Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSnowspeeder

2»

• RekkertRekkert4126 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,314Member
    That terrain looks awesome!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks all, much appreciated! Yeah, I've always liked the snowspeeder too, and thought the flaps were cool. :) I'd like to work a little more on them, and like I said, incorporate the side-to-side steering as well, where both the left or right flaps would deploy (top and bottom) for a left or right turn. I want to be careful to balance it so that they aren't open and closing constantly. Of course I could just animate them, but where's the fun in that? :) I find that they're opening a little too slowly for my tastes as they stand now, I'll work on that as well. I don't know if you can tell, but they're bouncing around a bit - I wanted to give the impression of wind resistance and to reinforce the rickety nature of the craft. You can see it more on the bottom flaps in the trailing view. I'm rendering the opposite view now (camera in front of the craft, looking back at it as it flies forwards) and you can see a little more of it there, I'll post it when it's done, hopefully later on today. When the harpoon gun and other loose details are added I'd like to bounce them around a bit as well. I had the pilots moving but I wasn't happy with it so I took it out - I'll work on them too.

For the terrain I used World Machine - good for terrain if you don't need foliage and all of the other bells and whistles that come with something like Vue. World Machine is good for generating a height map and the texture passes, if that's all you need (ie. Hoth :) ). There's actually a lot more finer surface detail than what you can see in the Youtube video, too bad that it got squashed.

Thanks again, more to come! I'll post the front view when it's done.
    See attached, opposite angle. The QT compression really sucked the detail out of the snow, but you get the idea. :)
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Job Stonks ! :thumb: ...

Jas
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking awesome. I love the head on angle with the terrain whipping by underneath. :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work mate!
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    both thumbs up! great work on this!
    Thank you, you're all too kind! :) More to come.