Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise 1701-H (wip)

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work, though I'd suggest smoothening the engineering hulls upper area around that shuttle-bay. It's way too boxy...
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    It may be just perspective, but in most all your pics, the proportion of Saucer to Engneering huss is way off. A side shot might help show proprtion better
  • vivienneanthonyvivienneanthony0 Posts: 0Member
    rwking wrote: »
    It may be just perspective, but in most all your pics, the proportion of Saucer to Engneering huss is way off. A side shot might help show proprtion better

I attached a side shoot showing the scales. The windows along the saucer and engineering hull are the same. As for the texture, the engineering hull does match because of the texture node setup it shows it differently. If someone look close they cant count 42 decks.

Attachment not found.
    97113.png
    Aresius wrote: »
    Nice work, though I'd suggest smoothening the engineering hulls upper area around that shuttle-bay. It's way too boxy...

I might agree but would probably keep it boxy (maybe a refro fit). I would change it. I'm looking to get a carrier type view especially for animations. It still matches the line of the ship so I'm not worried about it.
    Attached is another ortho. It's a long ship.I want to add a Soverign so people can see the gradual progression.

ortho2.png
    97114.png
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I normally like teardrop shaped secondary hulls--but this is so large it demands linear lines.

great side view on that saucer. You should do a Planet of the titans enterprise.
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    Now that I see it in otherviews, The oversized proportions were perspective based. I like this ship
  • SebastianPSebastianP171 Posts: 0Member
    I think the problem is that the camera is set to a much too short focal length - you're getting almost fisheye-like distortions. It should be at least 28 mm, probably up to twice that in your case, in order to get rid of most of the distortion. The orthos are awesome, and don't show as much of a size mismatch as the perspective shot.

As for new technology, I'd be a bit careful adding a bunch of new stuff to an Enterprise. You might want some intermediate designs that can be credited with testing out all the new stuff - for example, the Galaxy-class didn't add any particular new technologies - all the stuff that was new to the viewers was already old hat to the crew. Same with the Sovereign-class - the new stuff had already been shown in Voyager and Deep Space Nine, or was featured on other ships that showed up in First Contact which were canonically older than the Sovereign-class.

So, each of your new technologies needs a prototype or test-bed class to test it out, and then it comes together in glorious harmony in the new "big ship" class, from which the new Enterprise is drawn.
  • SebastianP wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the camera is set to a much too short focal length - you're getting almost fisheye-like distortions. It should be at least 28 mm, probably up to twice that in your case, in order to get rid of most of the distortion. The orthos are awesome, and don't show as much of a size mismatch as the perspective shot.

I will increase it to 28mm and see what happens. As to the other point of test beds, I agree. Since it's a 26th century ship there is a few test-beds. Such as the Defiant, Soverign, and Promethus. I've modeled a additional ship at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78323-Star-Trek-USS-Magellan

The warp drive / slip stream is similiar to the big ship. It's heavily plated. I kept the standard impulse drive and smaller torpedoe bays. Most of the technology is proven but it has two additions of course a new power system.
  • SebastianPSebastianP171 Posts: 0Member
    I looked at my settings again, and the camera default (which I seldom change) is 24 mm focal length. The observer is then about half a ship's length or a little more away from the center of the ship when it fills the screen. What settings are you using at the moment (resolution and focal length)? Also, what are the camera coordinates? That might help nail down how to show the ship off to its best effect. :)
  • SebastianP wrote: »
    I looked at my settings again, and the camera default (which I seldom change) is 24 mm focal length. The observer is then about half a ship's length or a little more away from the center of the ship when it fills the screen. What settings are you using at the moment (resolution and focal length)? Also, what are the camera coordinates? That might help nail down how to show the ship off to its best effect. :)

The original perspective was 21 and I changed it to 28. I'll show you a picture. The file got corrupted so I had to rebuild some parts and combine old copies.

