Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSomething familiar?

• Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Wow people are still pretty upset about JJ Abrams Enterprise when it's... more or les the same as the original... ?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Seriously? Have you seen the state of those fat and ugly warp nacelles? Or the hideous lines of the secondary hull? The only thing that ship got right was the primary hull, and that was only because it was almost exactly the same as the TMP version. I'm all for a new design for the JJ verse version of Trek, I just think that despite the film being really good the Enterprise redesign they went with was horrible. All just a question of taste I guess.
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    It's not the same as the original, but please, let's not turn this into a witch hunt for people who like Ryan Church's design (ahem, like myself). Disliking a design is one thing, but all too often I've seen this particular topic boil over into disliking people who like a design.

I'm also interested in seeing how the semi-azteccing will go on this one. Given that mr. Richter (he's too awesome for me to address him by his first name, heh) mentioned he'd be doing something that's there but subtly so, this should be intriguing.
    I have nothing against anyone who likes the design, each to their own, it is just not my cup of tea.

Anyhow back to the subject of this thread before I derail it any further, yeah, I'm also intrigued by what he'll do with the aztec effect, though I'm quite liking the clean finish the model has now, should be interesting to see.
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    Is interesting to see how this nacele can be seen as a pre-TNG version. The frontal bussards, and other details has the right place, and does to look an earlier version of that technollogy.

About the modelling, you know that youA’re the best Tobias. ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804578 Posts: 11,179Member
    On the model. JJ are you seeing this?

If only...

I'm in the middle of watching that movie again and, three years later, I still hate the "Enterprise." However, I absolutely love Tobias' Phase II model and I think it would look fantastic in its place. It would also have looked fantastic in TMP. As much as I love the "refit," I would like to have seen this done in its place in the 1979 movie, it was what Matt had in mind for the scrapped TV series (logical updates, not a complete redesign.)
    Wow people are still pretty upset about JJ Abrams Enterprise when it's... more or les the same as the original... ?

Different strokes for different folks, my friend. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and some of us just don't see it that way. ;)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1920 CaliforniaPosts: 2,077Member
    Here's the bottom line. If a lot of toys and models of the JJ Enterprise are /were sold, it will be back. If not, Asta la vista baby...
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    I would like to have seen this done in its place in the 1979 movie, it was what Matt had in mind for the scrapped TV series (logical updates, not a complete redesign.)

Perhaps if and when Tobias gets some free time, he could perhaps remake the departure from TMP using the Phase II Enterprise, even though I prefer the official Connie refit... it'd be interesting to see that...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Finished texturing and lighting this weekend - so here are the result. You will see the ship in motion in one of the next Phase II installments, but since there are still a few episodes before the ship will appear, I do not expect it to be in the near future :)

Chris - IA’m not that much into exact recreations of scenes, I like to give it my own spin. There is however a good chance that we might see her in some drydock.
    95349.jpg95350.jpg95351.jpg95352.jpg95353.jpg
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, fantastic. The one thing I was concerned about this was that the nacelle caps might turn out blue, as I remember them being on a previous Phase II model. I'm not sure whether I dislike that idea on aesthetic grounds, or just because I'm so used to them being orange, but I'm glad you didn't go down that route.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Superb. :)
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Well that's just made entirely out of win. Looks amazing, and the choice of the TOS-style markings and colouration's worked really well. I think the benefit this one has over the original idea that got posted a couple of years ago is that this one ha the feel of the original, it feels more like the TV series version than the refit version despite the design initially looking, due to the nacelles and torpedo launcher, more akin to the refit.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804578 Posts: 11,179Member
    It looks awesome, dude. :)
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory915 BrooklynPosts: 324Member
    Love the details, especially the pattern on the deflector dish. The external lighting is great too. Thanks for posting :)
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Great looking work here, loving the colourful interiors showing through the windows, gives it a very unique feel over the windows just being lights or a very pale blue subtle interior detail, makes it look very vibrant. Also liking the very subtle panel detailing you've got going on with the hull, and the depth of the level of detailing in general. My only minor crit is that with the docking port on the side of the secondary hull, due to the placing of windows nearby looks like it is between decks rather than aligned with any single deck. Was that intentional? Either way, this is phenomenal looking work, nice job.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Amazing! Love the way the hull texture looks, a mix between the TOS and TMP ships.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1920 CaliforniaPosts: 2,077Member
    Absolutely beautiful. Orthos, orthos, orthos...:)
    Thanks - orthos may follow at a later date. Placement of the airlock was given by the predecessor of this model. An airlock needs more space anyways, so I guess placing it in the middle between two decks is the most efficient solution.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Hey Tobias,
    i don't expect anything else but brilliant work from you, but this leaves it all behind!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    can we have a render of JUST the interior room you used? looks interesting!

Looks great sir! I might not like the design, but you modeling is epic as always!
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Looks great!

The only thing that's somewhat distracting is the flat look of the impulse engines (feels like just a radial gradient on a polygon rather than the impression of something complex and extremely hot.)
  • BlackBirdCDBlackBirdCD171 Posts: 0Member
    This is a great exploration, I've enjoyed the speculative "in-between" Enterprises. And to see the "almost built" one is great.

I'd be curious to see how it looks in cooler (more blue-green) grays on the hull.
  • scifiericscifieric1123 Posts: 1,498Member
    This is VERY pretty!
    ItA’s done!

Something IA’ve been working on this year... the Phase II Enterprise with revised nacelles (like the concept for the scrapped Phase II series), the astrodock (McQuarrie Design) and Arex...

The new Phase 2 vignette also pays tribute to the loss of some fellow fans, so the first half is also a special nod "for the crew"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JzExIBdSgY
    Absolutely stunning work. The new Enterprise looks great in action, and I love the space dock burrowed into that asteroid, really outstanding work across the board. Well done.

:thumb:
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    Very awesome! Luv it!
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful reveal. Ridiculously good quality, as usual.
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great Tobias! It retains enough of TOS while adding enough of TMP that it looks like an honest partial refit! I love the self-lighting, and the exposed torpedo tubes look great. I do wonder how in-universe they explain the lack of bussard collectors on the TMP-era ships...
    Well aren't those black grill like areas at the front of TMP era ships' nacelles supposed to be their version of the bussard collector?
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Well aren't those black grill like areas at the front of TMP era ships' nacelles supposed to be their version of the bussard collector?
    They went back to glowing red caps for the Enterprise-C, maybe it was another experiment of that era? Very interesting to see glowing caps on a TMP-style nacelle though.