Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DS Max - Final Flares and V-ray Issue

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
When I render using the V-ray renderer, the flares don't disappear behind an object...

See linked video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAlW2VIdWhA

However, when I use the default Scanline renderer, everything is fine...

Update:
I also found that the same issue occurs with Mental Ray as well.
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I haven't used FinalFlares, but have you looked around for an occlude switch?
    I think the regular max flares have something like that.

If you are compositing anyway you could just make all objects in your scene black and render in scanline - at least till you figure out how to fix this :)
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Melak wrote: »
    I haven't used FinalFlares, but have you looked around for an occlude switch?
    I think the regular max flares have something like that.

If you are compositing anyway you could just make all objects in your scene black and render in scanline - at least till you figure out how to fix this :)

Yes, the Occlusion works when in Scanline, but nothing else.

The response I got from Cebas, was...

"This could be indeed very possible.

Final Flares uses a standard interface within 3ds Max to detect occlusion. If for any reason a 3rd party renderer is not supporting this feature it will not work.

In finalRender for example we had to add extra support for this."

From what I can see, FinalRender doesn't come with Final Flares, so I'm not sure, I might have to render the shot in one pass, and the flares in another pass, and add the 2 together, in After Effects, but that will increase the amount of work I have to do... :/
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Well if they say they had to add support for that in finalRender, that sounds like it should work there :)

Shoulddn't be much more work than rendering two layers and putting it on top in "screen" mode or something? If its too much work in your comp. package, just do it with a photoshop batc script :p
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Melak wrote: »
    Well if they say they had to add support for that in finalRender, that sounds like it should work there :)

Shoulddn't be much more work than rendering two layers and putting it on top in "screen" mode or something? If its too much work in your comp. package, just do it with a photoshop batc script :p

I have no clue, I might just do the whole, render 2 layers, one with the shot, and the other with the flares, and comping them together in After Effects.

Well, I'm not sure Photoshop would work with videos...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro