Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationCaptain's Yacht Animation

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Basill wrote: »
    I am curious however, and I didn't see any mention of it here or in the WIP thread, but how do those exterior hatch doors in the yacht waiting room open? There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance wih the observation windows. Or do they open into the window divider (I just noticed that possibility)?
    yeah I left a gap there so it could open into the hull, but I don't have any plans to show it open so I didn't have to worry about it much
    Yaric wrote: »
    ...Only thing I can see that bothers me at all beside the wreckless driving is the blue engines firing up. Seems like they should do a little neon flicker on perhaps.
    L2K wrote: »
    ...i'd only nitpick the solid blue engines coming to life.
    it's wierd, they were supposed to slowly power up, if you look carefully you can see the red lights from the front impulse engines slowly fading in, but even though they were keyframed in the same layer the blue just flicks on very suddenly, I re-composited that bit twice and every time I previewed it I thought it looked good but by the time it was tone mapped and post processed it was very sudden again, I guess it was too bright, I couldn't be bothered to change it a 3rd time so left it haha
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    So, not only do you have one gorgeous animation showing off a fantastic model, but also apparently bonus points for doing it efficiently. Do you mind if I ask what all you did post-process wise in after effects? I feel like I probably really should spend more time getting to know that program better. Excellently done regardless.
    quite a bit - compositing passes, depth blur and motion blur, exposure adjustments, all the lens effects, tone mapping and post processing
  • D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
    Anything I might offer in regards to how cool I think this is will seem inadequate, so I'll just offer you a massive well done! :thumb::thumb:
    (Although it's your attention to detail that gets me every time! - I love it!!)
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Extremely well done, sir!
    Loves it.
    So I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'd love to see some of the source imagery that goes into something like this. I know there's a bunch of passes going into the compo, and I'd love to see any of them. Wireframes, preview renders, all of it. :D I think this is easily one of the best animations I've ever seen on this site, and anything I can learn from it would be...valuable. :D I'm especially curious which AE filters you used for things like the lens flares, depth of field, bokehs, and exposure stuff. I'm pretty much trying to be a talent and brain vampire, here. :)

Again, exceedingly well done. I'd love to see more.
    I can go over this frame which seems to have a bit of everything, I had to delete most of the frames after it was finished because they took up over 100gb, so this will be slightly different from the final one, but close enough

I kind of approach rendering in 3 stages, the first I think of as the light simulation, which is really just the render from lightwave and any compositing of passes - only 2 passes for this shot, main render and depth, but others were split up into foreground/background and specific lighting elements etc, all were saved as half float EXR except depth which was just a greyscale PNG

2 render.jpg 3 depth.jpg

it looks pretty dark and nooby, but because it's EXR I can increase the exposure in post without any problems, I can use the depth pass to add very convincing blur to the image at a fraction of the time it would take to brute force it in lightwave, I probably could have done with separating this shot into foreground and background layers because there are a couple of errors on the chairs, but all in all it came out really well and the errors hardly notice when it's in motion, I use frischluft lenscare for that because it's very fast and flexible and seems to give the best post blur of any plugin I've seen, it's the only 3rd party plugin I use with after effects, everything else is just standard

4 comp.jpg

the next stage I think of as the lens simulation, I do all sorts of stuff here - barrel distortion, irradience falloff, aberrations, bloom, flares, aperture reflections and lens dirt - this is where setting up surfaces and lights to have realistic brightness and saving to a high dynamic range format pays off, it's just lots of different blurs layered together, no need for any of that optical flares tosh - I can just load in the frames and it'll put flares on the brightest bits without me having to mess with anything or track highlights and do it manually, because it's uniform I think I can get more realistic results with it than I could with any plugin, I can also keep the HDR workflow which I doubt optical flares or knoll could do

5 flares.jpg

the final stage I think of as the film simulation, here I tone map the image to simulate a film toe and shoulder curve, which removes all the problems you get with brighness that are big CG giveaways, nothing is ever pure white in my renders, I play with the colours to try and give it a sort of 1980s / 1990s quality film look, before films started looking like crap, I also add grain, gate weave, flicker and film dirt to try and sell it

6 post.jpg

hope this is the sort of thing you were after
    87710.jpg87711.jpg87712.jpg87713.jpg87714.jpg
    Rory1707
    only 5 attachments allowed per post for some reason, so here's the wireframe render and how that shot looked in the final thing
    87709.jpg87715.jpg
    Rory1707
  • Kronos 1Kronos 10 Posts: 0Member
    Man...that was a fine showpiece, fine indeed. Makes me want a new series even more...
  • lennier1lennier1914 Posts: 1,284Member
    It turned out even more impressive than I had expected!

And thanks for the de facto guideline/tutorial!!!
    I'm currently working on something that's supposed to have an early-90's film look (think Star Trek 6). This should prove quite useful.
  • VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    Dave: where are the cows? There are no cows torturing the crew.....
  • lennier1lennier1914 Posts: 1,284Member
    Dave: where are the cows? There are no cows torturing the crew.....
    They're the reason why the there aren't any people in those interiors. The cows all decided to release their methane simultaneously.
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow!
  • adjunct37betaadjunct37beta188 Seattle, WAPosts: 60Member
    oh wow...that could seriously have been shots of the actual live sets and I would have had a HARD time telling the difference...EXCELLENT work man.
  • Thanks for the walkthrough, I can't believe the polycount is so low, it certainly doesn't look that low poly, I wonder if you could get close to that quality with a real-time engine like Crytek 2/3, Unreal or Unigine.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Dave can always count on you to do somthing stunning!!
    Firelode wrote: »
    Thanks for the walkthrough, I can't believe the polycount is so low, it certainly doesn't look that low poly, I wonder if you could get close to that quality with a real-time engine like Crytek 2/3, Unreal or Unigine.
    I think you probably could, certainly if you are able to render proper HDR frames from crysis and then use AE for post I think it could look a similar quality
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Huge thanks for the walkthrough, very useful stuff.
  • WDragonWDragon171 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool!! Awesome!! Nothing more to say
  • JRL3001JRL3001331 Posts: 0Member
    IRML... OUTSTANDING man!! Absolutely outstanding!!!!
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Can we get a picture of the gold models on the other side of the room?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Simply WOW!
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic man, you've captured a real delicacy to it that has me very impressed.
  • AcemanAceman337 Posts: 269Member
    I'm late to the party on this one.. but OMG wow.. that's nice.. I was watching the video in awe.

NICE!
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,400Member
    wow....amazing! I was instantly transported to the movies and the excited I felt when I was a kid being aboard the Enterprise. Excellent and inspiring! I'll have to scour this thread and the build thread to learn more... great lighting and camera effects, it really sold the animation!
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    That... was just like being onboard.

Really IRML, you should be doing more interiors - that was simply too awesome for words.
  • Ronson2kRonson2k0 Posts: 0Member
    That is simply stunning. I loved the shifted focus. The video had me wanting to see so much more or your work.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    This is very inspiring IRML, it was difficult to look at it and think *hey, this is fanmaterial, not Paramount made*. I am concerned with the Captain Yacht's impulse engines, though, as they look flat without the ribbing that you usually see with impulse engines. Was this the same Captain's Yacht with the interior? I'd love to see a walk through from the observation room into the yacht :cool:
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    I love the lighting on the yacht as it turns into the atmosphere, you also caught the look of the first films in an amazing way.