX-04, NX-01, and three Vulcan ships. I haven't decided yet if I want to include the Andorians and the Tellarites.
    Nice update!

When you want to post a new message, instead of the text field below, use the "Go Advanced" button. That will lead you to a page with more features, including access to the attachment upload. You should remember that page from when you created this thread.

Thanks! And thanks to Chris2005 as well. However, the part I'm having trouble with is picking which screenshot is the one that gets displayed as the thread image. Is it always the picture that was originally first when the thread was created?
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    You know I finally figured out what was bothering me with your model. Your hull plates/panel are not extruded as much as Doug's are. You notice that the grid line between panels is not as deeps as his. Of course I have no idea whether yours was intentional or not.
    You're right. Browsing through the screenshots from Minefield should give a better impression of the depth of those hull grids.

Hmmm...I think I see what you both mean. I'll have to make those a bit deeper. Another issue is that my windows are a bit too large, I think.
    The thumbnail that's used for the topic list should be the first attachment in the first post. simply edit that first post occasionally to update the thumbnail and you should be fine.
    It seems I've figured it out. Thanks all!

New update for the evening before I go pass out for the night. I've gotten started on the rear of the saucer. What do you all think so far?
    ship_wip27.jpg
    100977.jpg
    Was able to get a bit more progress in on the Enterprise today. Got a lot of detailing work done here on the back at the flight control area. Still more to do :)
    ship_wip28.jpg
    101033.jpg
    I'm baaaaaack!

I regret I had to take a few weeks off so I could focus on finishing school. I'm now officially a college graduate, woo hooo!!!

But I don't care about that, what I care about is that I have time now to get back to Star Trek: Horizon! I've gotten back to work and have a new progress pic tonight. I've gotten started on detailing the warp nacelles. It's not much, but it's a start.

nacelles.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, I put up the first vlog for Star Trek: Horizon a couple weeks ago. Check it out, subscribe, and stay tuned for more updates :)
    101439.jpg
    Looking great. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro