Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarfleet Museum Orbital Annexe

• LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, as the follow-up to my earlier post:

SAVE A COPY OF YOUR SCENE BEFORE YOU GO THROUGH THIS!

What I would do is select a section that can be mirrored around a central point (usually the pivot) and make that an entire 1024 or 2048 texture (or whatever size you want). Like so:

Let's say you created your initial saucer with 24 sections like below. I'm guessing yours has more, but that won't make a difference with this.
    texturing01.jpg

Select a section that can be replicated all around the saucer. For instance, one of those sections you created with the gray lines.
    img

Now invert the selection and delete the rest of the polys. I know this sounds scary! But do it anyway.
    texturing03.jpg

At this point, you should probably texture this part. Use an entire large image (preferably one that fits the part) as the base. Apply the texture and save a copy of your scene.

With the main object selected, press the Array button on the far right side, or find it in the Tools menu.
    texturing04.jpg

The following screen will pop up. Click the > arrow next to Rotate, enter 360 in the Z rotation entry section. Under Count make sure that the 1D radio button is selected, and enter the original number of sides for your saucer. In this case, 24. Then press OK.
    texturing05.jpg

You should now have the exact same saucer back, but with a repeating texture all the way around.
    texturing06.jpg
  • unusualsuspexunusualsuspex331 Norfolk UKPosts: 0Member
    @Aresius - thanks mate I'm getting there but feel yuk!

@LocKeFP - again, many thanks! That's another tool to add to my arsenal! Cheers!
    OK played with the textures and raised the resolution but there's still an element of fuzz to the writing, though I'm pleased with the plating effect. I suspect the fuzz looks worse than it is because the images seem to have been compressed? They look clearer direct from the hard-drive!

Main body next.
    85753.jpg85754.jpg85755.jpg85756.jpg85757.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    It really still does look fuzzy. Meh, will work, I s'pose. Nice work.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good.

You know, you can combine several textures on top of each other inside max with different resolutions.
    If you separate the text from the hull texture and put it into its own higher res texture, you cna increase the res of the text individually.
    Apply some more planar or cylindrical mapping (whatever you are using now) on a different map channel just for the text, and you should be able to add your text on top as a decal of sorts.
    Umm, you might want to consider how large your station is as to how large that text is. From what I gather, this station is massive, which means that text section is gargantuan. Try using a smaller font.
    @Melak & LockeFP

Bizarrely that was just suggested by Madman across at TrekBBS! That's my task for today!!! :)

Thanks to you both for that.
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    I'd also suggest that you make the text on those textures smaller. If you go back and look at some of the camera shots of various space stations throughout the Trek franchise, the text on them is nowhere near as... uhm... blatant. It's like this: text is pretty frackin' difficult to read in space at great distances whereas beacon lights are easier to find and home in on. This is the Federation, not MacDonalds- branding isn't a main focus for the Federation.
    Already sorted!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Aside from the text you said has been taken care of, I really like this. :)
    Ok new textures taking shape. Still a great deal of work to do but it's getting to a stage where I'm seeing what I intended now!

Obviously the viewing galleries won't have windows in the floors :) They're just place holders to give an idea! Still to retexture the lower saucer, add and texture a few more greebles, etc etc.

Comments as always appreciated.:thumb:
    85777.jpg85778.jpg85779.jpg85780.jpg
    Better, yes. Still got a bit of "fuzziness" going on with the textures- they lack a metallic sheen to them, which could be resolved by fiddling with the specularity settings a bit. I'd also suggest working more with Raytrace Materials- they offer considerably more flexibility and options for tweaking how the textures ultimately look when rendered. Another good thing to do is to use specularity and illumination maps, which can do wonders for giving a material a more dynamic look. Right now it's looking very flat, almost like the materials were texture-baked. I know it's a lot to take in and learn in a very short period of time, but it's amazing what a good set of textures/materials will do for a mesh.
    Yea, attempted a bump map, but although it sat in there I need to adjust how it lays. Is that a case of adding another UVW Modeifier or do I scrap the first modifier, add the bump map to the material under maps then set up a new modifier? It did add something to the effect even though the wrap was wrong :(
    Had a short break from the modelling as can't concentrate properly, but for all those planning a visit to the museum, here's your PADD!

