Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationStar Trek vs BSG

EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
edited July 2012 in Finished Work #1
Hello, I've already have a thread about it, but I decided to create another one. I finally finished my hobby-work. It took over 2 years to complete it.
95707.jpg
Post edited by Enterprais on

• BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    I loved it! Your cinematography and animation skils are awesome! I went into this expecting a poorly-rendered curb-stomp by the Federation, but you gave me an incredible grudge-match.

The particle-effects work was stiller! I loved how drawn-out the ship deaths were.

I really liked the shot at 15:21 for some reason. It really felt like a space battle some documentary pilot just happened to witness. (In a good way)

And the shot of the Big E at 15:36 was just pure awesome. The music pounding, cannons blazing, then Enterprise flys into frame... EPIC!

Also, +1 for use of Mass Effect music.
  • japmejapme12 Posts: 0Member
    AWESOME WORK... PERIOD... DOT... THE END!!!
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    <in slightly awestruck voice>

Well.

Damn!
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Excellent job! Very well done! Love the effects, camera work, music, etc..

My only little crits are these:
    1) It's not in HD. That would have added a lot of rendertime, and it took 2 years as it is.
    2) Some better quality models (for some of them), but that is not entirely in your control
    3) The fire looks cool in some shots, but I would've ditched the fire in space.
    4) The camera work was awesome, but sometimes just a little too much flipping and spinning for me (I get motion sick very easy). I would've toned it done just a touch.
    5) Could have been cut a little shorter

I would say those are minor crits, and not meant to take away from a fantastic job. I was not expecting much going in, but I was blown away. Well done indeed!

JMoney
  • EnterpraisEnterprais197 Posts: 124Member
    Wow, much thanks, guys!! I didn't expect anyone will like it.. Thanks again!

Yes, about HD .. two and a half years ago we didn't have any this HD here in Russia :D So I decided to make strange 1056x594 resolution.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    very good. very very good.
    you progressed much during this. we can tell early and late shots. :)
    your shots (90% of them) work great. camera moves are good, but sometimes you got too happy with the spining and all. (do i smell craft director tools ? if not, try them, you'll love them)
    editing is still a bit of an issue. some are a bit long and should have been trimmed a little, and some others put somewhere else. you insist too much on the things you want to show. you duplicate shots and continue over and over. once we get it, its enough. the eye get bored. (i know, it took a great deal of time to animate it and render it, so you want to show it.)
    musics well chosen. i love that warp field.
    compositing is real good. some depth of field would have added.

conceptwise, i'd have loved to see a federation ship blow up.
    and maybe a cylon hacking a fed ship, making it shoot his friends.
    the phasers and lasers and all lack power. i dont feel its a billion terrajoule phaser beam, nor that your are sending antimatter warheads. and i dont feel either ships dont blowup directly because they have such a thick armor.
    shorter would have been better. you cant have 20 minutes of ininterrupted firefight. (neo vs smith in matrix 2 was too much)
    or you could have shown the ragtag fleet trying to escape, then cut it back to the fight. would have worked a couple of time.
    also i didnt understood why the fleet couldnt escape. you showed the fed ships doing something with the blue beam, something went off, then everybody free. the energy jail should have been introduced in the begining.

real good.

:thumb: hat off :thumb:
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    The only gripe I have is that the Enterprise's phasers would be far more powerful than colonial lasers and would not take that long to destroy a cylon raiders. It would be instant.

I'm confused why you let a colonial viper destroy a cylon raider with one hit instantly, yet the Enterprise with far more powerful phasers has to hold the shot for 5 seconds.

Tell you what I absolutely loved about this video though, was the hustle and bustle of ship movements around earth. Fantastic.
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    The only gripe I have is that the Enterprise's phasers would be far more powerful than colonial lasers and would not take that long to destroy a cylon raider. It would be instant.

Too true. It should have been three super short shots.

Ok....first things first. Incredible animation. If the script were better I could watch it until my eyes bled. I would love to see more. Now a few gripes.

1) You have both the Enterprise D and Enterprise E. Ummm no. The D should have been scrap.
    2) The Defiant looked much larger than it should be. Probably to show off the niceness of the model. I would LOVE to see the Defiant in it's element. The whole idea behind the Defiant was there wouldn't be one, there would be squadrons of them closing with the enemy. In the old series, you had three raiders. Would be incredible to have three Defiant class ships tear up a star base in that formation.

