Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGalaxy beauty

YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2013 in Finished Work #1
This is actually a redo of a picture I did a long time ago that I was never super happy with. I've been playing with this one a few days now trying to get everything tweaked. Made this one into a medium size and an extra large size for those with extra big monitors :) The monitor I'm on now I've discovered that the levels I see are often far different from what alot of other people see. I tried to compensate for this, hopefully I was successful... Hope you enjoy! For full enjoyment d/l the pictures and open. Firefox and IE often apply different color profiles to jpegs.

smalljpg.jpg

Large and Small versions, edited the lighting slightly on the larger one today...
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/32060732/1/star%20trek?h=eed617
89870.jpg
Post edited by Yaric on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Nice.

Is this in LW or one of the other conversions?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    It was done in max. Post in photoshop with a linear work-flow.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, I had no idea his galxy looked this good!

Also, try dropbox . You put the files into a public folder on your computer, and once synced you can copy the direct link from the files' context menu. No need to go to any wesbite to upload :)
    Yaric wrote: »
    It was done in max. Post in photoshop with a linear work-flow.

Cool.
    Melak wrote: »

Yea, his Galaxy is awesome, I think it's about the best publicly available Galaxy Class I've come across, all his models are excellent, he also made the Galaxy Refit from the final TNG episode. Unfortunately it's without textures, but it's still awesome nevertheless.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Melak wrote: »

Also, try dropbox . You put the files into a public folder on your computer, and once synced you can copy the direct link from the files' context menu. No need to go to any wesbite to upload :)

Thanks!

This seems to work well...
    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/32060732/1/star%20trek?h=eed617
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    its good, but im thinking the model looks a bit flat. see if you can rig up some specular lighting to bring out the highlights and textures, as well as the grid.
    also add some soft glows/blurs to the bussards.

damn, now i gotta figure out lightwave so i can render some beauty shots of an old 'D :D
    its good, but im thinking the model looks a bit flat. see if you can rig up some specular lighting to bring out the highlights and textures, as well as the grid.

damn, now i gotta figure out lightwave so i can render some beauty shots of an old 'D :D

Well, Prologic's Galaxy class is without textures... unfortunately... the readme specifies that if someone completes the model with textures... that they are to share it with the community, however, the textures I use, weren't made or added by me, so I can't release the model with those textures... and the textures aren't exactly made for the model, they're roughly mapped textures from another model, if I remember correctly...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

Like this?

moredefinition.jpg

There really isn't any textures on this model so I suppose it will appear a little flat. I had rendered out a seperate render with a different GI engine and it did create a little more definition on things except I thought it made things look "not real". I blended that render with it some.

Also, until I learn more about materials the bussards are about as good as I can get them. Adding a soft glow and blur in post has only produced some nasty looking results for me.
    89893.jpg
    Also, until I learn more about materials the bussards are about as good as I can get them. Adding a soft glow and blur in post has only produced some nasty looking results for me.

The model as far as I know, comes only with bussard textures... however, I can't do the materials, where I have the textures and allow for the inner workings to shine through like in your image... however, the model is still great nevertheless.

I personally think the bussards look fine, maybe make the red spots a little more blurred, so they appear more blended, and then just add a slight glow to them, to make them seem alive.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    It's supposed to look flat like that... if you look at the original 6-foot filming model as it was during the 1st season, it was flat, with the detail very subtle... it wasn't until they mutilated the model for GEN that it (the 6-footer) had all the overdone and ridiculous-looking detail. It was the 4-foot model that had the raised hull panel lines that made it look like the Playmates toy ship.
    It's supposed to look flat like that... if you look at the original 6-foot filming model as it was during the 1st season, it was flat, with the detail very subtle... it wasn't until they mutilated the model for GEN that it (the 6-footer) had all the overdone and ridiculous-looking detail. It was the 4-foot model that had the raised hull panel lines that made it look like the Playmates toy ship.

Well, back in those days, things still got washed out to a degree... you can still see some detail:
    farpoint1_017.jpg
    farpoint1_115.jpg

In any case, I actually like the refurbished look of the Galaxy Class miniature in Generations... it looks more realistic...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member

you're right, in the first season it looked like a plastic model instead of a 400 meter plus starship :flippy:
    Well you've inspired me homer. Gonna start a WIP thread about texturing this ship and then making it public. Everyone can use it except Chris :lol: :rolleyes: seeing he already has a somehow proprietary (against terms of use) textured version. I think I already have most of it figured out, just have to work more on the star drive section as unwrapping the UVs there is proving to be a bastard.
    Well you've inspired me homer. Gonna start a WIP thread about texturing this ship and then making it public. Everyone can use it except Chris :lol: :rolleyes: seeing he already has a somehow proprietary (against terms of use) textured version. I think I already have most of it figured out, just have to work more on the star drive section as unwrapping the UVs there is proving to be a bastard.

lol, actually, they're just loosely mapped textures of Flat Eric's Nebula textures, as my own use, hence why I can't release them for the model. :p

I'd be glad to make textures as well, if I knew how to do that whole process of UV mapping, etc.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    The ambient's a little high, but I dig it.
    new-dark.jpg

I guess I could have made a new thread for this but figured just use the old one...

Anyway, some reason I always find myself looking back on this one and wanting to tweak it, just really like the angle on the enterprise. I think this looks better than the original.

Hopefully the Jpeg compression didn't kill it too bad...

Put a higher quality one here...
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3frk1vp7d0nr3wn/kjSwz_r-RU
    102150.jpg
    I personally would try to smooth the falloff of the light for the deflector... but then again, on the 6 footer it is kinda highly contrasted...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It has warmth, and a nice softness. Perfect.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Why are the windows so SQUARE...the ends are supposed to be rounded
    Saquist wrote: »

That's something you'd have to ask Prologic9. :p
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • John MarchantJohn Marchant336 Posts: 96Member
    Thats the one thing that bugged me with Prologics Ent D, the windows have 90 degree corners instead of rounded corners. It would certainly have upped the poly count though and that might be the reason.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    I put fully rounded corners on mine because it's what I saw from the interior sets, but if I made it now I would do square corners like he has done, because they were like that on the model

so it's debatable saying the ends are supposed to be rounded
  • John MarchantJohn Marchant336 Posts: 96Member
    Didnt know that Dave. I like you mostly remember it from the interior sets. I think they look better rounded. However now i suppose it does not really matter.