Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationCaptain's Yacht Animation

IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
edited October 2011 in Finished Work #1
just trying to show off the low(ish) poly interiors from my enterprise model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psiz-LYNO70

http://www.vimeo.com/20113082

there are some things I'd like to change but by the time it was finished I couldn't be bothered to go back, I ended up with about 103gb worth of frames so I had to delete some, it was supposed to be like 30 seconds long but it just kept getting longer haha

the youtube quality is pretty poor even with the 1080p version, the vimeo one is better but only 720p I think
87608.jpg
Post edited by IRML on
Rory1707aeonjoey

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! :D
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    VERY nice IRML, in fact better as nice, I think you call that fantastic.

One nitpick, don't like the, I guess, fish eye lens, at the start when the camera turns, and in the middle when the camera turns towards deck 14, guess that is a personal taste, someone likes this better, others like that better.

Anyhow, looking very realistic :thumb:
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I just watched this on a 47 inch monitor and it was amazing! The camera was a little jerky in transition from looking at the ceiling to the door. But my favourite part was when the Captains yacht dropped. The lighting! It was incredible :)
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    my my, that was incredible
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Okay, wait a minute. Was I watching a clip on my computer or was I having a religious experience... Evidently you can do both at the same time.
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, wait a minute. Was I watching a clip on my computer or was I having a religious experience... Evidently you can do both at the same time.

Right there with you. Holy ****!!! IRML you are freaking amazing! Have some people or something in there and there can be nothing better in the whole freaking world!
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Is this cool, wow!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    awesome, just awesome! thnx for that, IRLM!
  • lockylocky331 United KingdomPosts: 0Member
    Really quite brilliant! And I rarely post.

Thank you for sharing IRML :thumb:
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    head-er, head-er, head-er... etc.
  • barry1barry1331 Posts: 0Member
    I can watch this stuff all day long, because closer to the enterprise we will never be. man, it was like walking on the filmset, great work
  • DacDac331 Posts: 0Member
    Ah...wuh.....dare I ask how long those frames took to render?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I think the longest one was 11 minutes, most of them were between 2 and 6 minutes, no idea on the total time though haha
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    "Lowish poly?"

On whose planet? lol.

My computer would take days to render just half of one of these shots.

Still nice though, I always wondered why they didn't include exterior shots in the windows besides stars in the movies, because in this video, it's clear you could see the warp nacelles, etc. from these shots.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Absolutely brilliant!!

I agree with previous, perfect lighting, felt like I was really there, looked like the feature film, close as we will get to being on board. Just wonderful man.:):):)

Scott
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Fantastic job!
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    @IRML What kind of set up do you run?

Nice video BTW
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    Wow, there are no words to describe this work.

Only one...this animation has a real professional touch...could be come directly from ILM :-)

The depth of field of the camera is amazing.

Great job buddy
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    "Lowish poly?"

On whose planet? lol.
    the waiting room is about 10000 polys, the corridor is about 6000, this is less than game res these days
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    @IRML What kind of set up do you run?
    you mean my PC? it's a quad core with 8gb of ram, I don't think it's anything amazing these days, it is 3 years old I think so it's not like some brand new ubermachine
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    IRML wrote: »
    the waiting room is about 10000 polys, the corridor is about 6000, this is less than game res these days

Ah, I think it's the raytracing, for the glass, etc. that cause the long render times then, any GI as well, because my computer can render something like that, in less than a few seconds without raytraced glass, etc.

For example, my avatar took like a minute+ to render that with V-ray, to say nothing about Mental Ray.
    IRML wrote: »
    you mean my PC? it's a quad core with 8gb of ram, I don't think it's anything amazing these days, it is 3 years old I think so it's not like some brand new ubermachine

I got a Quad Core, Intel Q6600, only 4GB RAM though, right now my HDD is my bottleneck.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Wow... I looked at your image first and couldn't figure out what was "new."
    Since the Enterprise E isn't my favorite, I haven't followed your WIP too closely (will rectify ;) ). At first I thought you'd put up some reference images of the briefing room set and screen shots to show where you were coming from design wise. I thought, "where's this captain's yacht?"
    Of course, I watched the movie and had to reinsert my lower jaw after it crashed to the floor. ;)

That's what I get for glossing over the post and rushing to the imagery. Just... Wow! :D
  • This is crazy good, how did you do the lighting? What renderer did you use? What program? Can I steal your genes? Scratch the last one....I'm gene intolerant, I work on caffeine and refined sugar. Seriously though, any tips on lighting and material setup would be much appreciated.
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good man! At first I thought that subtle flickering was final gather, but did you actually put on a film type of effect in post? It works pretty well. Did you do a lot of baking for textures and lighting?

*edit* headered. hey that's a fancy new header system we got. At least, since the last time I used it :D
    the interiors were baked, the yacht bit wasn't but there was no GI, I tried to be smart with seting up lights and bounce lights to make it look real, it worked out alright, the materials weren't very complex, just energy saving, the glossy surfaces were mostly blurry reflections but I used a bit of specular in there too, one of my early specular tests is up on youtube as well, I wanted to make sure I could use it in a way that was close to looking like ray trace reflections so it didn't lower the quality

there are a few different film effects there, but if you can notice the flicker so easily maybe I should have made it more subtle, something for next time I guess
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    awesome piece you did there.... looked very real!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    This is why I love my job!! SOO Much to learn... ya just never stop! Looks Amazing IRML !! congrats on the header1!!
  • A2597A2597336 Posts: 8Member
    wow. Brilliant man.

My only crit is lack of a spec layer on the exterior of the ship. I know, I'm not supposed to be looking out the window, but it caught my eye.

Aside from that, absofraginglitly beautiful!
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    I am still loving this. I especially love that purge of gas when the yacht drops down. Nice subtle (one of many) touch. I went and took a look at your WIP pages, and I must say I missed a lot.

I am curious however, and I didn't see any mention of it here or in the WIP thread, but how do those exterior hatch doors in the yacht waiting room open? There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance wih the observation windows. Or do they open into the window divider (I just noticed that possibility)?
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    pretty cool.

good lighting, good models.
    i'd only nitpick the solid blue engines coming to life.
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool. I guess Picard thinks he's driving a hot rod. He tears outta there!

Only thing I can see that bothers me at all beside the wreckless driving is the blue engines firing up. Seems like they should do a little neon flicker on perhaps. Either way, sweetness.