The rest are nitpicks. It's really too bad there isn't a real crossover. Have then get close to Earth ( maybe through a one way wormhole) and have them run smack dab into the UFP.

But again, great work.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    I loved the warp jump at the beginning, it really captured the feeling of going faster and faster and faster.

Also, the shot at around 02:40 where we go from being an outside observer of a dogfight, to a PoV shot from the viper. That could've looked awful or confusing, but it's very deftly done.

Using the Requiem for a Dream music is one of my fan video pet hates, as it's so overused now, but I guess you only played it for a short time... The rest of the music's well chosen, though. You made the right decision not using any Trek or BSG music because it wouldn't have worked together very well.

I love the spinning camera work as individual shots, because it's so much better than boring shots that look like they've been composed with the assistance of a spirit level, but in the animation it can at times be a bit distracting or confusing.

Galactica breaking up and exploding was really nicely done. I liked how you had the engines still flickering when the was already broken in two, like an insect that's still moving its feet after the head's been cut off.

I really liked that there was a proper story and some civilians being saved at the end (oh, sorry, spoilers... don't read the previous sentence), rather than just having two sides fighting it out without any explanation, as a lot of crossover videos do. The final shots were really pretty and hopefully without sounding pretentious, there was an emotional payoff.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I seem to have something in my eye.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! There are several 'crossing the line' editing problems in there... but I do have to say the Galaxy class ship going to warp at the very beginning is one of the most interesting and unique takes on it I've seen in a long time, I feel you should be proud.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Everyone else already said what I was thinking, but I just HAD to add one more thing.

I absolutely love your warp effects. I honestly think they are the best I've ever seen.
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    I have to agree with that. Nicely done.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I absolutely frakking LOVE this vid!!! Number one, thank you so much for making this, and number two, your hard work definitely paid off! I love your choreography/directing, and I just love the sheer FUN of this! Absolutely awesome... great work!
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    what more to say...? you see it with all this overwhelming responses, that you did a masterpiece. thnx a lot to posting it here for all of us. it was a pleasure to watch it.
  • RedeyesRedeyes334 Posts: 21Member
    Just great the whole thing, camera work is awesome!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Oha...
    Pro:
    -Seems to use the weird camera movements from Nu'BSG and the styles of the TOS-BSG (which I find better than Nu'BSG, despite it being a great show as well).
    -The new warp-effect is somewhat... unusual, but nice.
    -I like the hyperdrive animation of the Cylons.
    -Considering the Cylons have no shields, their ships were very sturdy, shows that shields aren't always needed. Very sweet.
    -Love the idea of the tractor-sync to help them. Same goes for this amazing warp-scene.
    -The welcoming scene at the end is amazing!

Con:
    -I must say, the humans are pretty aweful at shooting, aren't they.... :P I mean we see a Viper hunt one damn Raider for over a minute until blowing it up, and then another raider kills the Viper within barely more than 10 seconds. By thar rate, BSG wouldn't have lasted 2 episodes of fighting....
    -The Quadrants flying patterns are lousy and the pulse phasers are way too small (and too blue!), it's literally doing wild-shots with the torpedos. And if it really is a Defiant-class (if not, then don't mind this point), since when does the ship have so many regular phasers?
    -Why blue phasers on the Quadrant and the Magellan
    -Considering that the first BaseStar already had some damage, it still lasted longer than the still-intact second one.
    -Federaton got away far too easily.
    -The weapons are far too weak. C'mon, we once saw the Ent-D melt a palents crust with a 10 minute shot, so a three second shot could easily have burned through have the Basestar, let alone a flimsy little raider. And the Quantum Torpedoes are specifically designed to fight the Borg, three can cripple a Borg Sphere. Same goes for the Defiants Pulse Phaser. They should wreak havoc on a BaeStar.
    -Ent-D was destroyed before the Ent-E was build, so there's some continuity error.
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Great video, completely agree with the warp of the Enterprise D. By far the most interesting and amazing warp scene I have seen. Also really liked the main titles! I do think you could perhaps edit out a few scenes here and there just to tighten it up but all in all the pace and editing was very good. I really enjoyed it from start to finish; you should be very, very pleased with yourself.
    I do have a gripe with everyone who's nitpicking on this thread about things to do with personal preference, artistic licence and continuity. We are talking about fictional ships from fictional universes from 2 completely different TV shows. Who cares if there are two Enterprises affecting continuity when you have the Galactica in the same universe? Why bother mentioning that the StarfleetA’s weapons are far more powerful than the Cylons? If Enterprais followed that thinking then the animation would be over in 5 minutes. If your going to take the time to critique a piece of work then make it constructive and about the work itself. The camera work, lighting, effects, movement, pacing, editing etc. ItA’s obviously been a labour of love and 2 years in the making, silly crits and comments can come across hurtful and petty.

