Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial Prussian Battleship: IMS Scharnhorst

AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
After quite a long break...

... and an insane workload in RL I finally got the time to start a new project. The ship is a Prussian ship of the line from my personal scifi project. Modelling is finished to 75% . For a better size comparison I have rendered one picture including the frigate I have already finished a few month ago.
85798.jpg
85799.jpg
85800.jpg
85801.jpg
Post edited by Alnair on
Tagged:

• LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow. That's quite a bit of work without posting any of it! Is any of that textures, or is it all pure modeling?

Thing is friggin loaded for bear . . .
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    The battleship is mostly untextured. Only the heatsinks and some minor components that were taken from the frigate are textured.
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Wow, looks great. I like your designs. Can't wait to see it finished.

Brian
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Your talent seems to be endless Alnair! Just damn beautiful work!
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Exelent model. There are a few technical questions, however:
    1) No artificial gravity onboard?
    2) somewhat strange accent on missile payload. Missiles are slow and easy to shot down in ship-to-ship combat...
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    just.. Wow.. what do you use to get such a great result?
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    VERY cool! Been waiting for this to show up for quite some time. :)

I'll echo the comment/question about no artificial gravity- looks like the ship isn't meant for long patrols, which I guess can make sense if it is a battleship.

-Will
    Your talent seems to be endless Alnair! Just damn beautiful work!

That's my impression everytime when I look at your work! :) I for myself are well aware of my own artistic shortcomings. ;)
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Exelent model. There are a few technical questions, however:
    1) No artificial gravity onboard?
    2) somewhat strange accent on missile payload. Missiles are slow and easy to shot down in ship-to-ship combat...

1) In my universe I try to keep with realistic technology as closely as possible possible. There are no FTL drives or FTL communication equipment. Background for the scenario is a binary star system with enough celestical bodies for a vivid plot. The major war ships have internal centrifuges with a diameter big enough for a moderate but comfortable centrifugal acceleration. In addition the ships travel for quite long periods of time under moderate thrust. So the centrifuges will only be used during periods when the ships don't accelerate.
    2) I'm not a missile expert but i don't think that missiles have to be sluggish in a space combat situation. The missiles in my universe fulfill the tactical role of other scenarios' space fighters but without their limitations. Without the need to respect the limitations of a human pilot regarding acceleration or the need to bring a pilot back to the mothership the missiles could be far more maneuverable than the classic space fighter. It would certainly depend on their engine and ECM systems whether they would be sitting ducks in space or not.
    I.g.(. wrote: »
    just.. Wow.. what do you use to get such a great result?

My 3D software of choice is Autodesk Softimage.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    As to what Stonecold posted above:

2) A more likely scenario for weapon deployment in the farther future is one-off drones that carry onboard weapons systems, such as nukes or kinetic weapons. Beam weapons too, if you're willing to fit them into your universe. Microwave lasers are especially popular in sci-fi, and are even viable weapons today. So you strap a weapon like a maser to a missile, then add countermeasures and electronic warfare systems, you suddenly have a very expensive, but very effective automatic drone that is a basic fire-and-forget weapon.
    That was exactly my idea for the missiles. The warships of my universe are equipped with different types of drones. These carry a wide variety of weapons depending on the mission.
    2 LockerFP

Problem is, how far you can deploy the drone? It have VERY limited propellant on board, so it can`t accelerate as food as the capital ship. Due to the lack of propellant it have to limit it`s maneuvers. It`s laser isn`t nearly as powerfull (or actually - precise) as the one on the capital ship, so it have much shorter firing range. What we receive here? One-shot weapon, that can be outruned or just shot down by capital ship, long before it enters the firing range. So, It`s actually nearly useless. The same problem, that prohibits the usage of "space fighters".
  • originalgaijinoriginalgaijin0 Posts: 0Member
    silly question but why is only the middle aft firing missile rack allowed to move, while all others are fixed?
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    Problem is, how far you can deploy the drone? It have VERY limited propellant on board,

