Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChris Madden's Dedication Class

• MarkyMarkMarkyMark3 Posts: 0Member
    Hi all - I haven't been able to make much progress lately, due to some news - see below!

Baby_Kingsnorth.jpg

However, I did make a little progress to the nacelles which can be seen below:

dedication_draft_40.jpg
    dedication_draft_41.jpg
    dedication_draft_42.jpg
    dedication_draft_43.jpg

Responses to previous comments:

@Tochiro76 - yes the saucer bottom needs some further shapes etc to make it look a little less flat, I think this is mainly due to the fact that I have not yet incorporated some elements from the sketch. I would like to keep to Chris's original vision as much as possible though. I think option 2 for the shuttle is winning out, but I haven't got to it just yet. Even though transporters are probably more advanced...you can't deny a nice shuttle bay would be good, if done right!

@publiusr - I like your Grissom idea, and I too had wondered about incorporating the shuttlebay elsewhere. I think I am still leaning towards option 2 though, but this will be added properly next when I come to add more details to the stardrive.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Congrats on the baby :) It's the best 3d project you will ever do!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804616 Posts: 11,188Member
    You're making the best progress possible, the continuation of your family. Congratulations. :D

The nacelles are looking sweet so far. :thumb:
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,982Member
    Congrats on the baby Mark! :)
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Wow those are some nice tail fins:-) That ship looks like it is going fast even when it is not moving. But now the flat top of the rear area of the secondary hull detracts from the look those nacelles are giving off. Makes me think the secondary hull could be more rounded on the top somehow. I guess those nacelles look like muscle car and the secondary hull looks like bird house? Making that part of the hull different and longer somehow and streamlining it to a more narrow point and then the shuttle bay doors could be like a top/bottom of that point and they open only to let the shuttle in and then close again so the shuttle bay area is not so exposed and does not look like a bird house or as mentioned earlier a ducks rear. Lol that might be a bit to exotic though, simple is always better.

Maybe shape the underside of the secondary hull to better match those nacelles so the shuttle bay is kinda underside instead of in the middle... oh hey you know how the nemi has those two panels down there on the underside at the rear those shapes could be made into left and right shuttle bay entrance or one big door underside? That way you avoid that round hole shape completely no more duck shoot hehe:-)
  • CaptRicoSakaraCaptRicoSakara331 Posts: 0Member
    That design is very wicked and very damn good. Chris' Dedication-Class reminds me of the NCC-1701 Enterprise from The Motion Picture. The saize of the saucer section and the small warp section with long nacelles and pylons give it the BIG fell that Enterprise had in it's 1979 film.

I hope we get to see the nal draft so that I can try and create a LEGO mod of this ship. I would love to try to recreate it in LEGO form, just as I did the offical Odyssey-Class. =3
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Congrats to you and your wife on the baby. :)

Nice work on the ship as well.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Amazing ship, very sexy curves. And congrats on the baby, hope it goes well.

If you want some tutorials on materials and rendering, I like mrBluesummers's site:
    http://www.mrbluesummers.com/category/video-tutorials/video-tutorials-rendering
    The video tutorials are very well done, and they help me in many ways for 3dsmax.
    This is where I learned how to actually work with UVW maps.
  • vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
    I think Scotty or Data would be happy to put the name Enterprise on the model! Looks great.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I highly doubt he is going to comment. He hasn't posted on this in almost a year.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Surprise!!!!! :thumb:

Thanks for all your comments, I never forgot you all. I have been a very busy busy man. Firstly, Adam William Kingsnorth was born at 07.54 am on March 25th of this year:

