Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWhat I'm trying to say is: UV Mapping, frak off!

InfinitySquaredInfinitySquared171 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
So, I've been pulling my hair out, setting my eyebrows on fire, and a lot of other things, trying to get the hang of UV mapping. What I'm doing now is creating a bunch of extra polygons to emulate texture.
Results so far:
343rhiv.jpg
And the base model:
2s7c9ow.jpg
Post edited by InfinitySquared on
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    That's pretty badass. What is it? A carrier? Almost reminds me of the SDF-1.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • InfinitySquaredInfinitySquared171 Posts: 0Member
    She's a Dreadnought class actually, she hasn't got any turrets yet though.
  • Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
    You too! am having a time of it myself.Though I just begun. it is funny everything I have read and seen says it is easy to use and like most image editing software ---Referring to bodypaint3d. I find myself often texturing and cuttin polys just to get it on there.

1st time I tried it I got some paint on it, now it just crashes if I try and paint.
    Painted one model- a helmet and it is black and wont accept any materials whatso ever.but in edit I can see my paint and materials but it will not render. Let alone trying to map and do it in PS-

I spose over time it will be conquered.
    Progress so far:
    2vkhhud.jpg
    Bumpity bump:
    Dorsal surfaces done.
    2uppkao.jpg
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    that's a nice looking ship you have, just keep in mind avoiding uv mapping will only get you so far :) earlier or later you'll realise it's unavoidable
    I'm planning to UV map it properly when I'm done, and render to texture so I can overlay some stuff over it. Don't worry.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Mapping is the bane of my existence... the most tedious part of modeling. Thank God for 3D paint in C4D, which makes it a little less time consuming, but still. This is a very cool model, btw!
    And, model finished? Not yet, the base is done. But there's still the turrets, and the modules, and the the other tiny details.
    2gwti7p.jpg
    1izb0w.jpg
    2moyohj.jpg
    And, lol. The ship still makes perfect sense when turned upside down:
    e62hds.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    It does! :o Cool design you have :thumb:
    Question: Is this large enough for a heavy gun battery? The cylinder is 1 meter in height by 1 meter in radius.
    2nbehdy.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Nope. A 40mm Bofors is just a little smaller than that size. See http://www.isazone.com/ww-ii/belfast/bofors.shtml
    Hmm. So what's a recommended size for a railgun battery?
    it doesn't need to be big, it depends on how fast it is too
    Hmm. Currently, I've got 32 Inch railguns. I'm guessing this is a little over the top?
    2aieagn.jpg
    EDIT: Attached:
    They see me cruisin', they hatin, and the polygons be tearin'!
    86310.jpg
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    Hey thats a cool ship:-)

Kinda reminds me of homeworld ships for some reason.

This is a long ship so your guns should be long too atleast the main guns that mostly fire forward. Top and bottom mounted turrets that face forward should be long too. Long turrets are more easily noticed during animation when they first start to move than short turrets.
    it does smell a bit of homeworld, which is always awesome. The turrets seem to be of perfect size imo. Remember for every gun you have you would probably want to have couple hundred rounds for it, something most people tend to forget when creating oversized projectile weapons