Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChris Madden's Dedication Class

MarkyMarkMarkyMark3 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all,

I came across Chris Madden's "Dedication Class" design for the Enterprise-F Star Trek Online contest and was quite taken with it. I contacted Chris and he was happy for me to develop his sketch (attached) into a 3D model.

I thought it would be good to develop it here, as I received some excellent advice whilst developing my Insignia Class. I also thought it was nice to return to scifi-meshes after all these years :) I always lurk the pages but rarely have time to contribute :(

Attached is the early work I have done so far with the model. I have kept Chris up to date with this initial development, and he was happy for me to post it here.

His vision for the class is that it is a homage to the shuttle program, and the ships would be named in line with that. I envision it to be a late 24th Century vessel, circa 2387. I read somewhere that a justification for the 2009 JJ Enterprise looking so "modern" was that the technology evolved differently due to the USS Kelvin's sensor readings encounter the Narada. I wondered that, if it also picked up some other readings - perhaps from a Dedication Class ship some distance on the other side of the rift, that would justify how the JJ Enterprise has similar lines to the Dedication Class.

It would be really good to get some advice on rendering and shading techniques for 3DS Max as I develop this further, and any other general advice. I'm always looking to improve my skills.

So, take a look at what I've done so far and tell me what you think...
96541.jpeg
Post edited by MarkyMark on
Tagged:

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I love the style of his sketch
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    I love that ship. It was my vote. I cant wait to see her finished.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    I have Severly thought of building this one after I seen it on the contest.. good design, and excellent image for it!!

Good luck with it.. plenty of Max users around, MadKoiFish comes to mind for one of the best.. and he's approchable (mostly) on questions!

Looking forward to this!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804616 Posts: 11,188Member
    Why didn't this win the contest?! This is way better than the chosen design, IMO.

Awesome start on the 3D model. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. :)
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Great concept!
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    That concept is definitively one of my favorites designs ever, so I really want to see how it evolves into 3D! Great work so far!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I really liked this design and voted for it as well. It's good to see that it is being made into a 3D model!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Interesting. This was my vote as well. It seems kind of strange that a design that is apparently popular wasn't chosen whereas one that most of us despise was. Just makes me wonder if the developers will get their collective heads out of each other's...ahem.

Anywho, nice start on your 3D interpretation. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. :thumb:
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,982Member
    Welcome back Mark!
    You captured very well the sketchA’s spirit. Based upon what I saw you building all the past years, for sure this mesh will turns out in a great ship.
  • MarkyMarkMarkyMark3 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the comments so far, and the warm welcome back!

I've just made a little progress on the neck detail which I thought I'd show....the ship has most of the basic shapes now, so after a little more fiddling I'll be adding more detail. The trickiest parts so far have been the stardrive and nacelles, as they are quite nuanced in shape.

I'll keep posting more renders as I go and welcome comments.
    90736.jpg90737.jpg
  • thth0 Posts: 0Member
    What a beautiful progression and I had hoped someone would model this , I can't wait to see it completed!.
  • Toragh1Toragh1331 Posts: 0Member
    Although I do like the winning entry, this was my favorite and the one I voted for. Glad to see it getting the 3D treatment!
  • XantaresXantares0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm well impressed with the skills you have to make such a well skulpted ship. :)
    That's definitely some top notch modeling work. :)
  • floodcasso2floodcasso2259 Posts: 124Member
    Gorgeous ship! Shame this one didn't win. The one they picked isn't nearly as good.
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,755Member
    This is perhaps the most graceful Enterprise yet designed--and that is saying a lot.
  • F9thCenturusF9thCenturus331 Posts: 5Member
    Can't wait to see it finished.
    Thanks all!

I've concentrated on getting the front surrounding "fins" of the deflector shape right, which was quite tricky.

Here are some better renders, tell me what you think:

dedication_draft_16.jpg
    dedication_draft_19.jpg
    dedication_draft_20.jpg
    dedication_draft_21.jpg
    dedication_draft_22.jpg
    dedication_draft_23.jpg
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Nice work so far! :)
  • rojrenrojren2425 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,995Member
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    That is a pretty slick ship.
    That definitely looks like a tricky part to model but you're doing a great job on it so far. :)
  • MOON'S EYEMOON'S EYE0 Posts: 0Member
    Love love love this design.
    Now I see stripes on the bottom of the painting. Could it be that could be a xindi aquatic counterpart to the arboretum, so that aquatics can look down at the stars?
    @publiusr - perhaps! I haven't moved on to the detailing yet.

I've been quite busy elsewhere for the last couple of weeks, so only minor updates. Chris Madden and I discussed some concepts for the shuttlebay, as seen below. The first two shuttlebays were sketched out by Chris, and we settled on the second concept, mainly because the first looked a little like, erm, a duck's behind!! I then modelled this roughly (for now) on the third shot:

dedication_draft_35_shuttlebay.jpg

Here are some further renders - I just noticed I've lost some of the smooth lines in the nacelle pylons, so I'll have to fix that. The shape of the stardrive still needs some further tweeking:

dedication_draft_35.jpg

dedication_draft_36.jpg

dedication_draft_37.jpg

dedication_draft_38.jpg

dedication_draft_39.jpg
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah that shuttle bay um no lol. I would use a slang word here but it would ruin your thinking from here on lol but I think you get the meaning of what I am talking about.

Hey does the bottom of the saucer have to be so flat? What if it curved in towards the neck instead not a lot just a little to help break up that flat look when looking at it from straight on. Everything else in the design is curved so flat looks bad and flat is old like the sovy. Also maybe the engineering section could swell a bit behind the deflector so that when looking at the ship from above that section doesn't look so rectangular? Please lose the duck butt shape at the rear and just go a bit towards sovy/entB shape unless the designer can come up with something even better than those shapes. What if you left off the shuttle bay back there? is it really needed in that century? They probably have much better transporters that just beam shuttle passengers aboard and the autopilot plays valet to the shuttle or hell just beam the whole thing aboard it is the future they don't need docking procedures anymore:-)
    The blue shuttlebay looks too much like an impulse engine. I definitely like the 2nd option better. Nice work on everything so far. :)
    I like the second option better. I usually like the shuttlebay on the sec-hull, but in this case, it might be best to have it on the saucer'es aft section, with the end of the secondary hull ending like the Grissom's secondary hull does, an aft deflector. In lieu of that, the second design looks best. You might have that as an aft ejecting anti-matter core.
    Now I'm warming up to the thrid option better...
  • nukenuke171 Posts: 0Member
    What a beautiful ship, nice and sleek.