Actually, in terms of Delta-V, only the mass ratio matters, not the total mass of the propellant. See here:
    http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/engines.php

So if the drone has mass ratio of 3 and the ship has a mass ratio of 3, and they have the same engine technology (same exhaust velocity) then it will have the *same* ability to maneuver as the larger ship (even though the ship is many times larger). Also, since the drone is automated it can afford to 'coast' without thrusting for long periods of time, effectively giving it extremely long range. It also has less payload to move around vs. a ship (no crew, no life support, no quarters, etc), so it's mass ratio is likely to be as good or better then the target. The drone doesn't have to be armed with a laser- it could get itself onto a collision course and break up into sub-munitions. Then killing a ship is just a matter of math- outlined here:
    http://www.rocketpunk-manifesto.com/2009/09/further-battles-of-spherical-war-cows.html
    Is a good rule of thumb on how many seekers= dead ship.

-Will
    Stonecold, that's an absolute valid point. To be usefull as weapons the drones would have to have a very sophisticated engine system. At the moment I'm fully aware of that problem.
    silly question but why is only the middle aft firing missile rack allowed to move, while all others are fixed?

The aft firing rack isn't movable. The rails are hardpoints for fixing additional external pailoads e.g. two more racks.
    Yes, for sure, Howeve, take into account, that in the lmited mass payload you have to achieve that ratio, you have to cramp quite powerfull laser system. Drifting without thrust, is actually VERY bad idea. Since the target will have more then enough time to avoid or to shoot down incoming threat. If we are talking about shrapnel rounds, please, calculate, how much shrapnel the whole ship of this class can carry. Then it`s quite easy to calculate, from wich distance the explosion should be triggered to form the cone, required to hit the vessel with at least ONE shrapnel round. My guess, the distance between rounds will be too large, and the ship can easily avoid the hit. Or, if you want smaller cone- the drone will be in the firing range of the shipboard lasers, and those just waporise the targeting system and let the harmless slug pass by.

So, actually the problem is - how to get enough shrapnel to sink the ship.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    A particular drive you might consider is the VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket). According to the article, its capable of "throttling" between High thrust/low impulse and low thrust/high impulse. This means that the drive can propel the missile at high efficiency on its way, then when it gets close the rocket throttles up and dodge the defensive weapon systems.

As for payload, a micro antimatter reactor is a good power plant and warhead. It could power the missile for years, and it would only need to get with a mater of a few hundred Kilometers to vaporise the enemy ship.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful design. I love it.
  • MeatshieldMeatshield0 Posts: 0Member
    One use for missiles is as deployment platforms for X-Ray Lasers (assuming those ever pan out).

Launch missile, missile closes to within range (or moves on a tangential course), warhead activates and generates beams towards target.

Even if you kill the ship, the missiles are still in play. The range differential (as the missiles have a tactical range of their own DeltaV* plus whatever the effective range of the laser is) may allow lighter ships to stand off heavier opponents (who might not be able to close to within their own effective tactical range).

*-we'll assume (arbitrarily) that one the missile stops being able to maneuver (exhausts its DeltaV), it's out of play. Not true, but useful as a base metric.
    Capt Dave wrote: »
    A particular drive you might consider is the VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket). According to the article, its capable of "throttling" between High thrust/low impulse and low thrust/high impulse. This means that the drive can propel the missile at high efficiency on its way, then when it gets close the rocket throttles up and dodge the defensive weapon systems.

As for payload, a micro antimatter reactor is a good power plant and warhead. It could power the missile for years, and it would only need to get with a mater of a few hundred Kilometers to vaporise the enemy ship.

