Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Destroyer Avenger (Greeble-for-Greeble) YES IT'S BACK

JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all,

My computer situation has recently improved dramatically, thanks to the generosity of one of our fellow SFMers (I won't identify him by name unless he wants me to) who sent me a PC that he's no longer using. Given the new hardware at my disposal, I am returning to the Star Destroyer project that I started waaaaaaaay back in the Fall of 2006. For the record: No, I haven't been working on one CG model for six years. I spent the last several years doing music, letting the CG stuff fall to the side. But now I'm back.

For those who didn't come across this project during its earlier heydey, the plan here is to duplicate, piece for piece, the eight foot model used in The Empire Strikes Back. Why go greeble-for-greeble? Well, Fractalsponge has already done a superb job of interpreting the ISD using his own detail pieces. It's among the best CG models I have ever seen, pro or amateur. I really didn't want to subject my work to comparisons with Fractalsponge's, or try to duplicate his efforts. That's right, I'd rather be compared to ILM than to Fractalsponge.

I don't have all of the old renders at my fingertips, so I'm going to post just a select few:

th_waj-isd93.jpg th_waj-isd92.jpg th_waj-isd91.jpg th_waj-isd-armor19.jpg th_waj-isd-armor29.jpg th_waj-isd-towergreebs11-1.jpg th_waj-isd-towergreebs23-1.jpg th_WAJ-ISD-TOWERGREEBS29-1.jpg th_waj-isd-armor29-1.jpg th_WAJ-ISD-ARMOR30.jpg th_waj-isd-engines21.jpg th_waj-isd-engines22.jpg th_waj-isd-engines23-1.jpg th_WAJ-ISD-TOWERGREEBS33.jpg th_waj-isd-towergreebs16-1.jpg

These were rendered at different stages of development, and don't reflect the most current state of the beast. It'll be at least a few days before I can start getting together renders of the current status.

Incidentally, I blame ChrisGFX for prompting me to return to this. He's planning on an ISD of his own, and I've seen how good his work is, and how fast. Can't let him beat me to the punch! ;)
97225.jpg
Post edited by Jedilaw on
Tagged:

• Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Damn. You just can't get more accurate than screen-accurate....

Good to see you around these parts again, Jedilaw.
  • vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work so far :D

I planned myself to do a complete digital reconstruction of the studio model used in ESB. I have ton of reference photos full with details and I am willing to share them with you if you need it ;)

I have just a few suggestions -something that I was thinking to do myself :p

-Instead of making geometry cuttings (of line details in the hull), I was thinking to do it only as bump map, simply because there is no need for that kind of details as mesh model (and wanted to introduce a slight regular bump surface map -so that hull wouldn't look like some mathematical perfect surface -it needs to have some imperfections, or our eye will immediately dismiss it as a fake).

-And other thing I wanted to make, is that all the details and corners have slight rounded (or cut -if too small) edged. Because studio model was made from model kit (plastic) parts, they had all a bit rounded (imperfect) edges ;)

Cheers
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    fantastic detailing - amazing attension to detail - how people can take on a ship of this size at that level of detail i have no idea - boogles the mind - but cant wait to see it finished as it looks gorgeous
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, guys!

With regard to the panel lines, on the studio model some are scribed, and some are drawn with pencil. I may rework my approach, do some with texture to match the original more closely. I see what you mean about rounding the edges of the detail pieces, that's my plan for the last stage of polishing.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's good news on the computer. It's nice to see that you're back in the game. I rememeber this from 6 years ago and it's great that you're getting back to work on it. :D
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    yeah!!! He is back! can't wait to see more progress :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great, can't wait to see some further progress on this puppy.

:)
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Do the edge rounding now, or you will regret it.

Great to see this back in action :)
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    nice to see you are finally able to get back to this one!

i agree, with the literal thousands of parts and scribes, if you put it off to do all at once, you will probably spend a month going from part to part just rounding edges and hunting for ones you missed!
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Looks great! What 3D program are you using? If you are using MAX with Mental Ray you "could" use an A&D material and enable the edge chamfering via the material. It would save you a lot of time, and looks no different then chamfering with poly's. It even handles intersections and cross materials excellent. You would have to test render times though using both methods.

Looking forward to more updates on this!

JMoney
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    darn! you guys that build the stardestoyers... sheesh! INSANE! my computer would Melt.. he he

Good luck with it!
    JMoney wrote: »
    Looks great! What 3D program are you using? If you are using MAX with Mental Ray you "could" use an A&D material and enable the edge chamfering via the material. It would save you a lot of time, and looks no different then chamfering with poly's. It even handles intersections and cross materials excellent. You would have to test render times though using both methods.

Looking forward to more updates on this!

JMoney

Yes, I'm considering that, though to be honest Mental Ray is a royal pain in my ass compared to the scanline renderer. Picky as hell, with tons of arcane options.

Let's say there are more than a handful of things I'm regretting enough to go back and redo. Like the fact that I got the angles of the fronts and backs of the terraces completely wrong. They're ninety degrees relative to the horizontal midline, they should be ninety degrees relative to the tops of the terraces (e.g. they should be ninety-degree parallelograms that are angled to match the slope of the hull).

I'm still fighting with Max to get the entire model merged into a new file, so this is as much necromancy as new art...
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Try Vray - very easy to use. Mental Ray is crap.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Glad she is getting some attention again. Was sad when this fell off the grid.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    They're ninety degrees relative to the horizontal midline, they should be ninety degrees relative to the tops of the terraces (e.g. they should be ninety-degree parallelograms that are angled to match the slope of the hull).

Yeah, you'll want to get that nipped now :)

Mentral ray ain't bad - from my limited experience it's actually quite fast. Most of the default settings give decent results. It would, however, be criminal for this model not to be properly lit with GI. Pick a renderer to do it, but definitely do it!
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    That's right, I'd rather be compared to ILM than to Fractalsponge.
    That's the quote of the day, right there.

Looking forward to more of this.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    AWESOME!!!! I'm so glad to see you working on this again! It's already a thing of beauty, I can't wait to see more! Although, I don't know who has the harder task ahead, you having to build all the individual parts or MonsieurTox over at the replica prop forum who's actually hunting down the same parts used to build his 8 foot model. May the Force be with you both in your sacred task lol....
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Very cool, one of my favorites! I'm working on the ANH version now, which is a little less daunting. :) As luck would have it, I'll be around the 8 footer tomorrow - is there anything that you want pictures of?

Again, love it!
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    All of it!
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    stonky wrote: »
    As luck would have it, I'll be around the 8 footer tomorrow - is there anything that you want pictures of?
    How about a couple hundred close up shots? Or a laser scan of the whole thing?

How does one just happen to be around the original 8-foot model?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Laser scan please!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    The model is in an exhibition in Montreal (until mid-September) and I happened to be there over the weekend - sadly, I couldn't make it to the exhibition afterall. :(
    stonky wrote: »
    The model is in an exhibition in Montreal (until mid-September) and I happened to be there over the weekend - sadly, I couldn't make it to the exhibition afterall. :(

To quote Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    To quote Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    I don't recall Vader ever saying that.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    heh, good one
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Tallguy wrote: »
    I don't recall Vader ever saying that.

Don't worry, you're not alone, I just about managed to erase that scene from my memory too.

:p
  • AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    I'm still fighting with Max to get the entire model merged into a new file, so this is as much necromancy as new art...

Do you use Xrefs? It eliminates the need to merge everything into one file if things become unmanageable otherwise.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    vray or mental ray proxies would work fine :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    OH YAY! I've missed this project!