Again excellent work.
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Yes, how dare we voice opinion on a discussion forum. Bad, bad us.

Seriously, get off your soap box. We’re voicing opinion, something the OP obviously wanted to illicit seeing as he posted his work on a discussion forum.

As for artistic license: It does not apply in this precise context. It does not excuse ignoring established guidelines. The artistic licence here is pitching ST against BSG.

The problem with the federation weapons is not artistic licence, it is, I’m afraid to say, either oversight or poor understanding of technology curves.
    Why bother using ships from different universes and pitch them against each other when you’re not going to keep true to the established technology curve?

Your baseless attack against mine and others’ opinion has forced me to quantify by gripes.

Here goes:

The apparent lack of strength in the human weaponry (Both BSG and ST) really distracted me and prevented me from being able to suspend my disbelief and accept what I was seeing on screen.

Suspension of disbelief, the act of making you believe in what you are witnessing is a key factor in any film, tv show (and to some extent theatre also).
    It’s what makes you accept that Kirk and co are on a starship in space, that a quantum torpedo is really going to ruin it's target's day, that the Borg are deadly, the Q omnipotent, Cylons cold and deadly… need I go on?

Unfortunately, this video fails to meet that criterion and as such fails to entertain as much as it could have.

The super accurate Cylons, the bumbling viper pilots, the ultra weak phasers. It all adds up.

Being an artist myself I know damn well the passion and the hard work that have gone into this video, and it was a mutual respect for that which stopped me from saying anything more than the phaser strength didn’t quite seem right. But when facing criticism for voicing an opinion, I felt no other choice than to say it as I saw it.

And for the record, I can think of many, many ways a BSG V ST match up could give the ST ships a bloody nose. Superiority through numbers is just one example.

Enterprais, do not be disheartened with my comments or those of others. We do truly appreciate the time and effort that goes into fan fiction, be it a drawing, a 3d render or a video like yours.

Take negative comments on the chin and enjoy the positive comments and remember this: Without critique, how can we better ourselves?
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Not trying to hijack this thread or start a flaming war and am certainly not trying to offended anyone but I probably have so for that I apologise.

If the OP has posted their work on a discussion forum for some constructive criticism then actually offer him some. A sentence along the lines off ‘I don’t like…’ doesn’t help, explain why and offer a solution for the OP to take away and apply to there next work.

When somebody has dedicated 2 years of their life to creating what is an excellent, fun animation, for someone to turn around and say 'that ship shouldn't be in there' is not going to help any one and detracts from the excellent work the Enterprais has accomplished. If this was a WIP thread then by all means express that opinion were the creator of the work can actually be in a position to take it on board and amend the animation if he wishes.

Again my apologies to Enterprais and anyone offended by my comments.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    To those who are pointing out the inconsistencies in the video, I would also point out that in the YouTube description, the OP does specifically say not to try to make sense of any of this. I knew that going in, and knew that what I was about to watch was there for pure and simple fun only, and I fully enjoyed it on that level.

It's always up in the air just how powerful one universe's energy weapons, FTL drives are compared to another... in Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning, we saw Star Trek vs. Babylon 5. Here we saw TOS BSG vs. Star Trek. It's a good thing the OP went with TOS BSG, because putting up the nuBSG physical/kinetic weaponry against Star Trek's energy weaponry would have really seemed unbelievable.

I'd like to add that one thing I really loved was the effect of the flying embers of fire... that was not only cool visually, but was really refreshing, because I don't recall ever seeing anyone do that effect on any TV show or film, so I thought it was really original.
  • CrazyGeorgeCrazyGeorge0 Posts: 0Member
    Just a wonderful piece of work.
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    As for critiquing the video why? it was just fun to watch. I wanna see the next one :)

Awesomeness man pure awesomeness.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Thanks for wathing :)

Superb work. All of the criticism is fair, as long as it's well meant. There's a lot of little nits that I could give, like many of the explosions, beams and bloom were a bit overblown. The fire crackles looked odd as, in nature, that happens because of air currents moving them around with Brownian motion... it's space :)

In terms of direction, the piece was maybe a bit overlong (though I did enjoy the ride hehe), though the camera work was excellent, especially as the others have mentioned, your unique warp jump at the start.