dock.jpg
    97700.jpg
    dock.jpg 166.9K
    Something to think about. Imagine the inset circular section being a huge secondary hull sized sublight landing saucer/base all on its own--similar to what you have here: http://trekweb.com/articles/2010/02/04/Star-Trek-Planet-of-Titans-The-Art-of-the-Unfilmed-Trek-Movie.shtml

Forget Captains yacht--this is the way long term exploration should be done--a nice base with a big mothership leaving assets and sats around a planet.
  • publiusr wrote: »
    I normally like teardrop shaped secondary hulls--but this is so large it demands linear lines.

great side view on that saucer. You should do a Planet of the titans enterprise.

I saw your new message. Thanks for the link and I remember seeing the conceptual design before. I will consider making a Planet of the Titans Enterprise.
    Something to think about. Imagine the inset circular section being a huge secondary hull sized sublight landing saucer/base all on its own--similar to what you have here: http://trekweb.com/articles/2010/02/04/Star-Trek-Planet-of-Titans-The-Art-of-the-Unfilmed-Trek-Movie.shtml

I left room between the saucer hull and engineering hull to put phaser arrays and interlocking clamps. The very bottom deck of the saucer section hidden between the two hulls are shuttle bay doors. I did model the shuttle bay doors area but not the doors completely since it cannot be seen. Also, small warp regions is hidden for warp engines on seen when separated.

Forget Captains yacht--this is the way long term exploration should be done--a nice base with a big mothership leaving assets and sats around a planet.

I noticed what you mean. That would be a interesting concept and I think in another model of this one I could play around with the idea. It would make the captains yacht look like a toy.
    Updated spacedock.

spacedock.jpg
    100524.jpg
    nice work so far. I like the new Spacedock..
    Glad to see you are still working on this.
    I made the following station to go with the drydock. I'll detail and do the materials during the week.

Gamma Prime 1
    100547.jpg100548.jpg
    Hm, interesting design. I take it the skydome is some sort of storage place, with all these crates?
    This is the update so far to the station. It's for animation only so I might make the glass foggy.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/forum.php
    100678.jpg100679.png100680.jpg
    I've haven't been able to render animations due to memory breakdown. So, I have the new DRAM.

I have a question. I would like some feedback on camera speed mostly and angle.
    I must say, I like the second one better. Feels more like a ship approaching the dock.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    nice station.
    This is a test including one of my ships. I would use Magellan in the drydock but it's too small. I'm considering using Independence. Rendered at 720p.

The video is at youtube.com/watch?v=BUgjPcvA7As&

Testing
    1. Dock - Light Setup 2ategory
    2. Ship - Light Setup 3
    3. Speed and Camera Angle
    4. General Lighting
    I will love some feedback. I'm testing everything from animation speed, angle, best lighting, and alpha layering. The scene is missing the space station, a few workbees/shuttles I made, and another ship (I'm adding.). I will be throwing in a star sytem and planets, and some space dust before I add hints of special effects.

I wil probably move the NXX Independence down towards the middle of the dry dock, smooth the movement, add some type of movement to the drydock. Also add effects to the ship to make it look like people are moving inside of it and lights turning off and etc. Suggestions recommended. I'm considering making the ship rotate opposit (inward).
    The semester is over now I can get back to Blender.

station.jpg
    101177.jpg
    nice work. Though the camera is a bit too static on the ship...
    I needed another ship for a animation. So, someone volunteered a model and I couldn't convert it from Sketchup to Blender. I am going make something similiar with the same concept but with additions. You can put her about the height of a Constitution. A bit, actually more powerful named Hyperion class.
    101543.jpg
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    I needed another ship for a animation. So, someone volunteered a model and I couldn't convert it from Sketchup to Blender. I am going make something similiar with the same concept but with additions. You can put her about the height of a Constitution. A bit, actually more powerful named Hyperion class.
    problems converting out of sketchup?
    try the tutorial link in my signature, if that fails PM me and i'll see what i can do.