Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Constellation-Class Thread

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I agree completely with Jenny. The glowy bits are a nice touch. It makes the Constellation look just that much more real instead of just a ship of the week. :)
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Hmm ok... so they are more liked than I expected :) I'm still going to tweak them a bit though... they look a bit too much like a christmas tree at the moment!
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I like the idea of having them glow, although I think I'd rather have given them more of a Rec Deck / Arboretum style window feature (instead of the original blatantly obvious kitbashed domestic appliance vents - although the mesh is a nice addition!), and stuff them full of trees and whatnot -- rather than the christmas tree light edifices you've got them populated with right now... Sorry, I just can't help going against the grain! lol :D

If you're going to stick with sensor arrangements can I suggest something a bit less colourful - to maybe harken back to the silvery look over the lower Nav dome on the 1701?
    They're not really the right sort of place to put something like that. They would need to be more spacious for it to be worthwhile, and I don't really think it fits the ship very well anyway.

Right, I have made some revisions to the gubbins. Toned down the colour palette significantly - green and blue is fitting for a ship of this era, I think... will go with all the control panels inside :) Not so many bits emit light either. This is actually much, much closer to my original idea. I got a bit carried away with it at the weekend!

On to a new area next!
    93174.jpg93175.jpg93176.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Very awesome. The colors definitely fit with the era as you said, but it seems almost too toned down now. Maybe seeing a proper render of the entire ship to see how the lights look is in order. :)
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Looks even better now! I think it's spot on detailing! :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks great but now you can balry see the light though the grillls.
    I'll tweak it again later. Wanting to move to a different area now though. It won't be forgotten :)
    Time to move this along a bit. I have spent a little bit of time working on the forward tench details lately. These are essentially as they are on the studio model. I'll come back to these later and add moar detail.

Going to move to a different area of the ship next... should be interesting.
    93931.jpg93932.jpg93933.jpg
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great and very detailed!
    Thanks tobias.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks good, dude.

I always had a difficult time trying to figure out what all that crap was, especially towards the bow. I have a decent reference for the stuff towards the back, but not the front. Yours looks great. :)
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Awesome! You know, those fins either side of the trench remind me a little of what the NX Excelsior had on the dorsal area behind her bridge...
    So this thread is massively out of date - by over a year! There has literally been an update in that time. Today there is another :)

So basically, engines. The internal illumination is not how I want it, so don't take much notice of that. I'll come back to it later.

Also, bay door concept. Maybe a bit steampunk... They are clamps to maintain the seal between the slats, since these doors are of the roller type. The clamp pins are tapered, and slide onto an angled plate, thus producing the clamping force. They retract when the door is opened to allow the slats to hinge. Could always lose the clutter and go with a more sci-fi explanation for how they seal... 'very well', perhaps? tongue.png

Also, Epic Barrel Distortion!
    101796.jpg101797.jpg101798.jpg
    Wow, talk about a blast from the past. :p Looking good so far, though the extra stuff on the doors doesn't look very Trek. But then, this ship isn't like most Trek ships, so it just might work. ;)
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Finish it, you know you can do it! :)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s good to see you around again Paul! :thumb:
    Well, the doors are really unusual. Makes me remember this: http://economico.sapo.pt/public/uploads/articles/foto_pagina/cofres_bancos_PAGINA.jpg :lol:
    Well now I've done a render of them, I kind of quite like them so am tempted to keep them. They are somewhat in keeping with the general feel of the ship, and they'll look better when they have some proper materials on them. Now let's see if I can build up some momentum on this again :)
  • kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    i was so damn hoping you will continue this one one day. has been a long time but finally... i always enjoyed your work and it's good to see, this baby will be finished one day
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    A TNG comic had a typical secondary hull in place of the lower nacelle pairing. Any plans on doing that one?
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    So this thread is massively out of date - by over a year! There has literally been an update in that time. Today there is another :)

So, normal operating procedure then Paul? ;)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome back. I look forward to seeing new updates!
    So, I worked on the bridge a bit, and did some tweaks here and there. Engine effect is looking a little closer to what I want now. Not there yet though. I'll probably add a small amount of extra detail to the structure behind the bridge dome (already added a couple of things).
    103585.jpg103586.jpg
    Seems the forum software decided to add some extra compression to those images, which is why they look a bit crap in places.
    Yeah, newer versions of vbulletin will do that. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see you're still working on the ship. The bridge looks great. :)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,325Member
    ah cool I was hoping it was an update and not a necro. Lens stuff something in renderer or post?
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    That's post work. Never thought that kind of thing coming out of a renderer looked any good.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,325Member
    Yeah, I usually hate built in stuff as well but max had a glare shader that worked pretty good without spending a nightmare of time in AE or whatnot fooling about. But now I am being forced to use 2013 they have broken that shader horribly to the point it is utterly useless.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome back Paul! :thumb:
    I'm going to overwhelm you all with the speed these updates are coming in now!

Got around to adding the large greeble on the upper saucer. I decided that it is most likely some kind of sensor suite, and so I added some openings in the same style as the ones found on the coffins under the saucer, complete with some glowy objects for some visual interest. They're placed a bit randomly at the moment, and so I might tweak that a bit later. Happy with the general look though.

Need to remove a little bit of the mood from the lighting as well for next time.
    103814.jpg103815.jpg103816.jpg