(Oh, and the proper Starbase Legacy (for that is it's name now!) logo!) :cool:
    85790.jpg85791.jpg
    I like the Legacy emblem, but it seems to me to be inverted. Shouldn't the blue outline be the same as the Starfleet Academy - San Francisco logo?
    IIRC there have been inverted triangle logos before on screen and even some (like Jupiter Station) that aren't triangular at all! :) I just went for something slightly different but glad you like it.
    Nice insginia. :)
    Tweaked the lighting (an ongoing process) and added a few more textures. Windows or docking arms next!
    85834.png
    MUCH better. It's amazing what a simple lighting rig can do for a mesh, isn't it? Looks like you used the 3-point configuration, if I'm not mistaken. Using a light "dome" (as I call it- I mentioned it earlier and described it as a whole truckload of spot-lights surrounding the scene in a spherical arrangement) on extremely low illumination settings (0.03 or so) in conjunction with a 3-point lighting rig will do wonders for seeing how shadows will work out- the light dome/sphere ends up acting as ambient, low-level lighting that can be seen from all angles while the 3-point rig highlights specific areas.
    Reminds me a bit to the particle fountain and the odd fascinating station on Picards painting.
    I love it, tho. But I'd make a row of windows into the spires. They seem a bit emboxed right now, rather boring...
    Thanks Aresius!

Those spires are being a real pain at the moment. As you know this is my first attempt at modelling and the spires are actually a complete greeble which I'm having real trouble texturing (it's a fairly complicated structure.) However, the good news is I'm just about to apply windows to the top saucer so wish me luck!! :D

Actually, did you mean the docking arms? If so, they've yet to be textured but yes, they'll have windows!
    Docking spires or arms, meh... I mean the big thingies that stick out of the viewing galleries.
    Be gentle! I got my first set of windows on! Woohoo!

Yes, there's too many (some will be turned off!), yes they're still too bright (under review!) and yes they highlight where I;ve made those extrusions on the saucer too prominent (will be fixed!) but I'm getting happier by the minute! bolian.gif
    85848.png85849.png
    Houston (or anywhere for that matter!) I've had a problem.

My main saucer texture has just reversed itself so that the writing is back to front???

Any idea why it should do that or how to remedy it please?
    Wow, that's quite impressive. Never mind the number of windows, judging by the size of the station, I'd call them adequate. Too bad a bout the texture, hope someone knows how to reverse the reversed-writing...
    Good news! Sorted the texture!

Bad news! My computer (like me old and overworked) is now starting to struggle with the workload! Saucer rim is now lit too so pictures shortly!
    Ok I know that the general scene lighting is dark (on purpose) as this was a test render to see that the station lights were working!

Feeling much better about my abilities now, meagre as they are! :D
    85873.jpg
    test.jpg 146.3K
    Wonderful work here, I love it. I actually think the ambiente lighting is nice. ;)
    Thanks Aresius. The encouragement from you guys is what let's me know I'm on the right track! :D
    Well, progress after a short hospital stay, a chest infection and computer problems!

Upper and lower comms arrays removed for rebuild.

Escape pods provided for everybody! (Larger than standard with higher capacity.)

Windows progressing but work still to be done on both colours and textures. (That large dome section will indeed be semi-transparent, but the contents are some way down the line!)

Docking arms still to be textured.

Lower saucer still to be lit (plus both flat saucer sections.)

Other than that, progress!

(Lighting rig was pumped up some for these test renders so I could spot any flaws. Better renders soon)
    85918.jpg85919.jpg85920.jpg