Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRecreating the NX-01

• tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Good catch! I think you're right. I really like that angle, I must have missed that shot when combing the web for references. Thanks!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    excellent modeling sir on the exterior and interior! Great stuff!

good thing about the NX is that there is a TON (reletivly speaking) of references out there!
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job on the modeling! Enterprise may have had it's lousy episode, but the NX-class (and especially the NX-interior) is far and away my favorite Enterprise. Love the work you're doing!
    excellent modeling sir on the exterior and interior! Great stuff!

good thing about the NX is that there is a TON (reletivly speaking) of references out there!

Thank you! Definitely, it makes life a lot easier. I also have the NX-01 toy by Art Asylum that came out during the show's run. It's incredibly detailed and accurate and makes for an excellent reference.
    Borkless wrote: »
    Nice job on the modeling! Enterprise may have had it's lousy episode, but the NX-class (and especially the NX-interior) is far and away my favorite Enterprise. Love the work you're doing!

Thank you much! Me too, I think it's just a beautiful ship inside and out :)

By the way, I'll be posting more updates soon!
    Howdy all!

I haven't had much time the past couple of days to work on the project, my last semester in college is keeping me ridiculously busy. But, I got some time to get some more in on the warp field regulator :) Adjusted the scale as well as got some nifty new details in.

ship_wip17.jpg
    ship_wip18.jpg
    100792.jpg100793.jpg
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Hm... how much accuracy are you going for?
    I'm asking because the back corners of that pod are supposed to be rounder (too sharp edged right now)
    That and the top section of catamarans seem flat compared to the studio model.

Other than that, the detailing is very nicely done.

I suppose any 'flatness' could be attributed to the notion its the NX-04 (design-wise mostly identical to NX-01 but with some alterations - the NX-02 for example had a different deflector dish design and sported a more grey hull color).
    Deks wrote: »
    Hm... how much accuracy are you going for?
    I'm asking because the back corners of that pod are supposed to be rounder (too sharp edged right now)
    That and the top section of catamarans seem flat compared to the studio model.

Other than that, the detailing is very nicely done.

I suppose any 'flatness' could be attributed to the notion its the NX-04 (design-wise mostly identical to NX-01 but with some alterations - the NX-02 for example had a different deflector dish design and sported a more grey hull color).

Oh man I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it straight away. I'm totally going for as much accuracy as possible. Given the untold hours I've spent on accuracy for other parts, there's no reason this should be any different. :)
    I've done the NX-01 years ago myself (and recently did some minor revisions - before SFM experienced a server move).
    It's at about 1.8 million faces and high res hull textures (but I've done it some time ago when I was still practicing my modelling skills, so some mesh errors probably cropped up here and there and other parts would have been better with more optimization).
    I would hope I was able to capture its 'accuracy' as much as I could (for that time frame), and I can understand how time consuming it can get.

Here's my finished NX-01
    http://s585.photobucket.com/user/DeksRoning/library/3d%20design%20images/Enterprise%20NX-01?page=1

You can use it for reference if you like, but the polar lights high resolution orthographic images that are available online (4k resolution if I'm not mistaken) would be the best source to work from.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Or you could just go to Doug Drexler's blog with the original model....
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Deks wrote: »
    I've done the NX-01 years ago myself (and recently did some minor revisions - before SFM experienced a server move).
    It's at about 1.8 million faces and high res hull textures (but I've done it some time ago when I was still practicing my modelling skills, so some mesh errors probably cropped up here and there and other parts would have been better with more optimization).
    I would hope I was able to capture its 'accuracy' as much as I could (for that time frame), and I can understand how time consuming it can get.

Here's my finished NX-01
    http://s585.photobucket.com/user/DeksRoning/library/3d%20design%20images/Enterprise%20NX-01?page=1

You can use it for reference if you like, but the polar lights high resolution orthographic images that are available online (4k resolution if I'm not mistaken) would be the best source to work from.

Dude, that is a FANTASTIC model! Very, very great work! The texture maps add a lot to it as well. How did you go about painting those hull textures? I'm not looking forward to that part, I'm imagining that the varying brightness and color of the panels will be a lot of work.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Or you could just go to Doug Drexler's blog with the original model....

Yeah I've been using a combination of both. The Polar Lights renders are absolutely fantastic and quite accurate, so it's nice to have a variety of resources.
    The hull textures were 'relatively' easy.
    I modeled the larger shapes and grids in 3d Studio Max Top viewport by using Polar lights images for reference and proper positioning ... the modeled panels contained a brick-like procedural texture (which darker and lighter color -so only 2 colors in that material) applied in a Spherical pattern.
    UVW mapping mostly.
    Nothing really special.

Same principle was applied to other textures... Catamarans and warp pylons mostly had just a regular brick-wall procedural texture with some very light noise procedural texture to top it off (other more prominent textures were actually modeled since it was a flat surface and I didn't have a bunch of RAM or a render-farm at my disposal to put in humongous textures like the studio did on their mesh) - the rest is the lighting.

This basically gave me the ability to manipulate the size of textures... so I just rendered them in 8k (more or less) for best results I could muster at the time.
    Sorry for my delay in getting back. I've been so busy and it's taking time away from the project, which irks me...but I'm getting a little done. I'll be posting some more updates soon.

That's a really good idea with the procedural texturing. I had assumed you had painted it all, it looked quite nice and not at all procedural in any way. You've given me some ideas for mine :)
    Good morning all! I was up until after 3:00am. Why, you may ask? I was memorizing my monologue for my acting class, working on a piece for guitar ensemble, and in-between that I was doing renders :) And now...I'm up just a couple hours later for class. So, I thought I'd post a couple of new stills!