As for the mash-up aspects of this, I take it for what it is. As others have said, the story element actually works. The battle-star fighting the enterprise would have been nonsense, so I liked what you did there (many such mash-ups are often stupid).

Excellent work, and I look forward to seeing new work by you.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I loved it! That was the best animation I've seen. You should post it over at foundation3d, they'd love it. If I was going to change a couple of things would be the starfleet phasers are more powerful than Cylons lasers. Also, I loved how Galactica blew up but wished it had made it to Earth. I would have preferred the new Galactica over the old one but that's just me. Super job! Keep making more.
    Wow, so much comments, I didn't expect so big response. First, of cource, I want to thank you everyone for constructive criticism, I agree with the most of the points, for good words.

Lonewriter, that's strange, here I started the new topic for the finished version of STvsBSG, but on foundation3d I found my old post, where I had written about trailer for the video and posted there a link to the finished project. And there are no new answers, it looks like no one have ever looked in that thread. What did I do wrong?:)

At last, sorry for my bad english, may be I've already written this before, that's not my native language.
  • Drake744Drake7440 Posts: 0Member
    Aloha

I normaly don't post on forums but this demanded I say something, I was expecting the movie to be a hish-hash of
    poorly rendered polygons but... wow... the guy who made it said not to make sense of it.... and it was amazing to
    watch. I truly enjoyed it.

Shep
  • Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
    This is almost exactly what I been trying to do since getting into 3d and vidz.

A huge space battle. You sure did stir a pot with all the comments.
    I dont crtique really, am not qualified ( am only 1.8 yrs old in 3D land) @ 46 yrs in Human age lol

Though there is a lot I can say about it, It is a really good job of EFX and Flares n such.
    Things I have yet to learn how to do, since most of what I have made I came up with myself by tinkering( IE SpFX)

Wished I Knew more of how you did some, or a lot of the shots. :D

So, am joining the CHORUS of Kudos mister. That was interesting to watch for me. Gives me
    Something to shoot for, and some reference.

My hats off to ya.

Also posted on Youtube. Was wondering what App and/or third party plugins used.
    IDK know anything bout post effects, so it would help me understand lil more.
    Also the tuts you mentioned. Would like to find them and check them out.
    Got no idea where to look.

Regards,

Randal R
    -aka-
    Thunderstruck
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Enterprais wrote: »
    Wow, so much comments, I didn't expect so big response. First, of cource, I want to thank you everyone for constructive criticism, I agree with the most of the points, for good words.

Lonewriter, that's strange, here I started the new topic for the finished version of STvsBSG, but on foundation3d I found my old post, where I had written about trailer for the video and posted there a link to the finished project. And there are no new answers, it looks like no one have ever looked in that thread. What did I do wrong?:)

At last, sorry for my bad english, may be I've already written this before, that's not my native language.

I never saw it over there but I'll look for it and point it out to people. Keep up the good work. If you ever do it again, I might lend you my Nova class mesh.
    Queenhunter, thanks! Apps - 3dsmax for animation, "adobe after effects" for adding effects and adobe premiere for final montage. Plugins - Ky_Trail for blasters and engines, AfterBurn for explosions, Ky_Milky Way for stars.. I believe that's all for 3dsmax. In after effects - OpticalFlares, Trapcode Shine, Starglow, Form, Horizon, then ReelSmartMotionBlur - RSMB.

About tutorials - phasers tut is from here. About shields.. actually Nutsy didn't make any, he just pointed me in the right direction. Anyway, I did some "explanation" file in 3dsmax - here it is. The main idea - we have particle system, when one particle hits some surface(sphere), it generates another particle, which has the shape of this sphere, but limited in 3 dimensions - sphere's chunk, which has some animated texture we did before.

By the way, is it ok I use russian file sharing system for files?

And another thing - I forgot to mention in the video another man, who helped me a lot with wormhole effect - Toa_Kaita. His tutorial. Brave bionicle! I'm sorry!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    That's how BSG should have ended--the Feds rescuing the rag tag fleet.