Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DStar Trek Frigate WIP

FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Thought let's post a WIP I have been working on yesterday.
Its a small firgate sized starship, lightly armed but easy to work on and manufacture.
I am working on several era variations as can be seen here. The Enterprise era will have different pylons but in general the main shape and main details are there.
frigate_by_handofmanos-d4lb05f.jpg
Still loads to do but I think they work out alright so far
93043.jpg
Post edited by Flanker on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    I like it, the general design is great (reminds me of the non-canon Antares) and I love all the different details of each version.
    Does it have an established size?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804581 Posts: 11,179Member
    I like it. I like that you're doing it in different eras. :D

I did a TOS frigate in 3D several years ago that had a similar layout to it. :)
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Rekkert the size would be around 40 to 45 meters at the moment so quite small. I do tend to design small ships it seems :)
    Thanks evil genius. I will work them all out but first the TMP/TNG one. Perhaps even go further with interior shots. Already have a patch in the making for the crew to wear.
    92891.jpg
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, TMP era ship! Keep up the good work!
    It's looking great. :thumb:
    Flanker wrote: »
    the size would be around 40 to 45 meters at the moment so quite small.

I don't see how that's possible. I used your shuttle as a reference and the ship is just over 19 shuttles long. I'm not sure the exact dimensions of your shuttle, but it looks like a type-6 personnel shuttle. Type-6 shuttles are 6 meters long. 6x19 is 114. So, it's at least 114 meters long, possibly longer if that's a longer personnel shuttle.
    You are right evil genius. Made a great mistake counting wise. It is around 114 as you mentioned since it is a typ 6 ;) Even so it is still small - about half the size of a Miranda which is around 245 meters.

And thanks blackbird. I will also work on the other versions but this one will be the first to be finished.
    Yeah, but the Miranda was a medium cruiser, this is a frigate. Frigates are typically a lot smaller than cruisers. Personally, I like smaller ships. When I design ships, they tend to run on the small side also. I have a frigate that I designed and built that's only 120 meters long.

Anywho, I really like your designs, no matter the size. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Intersting design. Looking forward for more.
    An update:
    masterson_class_frigate_by_handofmanos-d4lmpxy.jpg
    Still needs additional details and colors but most views are now completed and the shape of the ship should be quite clear now.
    Do you have an image,link or render of your design Evil genius? Would be interesting to see.
    I take it that's the design patch in the upper left.

Nice work so far.
    Yup still pretty much WIP since I first want to finish the actual design.
    Actually started working on coloring it and mainly experimenting with a Aztec hull plating pattern and how it looks with shades.
    92941.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    ooh! another flanker original! looking nice sir!
    It's looking great! I like the different approach to the aztec instead of the usual.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    That shuttle looks like a very tight fit!
    Looking great. I like the colors. :)
    Jenny wrote: »
    That shuttle looks like a very tight fit!

I'm kinda hoping that's just for scale and this ship uses a smaller shuttle, like a type 15 or something.
  • BCBC0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice design.
    A type 9 'speedboat' shuttle should fit in fairly easily, and since a ship that small could probably make landings having a small shuttle compliment would not be a particular problem even if transporters could not be used somewhere (and a single type 9 can supposedly fit a half dozen people in a pinch according to what Paris said on Voyager). It is definitely much smaller than a Miranda despite being almost half the length of one since Mirandas are short and wide while your ship is long and narrow.
    Thanks Rekkert I hope it is not too different though ;)
    And good to hear you like it too Vallyrie it is quite difficult to make something new and unique for star trek. And certainly TMP. Been working on ENT era ships too long I guess :D

The shuttle is indeed too big for this ship (used it mainly for scalereference) I consider it possible it can carry a type 15 pod like Evil suggested so no need to worry Jenny. I am even thinking about making a own design. Even so it is a small ship and is atmospheric capable. Even so it is highly likely that a pod is needed in some situations.

And it is indeed a small ship BC (longer and thinner then a Mirande) I think size wize it could be considered a police frigate or perhaps a corvette sized ship.
    92979.jpg
    Oh, I hadn't noticed the UFP madella on it, before. Nice touch! And I like the smaller shuttle there, nice!
    Thanks Jenny. I am thinking about making a non canon design for the shuttle later on though ;)

Added more plating and started coloring everything. Currently only the Top view is almost finished (still needs some more plating and extra effects).

I am thinking about working out interior perspective shots as well :)
    92993.jpg
    Nice work. A non-canon shuttle definitely sounds like a good idea. Since you're designing a ship, you might as well go all the way and design support craft. :)
    Having finished adding the aztec plating I was not happy with some of the details so changed the bussard collectors and added additional details like the black plating (which houses sensory equipment). And as last there will be a 2 person shuttle for this ship.
    93043.jpg
    Really nice work on the ship and I like the shuttle even better. :D
    Great work! Thought the black lines on the saucer might looks a little bit too much like the ones on the Sovereign. Is it just me, or the name and registry are bigger in each image. :)
    You are right Rekkert :D looking at some samples I think it should have been bigger.
    And aboy the shuttle I am working, very early stage, on making something more out of that shuttle (see attachment ;))
    93065.jpg
    I'm a fan. Do you have to do something to get the perspective right on things like that, any kind of guidelines, or do you have so much practice that you can just pop it out in perspective?
    Really interesting stuff here.
    And continuing with the shuttle. Basically have finished the profile and line drawing of the interior. Now working on LCARS menus and after that fitting them in the interior shot. After that back to the frigate.

very_early_stage_of_a_shuttle_2_by_handofmanos-d4mh1iv.jpg
    Looking really great Flanker, but shouldn't the LCARS be green and blue considering they are from the TMP era?
    You are right Rekkert... it should be more blue but then again (making it easier for me) this could be a advanced (TNG era) shuttle :)

And almost finished it.
    93179.jpg
    Looking great! I love that holographic bit in the circle in the middle of the console.