Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Constellation-Class Thread

• SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    *insert joke about rim and hole here*

Glad to see you've found the computer again. ;)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I would love to learn your post process steps.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Now remembering the one episode in TNG, where they had spontaneous holes appear and cause parts of the ship to simply vanish... Cost one of Geordies staffwhen she "fell" through a hole and the darn floor reappeared right when she was halfway through....
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I remember that episode. That image haunted me for most of my childhood. Being born in 1990, I was fairly young at the time. :p Honestly, I don't think the Borg ever got to me quite as bad as that.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I remember that episode. That image haunted me for most of my childhood. Being born in 1990, I was fairly young at the time. :p Honestly, I don't think the Borg ever got to me quite as bad as that.
    That was creepy. TNG didn't go for much graphic violence, but that was terrible. The episode itself was a bit mediocre tho
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Yeah, that particular scene was quite gruesome (from a childs perspective anyway, and given the usually rather non-violent character, also rather brutal for Trek, if you exclude the pics of the Klingon deaths during their wars). It's about the most prominent thing that I remember of the episode. Don't even remember the name, but your comment about falling through a hole and seeing a corridor.... Well, memories.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Some subtle material tweaks... homing in on what I want slowly. Getting there - back to some much needed modelling next :)

constellation_039.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks really sweet. :)
  • stolistoli79 Posts: 130Member
    Wonderful all round mate, details are superb.
    Have been adding some detail, finally. Still a little more to do before I run away from this area very quickly.

Also, was fiddling with render settings in the hopes of improving the quality without too much extra time needed. I failed. We won't discuss how long this took to render.

constellation_040.jpg
    This took a bit under quarter of the time to render. Still too long though. Accidentally the same shot, pretty much, but a useful comparison as a result.

constellation_042.jpg
    It's looking great. :)
    Chasing sensible render times, entering a blotchy hell. 5 hours. Looks like crud.

constellation_044.jpg
    Maybe it's a damaged section of the ship. ;)
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Chasing sensible render times, entering a blotchy hell. 5 hours. Looks like crud.

constellation_044.jpg

I see, the cleaning service is doing a bang-up job again... Looks nice, though.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member

5 hours to render? Ouch man! Looks like you are using Mental Ray for rendering. I hate setting up the final gather. I moved on to Iray because I don't have to mess with that. Besides the "blotchiness" I think this looks awesome! You did a great job at replicating Starfleet corridors. Hope to see more. :thumb:
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Looks nice Pawel. Finish the outside bit.
    Yeah yeah :) It's coming! Several more iterations later, and I have arrived at what feel like fairly well balanced settings. 3.5 hours on a single machine is acceptable. Back to modelling I guess.

constellation_054.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great, and cheap at not much more than half the cost of your previous more blotchy looking render. Excellent work.

:thumb:
    It looks great. For that level of realism with the lighting and materials, particularly the reflections, I'd say 3.5 hours is pretty reasonable. :)
    Final one for now. Still suffers from el blotchos in the gloomier circular corridors, although I think it this shot was missing some of the panels on the wall behind the camera so it's not quite as it should be here. Might add some extra ceiling illumination in these areas to try and tackle the low light issue.

constellation_055.jpg
    It looks good. :)
    Enough of these interiors now I think! One last batch of basically finished shots of this corridor set, which leads off the main shuttlebay.

I decided to alter the overall style of the set slightly, introducing a couple of nods to TNG corridors, as I am positioning this ship as being in service, probably with at least one refit under her belt, in that big 'lost era' - this will probably become Stargazer, in the early-mid 24th century.

If you're wondering why there's a ramp, well basically you can't get a sensible deck layout inside this ship unless you make a few tweaks here and there. It's quite normal on real ships for there to be half decks and changes of levels in decks, not all decks have the same headroom, etc. No different here. The rim area of this ship has decks with less headroom that in the core of the saucer. And to make things like the shuttlebays work with it, in a few places some ramps are required. I could have gone with steps but that doesn't feel right for a trek ship.

Some of the materials still need work, but I've had enough of interior work for the time being, and shall return to the hull next.

constellation_057.jpg

constellation_058.jpg

constellation_059.jpg

constellation_060.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Maybe they could adjust the gravity so it doesn't feel like a ramp. I wonder what a transition like that would be like.

I work in an aluminum extrusion/finishing plant, and the first thing the hallways made me think of is "I wish we could do bright-clear anodize that well." Looks Great.
    Yeah, awesome looking work on these interiors.

• Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Mind-blowing quality!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    The low perspective view of the curve in the corridor is particularly nice.
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Samurai wrote: »

Completely agree. That's my favorite shot this far.
    Those look awesome! With the shape of the hulls, ramps on ST ships really do make sense more so than the "flat" decks they had on the shows. But, then it would be harder to use the same corridor with the camera in a different position to represent different parts of the ship. ;)
    Samurai wrote: »

Yeah, you can almost see Kirk running down it towards engineering worrying about what has happened to Spock.