Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPalace of the Grand City

uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Home to a great race of warriors, the Grand City is the center of power. A vast city with five walls. In the center of the Grand City rises a palace, tall and shimmering. It is home to the leaders and governing councils.

The Palace is vast with council chambers, treasuries, living quarters, treasuries, and baths. The lower levels have offices, hospitals, and ceremonial chambers.

Warriors travel thousands of miles just to visit the Grand City once in their lives.

Come and explore the magnificence of of the Palace of the Grand City!

293eqg1.png

2mow4xz.png

Just for some background info, I used to use TrueSpace. I tried using TrueSpace 7.6 but just couldn't figure out how to use it. So I converted to Blender. This is my first real modelling attempt with Blender. I watched several tutorials to get started with Blender and i can do way more than what I was able to do with TrueSpace.

About the images the first image is rendered with Blender Render. The second is with Cycles. I'm still trying to figure out how to get good Cycles renders.
94147.png
Post edited by uniderth on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Do they have airships? Or flying mounts of some sort? Or are those platforms where the criers go to call the faithful to prayer?

Five walls? Did the city expand and build another wall, and then another outside the previous ones, or is it, "Hey! We need a wall... over here... and over there... and, what the heck, let's drop some more walls!"?
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Haha. What I meant was the wall that goes around the city forms a pentagon. Hence the five walls. I guess you could say it is just one wall. However each side has a gate thus separating each wall segment from the other.

Airships would be cool. But the platforms are designed for VTOL craft, helicopters, flying cars, etc. The wall where the platforms join will be opened to be the hangar. These platforms are specifically for the use of the High Clan Lords.

Here's an image for scale. The little green smudge is a human sized figure for scale. You can barely see it in the other images.

zjxt8h.png
  • SolCommandSolCommand172 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the design. The style reminds me a bit of some buildings from a star wars movie, can't remember which one for sure. Keep it up.
    So this is a moderately high-tech society, with VTOL craft? Cool. Keep goin'!
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    SolCommand wrote: »
    I really like the design. The style reminds me a bit of some buildings from a star wars movie, can't remember which one for sure. Keep it up.

You might be thinking of Naboo. The color palette is different but the shape language is quite similar. :p
    Work has been a bit slow. But, I've added some various structures to the tower. I tried my hand at making something resembling cloth and made a flag. It's small in this image.

116hyl2.png

I've also starting making a vehicle. All I have so far is the tire.

29uw2l1.png
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Epic architecture.
    Ok. Here's a bit more. I cut out the entry ways to the landing pads and added some more details there. I also began the first of the five High Clan Lord towers. The High Clan Lord's residence is at the top of each tower and other apartments are lower down the tower. The rings on the tower will become observation walkways. However they don't really seem to fit with the style of the main tower.

30agwso.png

15yfyj5.png
    Nice. I hope these folks are good at elevator technology. ;)
    Haha. Yeah, I'd hate to take the stairs.
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    This looks interesting... far too rare to see others making city-like constructions...
    Here's a few more updates. I replaced the walkways. I think it fits a bit better with the overall scheme. I also added the other four towers to get the look of it.

28m8mx.png

Here's a close up. You can start to see the geometry here. But once it's done I probably wont get this close again.

20qhmvr.png
    Here's a bit more progress. I'm not quite sure how I like that dome center thing. I need something like it to complete the symbolism of the building.

6j1sav.png

Also if anybody knows how to increase the darkness of the shadows in blender please tell me. I want to use a lighter sky background but as you can see in this pic there is just not enough contrast to allow a light background.

Oh, and I duplicated the tires of the vehicle.
    I've roughed out the building. This will be the general shape as I continue to add more details.

2en0xow.png
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking really cool so far. :)

I don't blame you for jumping ship from trueSpace 7.6. It's a buggy POS. Kudos on switching to Blender. I tried that a couple years ago. I was actually starting to almost get the hang of it when I had a project come up that required actual skill to complete, so I had to switch back to tS for that project and I never got back into Blender (I was learning on 2.49 and then they switched while I was working on that project, that didn't help.)
    Well I measured this building and apparently it's just over 11,100 feet tall! That's about five times taller than the Burj Dubai! So I'm going to have to resize the building.
    Ok since my scale calculations I've been rescaling and rearranging the Palace.

11hrwjt.png

You can see the shadow of the old palace. I just moved it vertically and have been using parts from it.

It seems the new palace will be more sprawling and city-like rather than tower-like. The height should now be between the Burj Dubai and Taipei 101.
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    uniderth wrote: »
    Well I measured this building and apparently it's just over 11,100 feet tall! That's about five times taller than the Burj Dubai! So I'm going to have to resize the building.
    Why? Who is to say that you cannot have it that tall? I'd build it at the original size first and see how it turns out. If it's a more advanced civilisation than we are currently who's to say they can't build that tall? Otherwise excellent work and I am looking forward to the updates. :)
    Ok. A bit more work done.

sv2h52.png

akb1979 one of my goals was to have it build-able by modern technology. Having it that tall would be awesome, just not feasible for my design goals.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking really good. I like the design a lot. :)
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    uniderth wrote: »
    akb1979 one of my goals was to have it build-able by modern technology. Having it that tall would be awesome, just not feasible for my design goals.
    Ah, I see. Fair enough then. :) *looks at clock* Come on, next update please. :D :P
  • andar_bandar_b0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting design. :)

As far as darkening the shadows in Blender, it depends on your setup. If you're using Global light, then the Ambient Occlusion can be typed in a number greater than one, just not using the slider. You could also set it to Multiply instead of Add. Otherwise, it's just a matter of your lighting rig. I actually really like the darker settings of AO, they give models a worn look that appeals to me.