More progress on the bridge today. I've started to get the guard rails in that go at the edge of the main bridge area and the situation room, as well as the main monitor and some other small details in the situation room. Huge shout out to Adge Cutler over at http://www.lcars.org.uk/ for graciously allowing me to use his Enterprise computer screen animations on the screens in my recreation :)

wip30.jpg
    wip31.jpg

I accidentally attached an older image at the bottom...but I can't seem to delete it, so ignore that :)
    100841.jpg100842.jpg100843.jpg
    Howdy ya'll! New pic of the bridge at the situation room on the first post. I wanted to update there so I can kind of keep a small log in one place of updates as they happen. Let me know what you all think :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, you've really done a good job of capturing the vibe of the show with the interiors. Exterior detailing looks beyond compare too. So are we going for a complete interior build? Or just the key locations?
    Thank you! :) I might eventually build out all of the interiors, but right now I'm just going for the key locations. Since I'm doing this for a fan film that I'm also writing, directing, editing, shooting, and scoring...I'm just going for the bare minimum of required locations, that is the ones that appear in the film :P

Speaking of which, if anyone would be interested in possibly working on the film, shoot me a PM. I actually would love to have some help because there are some Vulcan, Andorian, and Romulan ships that are on my list to get modeled as well.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    This is some damn fine modeling.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Thank you so much! :)

I have a new update for this evening. I decided to do a different sort of pic this time. I model all of my interior panels and monitors in a separate Max file just for my convenience. I finished a new one tonight, so I figured I'd render them all out together. These things really are the bane of my existence right now. They're not difficult to model at all, but there's just so many of them, and between modeling, UVW Unwrapping, and painting textures for them, it's incredibly time consuming. Still plenty more to go!

wip33.jpg
    100862.jpg
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,982Member
    Excellent work Tommy.
    Thanks! Glad to see you're still checking in and liking it :)
    Another update on the exterior. I had a couple of small inaccuracies that were really bugging the heck out of me, so I decided to take the time to fix them today. First off, the windows on the side of the saucer...they were a bit too large. Sizing these down by 30% and making sure all my surfaces were still flat and nicely aligned took forever, but I finally got it done. Secondly, the little thing-a-ma-bob that sits on the side of the saucer, there's two on each side...I don't know what these are called. Anway, my first take on it was way too small and the shape and details were off. I've fixed that now, and scale and detail are much more accurate. Pics below :)

The thing-a-ma-bob (does anyone know the name of this??) and the windows.
    ship_wip19.jpg
    Larger shot of much of the work done so far.
    ship_wip20.jpg
    100880.jpg100881.jpg
  • Amon RaAmon Ra0 Posts: 0Member
    Are you talking about the pods with all the rockets? There are positional vernier rockets, they do the same job as the ones on the space shuttle which is rotation and/or translation of the ship.
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Something about the RCS thruster pack still looks different. Just can't put my finger on it.
    Amon Ra wrote: »
    Are you talking about the pods with all the rockets? There are positional vernier rockets, they do the same job as the ones on the space shuttle which is rotation and/or translation of the ship.

I believe we're talking about the same thing. Thanks!
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Something about the RCS thruster pack still looks different. Just can't put my finger on it.

Hmm...is it the size of the thrusters maybe? I think the edges might be a bit sharper than the studio model, but I'm not sure.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804598 Posts: 11,184Member
    That's looking really good so far, I love your attention to detail. About the thrusters: the top cut-outs don't quite look right. I'm looking at reference renders, and the deep part appears to extend a bit more towards the edge, instead of going shallow.
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    tommygdawg wrote: »
    Hmm...is it the size of the thrusters maybe? I think the edges might be a bit sharper than the studio model, but I'm not sure.
    It's something about the cone of those nozzles and the added stripes on those slanted edges are parallel to the saucer lip, not angled like they appear on your image.
  • Amon RaAmon Ra0 Posts: 0Member
    We are talking about the same thing, each nozzle is a vernier rocket engine but I was tired and couldn't remember the proper name which is RCS.
    That's looking really good so far, I love your attention to detail. About the thrusters: the top cut-outs don't quite look right. I'm looking at reference renders, and the deep part appears to extend a bit more towards the edge, instead of going shallow.

I think you're right, good eye!
    lennier1 wrote: »
    It's something about the cone of those nozzles and the added stripes on those slanted edges are parallel to the saucer lip, not angled like they appear on your image.

And good eye to you as well. I've been scrutinizing the references with these things in mind, I think you're both right :)
    Amon Ra wrote: »
    We are talking about the same thing, each nozzle is a vernier rocket engine but I was tired and couldn't remember the proper name which is RCS.

Awesome! Didn't know that :D

I had a few minutes in-between classes, so what better way to spend it than on the Enterprise? I started to block in the nacelles (literally...a cylinder and a block), and they just weren't looking right. Turns out, my saucer was way too thin. At the edges it's fine, but once it starts to curve up it was very flat. I've since fixed that and started blocking the nacelles...she's starting to look more like the ship we all know and love :)

ship_wip21.jpg
    100894.jpg
    One final update before bed. Got some more good detailing and corrective work done on the warp field regulator as well as the connecting struts. Up to around 3 million total polygons now for the whole ship. What do you all think?

ship_wip22.jpg
    100904.jpg
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,416Member
    I love the details on your mesh. ;)
    ItA’s great.
    trekki