396574_10151896819685074_847866477_n.jpg

However, I never forgot about my project, so in between nappy changes and all the things that being a proud father brings, I have finally managed to near the end of the modelling stage. Here are some rough renders:

dedication_0.jpg

dedication_0a.jpg

dedication_0b.jpg

dedication_1.jpg

dedication_2.jpg

dedication_3.jpg

dedication_4.jpg

dedication_5.jpg

dedication_6.jpg

dedication_7.jpg

Next stop is the texturing and lighting.
    96541.jpg96542.jpg96543.jpg96544.jpg96545.jpg96546.jpg96547.jpg96548.jpg96549.jpg96550.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2425 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,995Member
    That's a handsome, bright-eyed young fellow you have there.
    I like the 3/4 above aft view of the ship. I really don't care for the impulse engines, though.
    Congratulations on the baby boy, that's great. :D

The model look great, though I agree with rojren on the impulse engines.
    Do you mean the zig-zag effect of the underside, or the whole unit? I tried to capture the original sketch as much as I could, which meant having this Zig-zag underneath. Perhaps if I try and make the zig-zag look cool at the texturing stage I'll convince you otherwise ;)
    Yeah, I meant the zig-zag thing.
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Nice updates, i rather like that deflector/neck area. Very past meets future design. Looking forward to the next update :)
    Great news Mark!
    Congratulations on the baby boy!
    For myself, I have a little boy in 04 years old, and a little girl in 08 years old... Yeah, education takes time, as attemption to them. But IA’m very happy with them. Hope you the same. :thumb:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    That's a beautiful looking boy you have there. I have my first on its way now, due about Xmas. Congratulations.

That's a good looking ship you have there too. Nice lines, but I have to agree I don't think that detail in the underside of the impulse engines works so well, but other than that it looks great, looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Are you planning shuttle bays for the primary and secondary hulls? Looking good either way.
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,755Member
    Congrats on the little one.

An outstanding work of art. I love that ship. First rate.
    Alright, first off, congratulation on the kid. Cute baby you have there.

As per the ship, I like the deflector housing most, it looks fantastic.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I think the nacelle pylons need some work: they look rather flimsy and way to long to be practical. The whole ship has a very Excelsior-esque feel to it, which I'm digging a lot, but in that light perhaps you could also move the nacelles a little bit more to the front, so as to create a flow between nacelle and pylon?

I'm seeing a combination of Vector's work with Kaden and Galen's work in here. Am I right about that?
    I have seen Vektor's work before, so I can safely say things like the gradients in the background were inspired by that ;) Although the entire mesh here is based on Chris' sketch that I attached at the start of the thread. I don't know Galen/Kaden, but I have been out of the game for a while :)

I have thickened the nacelle pylons a little and played with bringing the nacelles forward. My aim has been to keep true to Chris' sketch however so in the end I decided to leave the nacelles where they are for now. I plan to release the mesh so you're welcome to play with it after :)

As for shuttlebays, they do exist - I don't think the renders picked up on them well so I've attached an image highlighting the two saucer/neck ones in blue. The detail at the very aft of the stardrive is the main shuttlebay/cargo area.

I talked to Chris about the impulse engines, and he sent me back some sketches which altered the design just a little. The zig-zags are more like foreshortened arrows now facing along the forward line of the ship. Appreciate this is only a subtle change and some may have preferred a complete departure (I wondered about making the underside of the engines have a more Sovereign class detail), but again I really wanted to keep to Chris' original sketch as much as possible.

So, with that, attached are the latest images.
    96668.jpg96669.jpg96670.jpg96671.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Coming along well, really like the first and third shots, very nice flowing lines.
    looks really amazing...
    I know it isntA’t present in the drawings, but I think the naceles would looks even better with transparent caps at her front. When glowing, it would produce a cool effect. :)
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,755Member
    Just perfect.
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15363 Houston Texas Posts: 48Member
    Any more to add? Really great work so far!
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    This thing is sex...pure and simple sex...wow
  • TopherFTopherF0 Posts: 0Member
    Was this awesome model ever finished and realesed would love to convert and put into a game!!!
  • vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
    This class is sexy. Purely amazing. Can we get a Enterprise named.