Problem is the propellant, not the energy supply. Also, nucear/annihilation explosions are nearly harmless in space, unless they are performed severel METERS away from the ship.
    I agree with Stonecold that bringing the drones close enough to the target is the main problem. But I don't think that they would be useless. It depends on the tactics. Without drones each space combat becomes a close combat (in terms of the normal distances in space) within a range of only a few hundred or thousand kilometres. Saturation strikes with highly maneuverable drones could be a tactical element...
    Yes, it can work. However, it will take several drone-equipped ships with full payload to take out one laser-equipped ship (with the lens radius of 5 meters or so).
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Yes, it can work. However, it will take several drone-equipped ships with full payload to take out one laser-equipped ship (with the lens radius of 5 meters or so).

The question is: would it be necessary to get a direct kinetic hit on the target? What if some of the drones are equipped with bomb pumped X-ray laser warheads? Wouldn't a scenario be possible when a capital ship (battleship or frigate) deploys a salvo of drones with different warheads on varying attack vectors and simultaneously engages its target with the onboard weapons (lasers and railguns).
    And in addition: the laser systems are extremly vulnerable targets. Lenses and mirrors could be damaged by using drones with large sand or silica filled warheads that set their payload free in the trajectory of their target. With enough delta-V even a grain of sand massing only a few hundred milligrams should be able to scratch the lens systems.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    less discussion more WIP pics
    I still say you should give these ship's an "FTL" capability. Warp drive technology is not as unrealistic as many would have you believe. In theory, we already, at least mathematically, know how to do it. What we don't yet know how to do is create enough "contained" energy to power it. But recent advances in anti-matter containment experiments are showing promise that one day a matter/anti-matter reactor will likely be possible.

Your ships look advanced enough to when we can actually build something like that in space, an M/AM reactor could probably power it. And if can can do that a warp drive may very well be forthcoming. My opinion, and BTW Michio Kaku and many other breakthrough physicists, agree, that warp drive is not a matter of if, it's a matter of when
    At the moment I'm testing a possible configuration for the bow section. Following Stonecolds argumentation I decided to overthink the ships weapons systems. Now the bow houses a new primary laser with a 6 m mirror. I will see if that design comes out in a artistically satisfying way - until now I'm undecided whether I should follow that direction for the ship's final shape or not. The rendering shows the secondary laser battery deployed and in combat mode.

Sorceres, I was considering a FTL drive for month. I'm still not totally convinced that FTL will be possible some day in the future but for my plot a FTL drive would certainly enrich the background story of my project. I think I will give that idea a try...
    85828.jpg
    What are the crew compliments for these vessels? BTW, EXCELLENT job at creating a "common" fleet design line...

The one suggestion design wise I would make is that if you decide to incorporate some sort of Alcubierre or Heim drive, you may want to re-designate the function of the frigate's ring as the filed generator and do away with the "sails" in lieu of a ring for the battleship as well...

Speaking strictly aesthetically, I think I prefer the ring anyway..The straight edged sails break the design line too much..To my eye they look like they shouldn't be on the ship. They almost look like the ship is docked between two structures.

You could give the sails an arc to them connected by a much narrower segment above and below instead of making a full ring. That would at least bring the components back in line with the design style.
    Alnair wrote: »
    The question is: would it be necessary to get a direct kinetic hit on the target? What if some of the drones are equipped with bomb pumped X-ray laser warheads? Wouldn't a scenario be possible when a capital ship (battleship or frigate) deploys a salvo of drones with different warheads on varying attack vectors and simultaneously engages its target with the onboard weapons (lasers and railguns).
    And in addition: the laser systems are extremly vulnerable targets. Lenses and mirrors could be damaged by using drones with large sand or silica filled warheads that set their payload free in the trajectory of their target. With enough delta-V even a grain of sand massing only a few hundred milligrams should be able to scratch the lens systems.

Bomb-pumped lasers will give you a bit larger cone to spare. This will make system a bit more effective. However, the drones still have to enter the firing range of the capitalship and quite deep. Railguns, would be less effective, I guess, however, I can be wrong. Sand won`t do - it disperse too fast to be effective in any reasonable volume.