Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBurning Deuterium

WileyCoyoteWileyCoyote0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2012 in Finished Work #1
I'm experimenting with overlaying various images of clouds to create a nebulae effect. I'm happy how this image turned out.

http://trekmodeler.deviantart.com/#/d4l04y3
burning_deuterium_by_trekmodeler-d4l04y3.jpg
92782.jpg
Post edited by WileyCoyote on

• Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    Most impressive! It shows your models quite well :D
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Great recreation! You definitively got the effect from the Briar Patch and from the gas coming out of the nacelles right.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Yes, very impressive job on both the nebula and the gas from the nacelles. :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work, nice to see you here :)

The smoke trails could use just a little clone stamping to make them look less like layered images, just here and there to break up the clean borders of the cloud image layers in some places, so it looks more like one continuous smoke trail :)
  • DaAanDaAan331 Posts: 0Member
    i really REALLY wish people would stop posting screengrabs as their own works :p

nice job on that i really had to do a double take i though it was from the movie
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, this is one of my favorite scenes from ST:Insurrection!
  • WileyCoyoteWileyCoyote0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, this is one of my favorite scenes from ST:Insurrection!
    Thank you!
  • StarshipStarship474 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,984Member
    Welcome aboard Wiley!
    Dammed cool rendering! :thumb:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Amazing work, almost looks like an HD-screengrab.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Incredible work, it does look just like a screen grab from the movie. Nice job!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Very nicely done. The "smoke" from the nacelles looks great but does break down a bit where it is close to the ship. Are you using mapped planes? It looks like it from that render. One way to possibly get around the problem would be to experiment with the particle spawn rates so that you have a larger amount of particles close to the nacelles that then die off gradually (and quickly) as they move away. Where the smoke does not overlap the ship, it looks great. :cool:

I find clouds are an excellent basis from which to create nebulas. My last two images started with bringing a bunch of cloud layers into Photoshop and applying various blending techniques until I got something interesting. :)

Deep-Space-Starbase-v7_t.jpg

Punch_it!-V2-1920x1080_t.jpg

I highly recommend that anyone who's having troubles coming up with interesting backgrounds for renders to give this technique a try. It can produce some really nice results.
  • mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    That shot is great and so near to the movie, I would see a little animation with the smoke out of the nacelles.