Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSnowspeeder

stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
This will join the AT-AT in it's tour of duty at some point. It's very early, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I quickly applied some flat color for context:

More to come.
103273.jpg
Post edited by stonky on
Tagged:

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks like a good start :)

Can't wait to see him playing with the AT AT ...
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Yep a solid start :) amazing how stubby they appear without the laser turrets.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thanks all!

Hopefully a little less stubby looking now:

attachment.php?attachmentid=95617&stc=1&d=1331016322

:)
    94112.jpg
    The AT-AT doesn't stand a chance! :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good.

Should check this out Stonky:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78604-First-Strike-(Star-Wars-mod-for-BF2142)-Battle-of-Hoth-WIP

If you ever fancy doing a bit of Star Wars modeling for in game use you should get in touch, First Strike is always on the look out for good artists with a love of all things Star Wars. Loved your Walker.

:thumb:
    he has teeth now, eh?

Great work!
    Hi all,

I've been making some tweaks to the snowspeeder while I've been working on the Star Destroyer, etc., and by tweaks, I mean I rebuilt 90% of it from scratch. :) There were a bunch of proportion issues bothering me on the original build but I think that it's moving ahead from a better place now (still lots to do obviously):

redo_1.jpg
    redo_2.jpg
    redo_3.jpg

More to come shortly.
    103247.jpg103248.jpg103249.jpg
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    sweet!

dont tell me you're gonna use it to knock down that AT???? :)
    Get you with your DOF,... ;) nice work mate. Something about this particular fighter that takes me right back to sitting in the cinema as a kid watching Empire for the first time.
    great progress ... I like it :)
    Nice, looking great so far.
    Thanks all!
    anystar wrote: »
    dont tell me you're gonna use it to knock down that AT???? :)

How could I not? :)

A few more details, and I've roughed in a couple of pilots for the time being (not 100% sold on their position and scale):

redo_4.jpg

redo_5.jpg

Even though it's a relatively small and nimble craft, there's a beefiness and an industrial functionality to the details that has always appealed to me. More to come.
    103273.jpg103274.jpg
    The ship designs in Star Wars were always solid, had that real world look about them, which after all these years still holds together... :) loving the progress matey! :)
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    What Program is this?
    Saquist wrote: »
    What Program is this?

he uses Houdini as far as I know :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,179Member
    How did I miss this before? I love the airspeeders (snowspeeders) and you're doing your usual fantastic job of modeling. She's really looking great so far. :D
    Looking sweet. The pilot scale looks a little big to me, but you never know, the Snowspeeder is smaller than you think.
    Thanks all!

Yes, like ChrisGFX said, I spend a lot of my time in houdini, but I do use other things like maya, 123D catch, UV Layout, sketchup, ZBrush, etc. as well depending on what it is that I'm doing. But yeah, the snowspeeder is mostly houdini at the moment (including the renders).
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Looking sweet. The pilot scale looks a little big to me, but you never know, the Snowspeeder is smaller than you think.

I think you're right, they are a bit big, good catch. I'll adjust. There's a good scale analysis here that I'm inclined to buy into:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Discussing-about-scales-in-star-wars/topic/10969/page/3/

...putting the overall length at 5.3 metres (about 17 feet 3 inches), which is handy for figure size and when working out it's relationship to the AT-AT (whose scale is a whole other kettle of fish obviously).

One of the things that I've always liked about this particular craft are the control surfaces/flaps. I'm looking forward to getting into animation and exploring those, not just in terms of steering, but also in adding subtle vibrations to give it some life and to sell the wind resistance and the rickety nature of the rebellion equipment.

More to come!
    I always liked the control flaps too. They're so simple and yet so cool. :D
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool! Will be nice to see it animated :)

BTW, one of the renders made it look like an actual plastic model with the depth of field, but now even the pilots look like hand-painted! o_O Nice touch :thumb:
    I always liked the control flaps too. They're so simple and yet so cool. :D

Yeah, I remember getting the model kit of this way back when, and being so overjoyed that it included the working control surfaces unlike the Star Wars figure toy of that time. It is definitely a cool feature, especially when seen in action in the movies.
    I had that kit, but I don't think I ever completed it.
    Heh, I have an Imperial Star Destroyer special with gizmos for internal lighting and a little drill to drill all the holes for the fiber optics. (God only knows how many years old that thing is now) However one day I'll find the time to get round to building that thing, I swear.

:p
    I gave up on all of my old model kits, I have some newer Polar Lights kits that aren't being built. :lol:
    Thanks all!

Here's a quick scale animation test (attached QuickTime movie) using the measurements for the Snowspeeder and the AT-AT that were discussed on the originaltrilogy.com forum linked above. I think that it works okay, a good point of reference might be when the first speeder flies though the legs of the first AT-AT. I haven't animated the flaps or done anything else fancy, I just quickly flew what I had so far around an old AT-AT walk cycle that I had lying around, so forgive the crappy animation, camera work, etc. :)

I had the old plastic ERTL/mpc Snowspeeder kit too! The vehcile itself was pretty good I thought, but the pilots were terrible! :)
    That animation is great. I see nothing wrong with the walker's walk cycle. I love the flaps deploying on the speeders and the scale looks really good. :thumb:
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Heh, I have an Imperial Star Destroyer special with gizmos for internal lighting and a little drill to drill all the holes for the fiber optics. (God only knows how many years old that thing is now) However one day I'll find the time to get round to building that thing, I swear.

:p

haha, i remember having this kit, the tiny 2 AA battery drill they gave you in the kit to do the drilling, with the bit that wasnt sharp enough and also slipped loose on the mount...

and WOW even just as a test anim, that looks great already!!!

(did anyone else actually hear the blasters and speeder engine noises in their head as they watched???) :lol:
    Hey all,

I've been fiddling around with a terrain generation/procedural flaps animation test:

[video=youtube_share;bEy_EDOieog]

It started with just the terrain, but I couldn't resist working on some flight stuff as well as the flaps.

Like the video description says, the flaps are driven by the vehicle's pitch - I'll work on layering in the left and right steering into the flaps as well.

The snowpeeder itself hasn't changed much since the last update (still no bottom, harpoon gun, etc., etc. :) ) but it's still very much on my radar - I'm hoping to post a big update soon!
    That's sweet. Ever since I first saw Empire as a kid, this has been one of my favorite Star Wars vehicles. One of my favorite parts are those cool flaps, so it's great to see them animated. The terrain looks great too. :)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Oooh, nice. What did you do the terrain in? Something like Vue?