Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDefiant mark ii

oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Delete this post
Post edited by oldmangreg on
Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Some more updates.
    Why is it you can upload only two attachments at a time? Oh well.
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    First, could you please post shots without the obnoxious and disorienting mirrorbox and poor lighting? It makes it VERY hard to see.

Secondly, I don't think the aft section should taper off so much. Try a more gentle, gradual approach.

Lastly, the nacelle/wings are just way too big. It gives the impression of a small fighter or shuttle rather than a small capital ship (comparatively small, that is). It looks like it might be a good alien ship, but honestly those are not Starfleet proportions.
  • larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
    this is a very impressive start. But i have to agree that the nacelles do look alittle to big, maybe try shortening them abit, but i do however love the main shape of the ship, its very differant, and that was the whole point behind the defiant in my opinion, well that and kicking the crap out the borg.

You have made a very promising start, but just rememberthese are only our opinions and personally you dont have to stick to cannon guide lines, it is your design and ship after all.
    Yea thanks. The reflective surfaces were kinda dumb but that other guy needs to be nice about it. I agree with you, since there is no official guidelines spare a few rules here and there. Trek ships are pretty much up to the designer. Even Gene broke a few of his own rules when he deemed it necessary. Anyways, I'm tried it his way. I kind of like it, but I'm not so sure on it yet. I'll post versions next to each other in a few.
    Here's a side by side comparison of both ships next to each other. Left is original, right is trying what somebody suggested. What do you think. (Also got rid of those stupid chamfer cylinders on the new one. They didn't work with the new config.)

Ignore those weird black spots on the bottom. They have been corrected since these shots have been taken.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    has no traits of the defiant imo looks nothing like it has no features similer to it at all
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    The shortened wing version looks better than your first posted attempt. I think over all it looks a bit flat though. With some more design tweaks, I believe you could really be onto something here!
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Really? The traits are obvious.
    I did make the new one a bit flatter because when you look at it from the side, it seemed awkward.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Really? The traits are obvious.

has no nose the back side looks nothing like it it isnt tiered like the defiant is the details arnt there and the engine design isnt any where near it
    A little picky are we? There is a reason it's called a WIP.
    no im just sayin there isnt really any thing showing its an evilotion of the defiant yeha ther configuration of the design is there but thats pretty much it
    Everyone has their own version of the evolution of ships. This is mine.
    that maybe but they would still show influinces from the orginal design and i see none other the then configuration of it
    Unless you have some useful tip, please stop commenting. The ship does have influences from the Defiant. I'm still not done with her yet. She's a WIP, which means I haven't got the prominent details down yet.
    thi sha s abigger defient influiance and its a yacht type shuttle attachment.php?attachmentid=84370&d=1282460049
    That's funny because mine is more like the defiant than this. Where's this from? It's an cool design.
    i found it on here it was psoted in the my take on the excaliber thread
    I like what you have done with the 2nd smaller version, but i think people are maybe right that the ship needs to be a little thicker, and i can see your defiant influance and maybe some from the saber class aswell, and to make that more prononced you can always do a simular armour platind design on her.

I personally think you go something quite intresting here.
  • I agree with the consensus that the shorter "wings" are the way to go, and MAYBE thicken the tail some. Looking forward to more...:thumb:
    colbmista wrote: »
    i found it on here it was psoted in the my take on the excaliber thread

Hmm okay.
    larundel wrote: »
    I like what you have done with the 2nd smaller version, but i think people are maybe right that the ship needs to be a little thicker, and i can see your defiant influance and maybe some from the saber class aswell, and to make that more prononced you can always do a simular armour platind design on her.

I personally think you go something quite intresting here.

Thank you. I have to get the proportions right before I make it thicker, otherwise it looks awkward.
    Sabre-class huh? Never really cared about that ship but I see what you mean.
    I agree with the consensus that the shorter "wings" are the way to go, and MAYBE thicken the tail some. Looking forward to more...:thumb:

I'll try that.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    The one with short wings looks better and resembles more her "mother" (Defiant). The one with longer wings makes me remember a pigeon without a head. :D
    About the coments that your ship donA’t appears as a DefiantA’s future version, I canA’t understand why. At least for me, she clearlly ressembles the Defiant, especially the version with shorter wings. ;)
    Go ahead!
    Starship wrote: »
    The one with short wings looks better and resembles more her "mother" (Defiant). The one with longer wings maker me remember a pigeon without a head. :D
    About the coments that your ship donA’t appears to be a newer version of the Defiant, I canA’t see the point. At least for me, she clearlly ressembles the Defiant, especially the version with shorter wings. ;)
    Go ahead!

Lol at pigeon without a head. Thanks. Yea, I don't know why they don't see it. I think the longer winged version I'll edit a bit more and make it like the fighters that come out of my ship.
    well i really like the saber and the defiant, very cool looking ships, have them both in startrek online...lol....she is looking better with the shorter wings and she does look like the defiant, without glasses im blind as a bat, and even i can clearly see that she has ties to the defiant.
    well i really like the saber and the defiant, very cool looking ships, have them both in startrek online...lol....she is looking better with the shorter wings and she does look like the defiant, without glasses im blind as a bat, and even i can clearly see that she has ties to the defiant.

Thanks. I never really cared for the Sabre or Steamrunner. I like the Ambassador and Akira classes a lot. They are like the only two I BC I use the most. I really like the Excaliber-class from that game. Probably once I get this finished though I'm going to start on a Ryan Church version of the Klingon Bird of Prey.
    Ok so some new updates. Thickened the tail end a bit. Had to edit the mesh there so it stayed streamlined. Added some strobelights and phaser-dots ( :D ). Some warpcoolers on the nacelle area. Trying to decide if those will be covered up or not. Watching this video on the Defiant, I see I needed some sort of grill looking thing where the deflector is. A bit of the mesh needs to be fixed. Big white thing on the back will be eventually a shuttle bay door. Trying to figure a good way to do the bridge. Front part of the nacelles still MIA.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Thanks. I never really cared for the Sabre or Steamrunner. I like the Ambassador and Akira classes a lot. They are like the only two I BC I use the most. I really like the Excaliber-class from that game. Probably once I get this finished though I'm going to start on a Ryan Church version of the Klingon Bird of Prey.

I quite liked the design of the streamrunner, but yes i got to agree the Ambassador and Akira classes are just really cool looking. Now that would be cool to see.

the tail is looking alot better. If i were you i would remove the phaser dots, and give her either puler phaser cannons or phaser strips...(and maybe a couple of torp launchers while you was at it. Im guessing the role of this ship will be the same as the defiant if that is the case i would remove the top and bottom warp coolers and keep them at the back just like on the original, you got to remember the defiant is designed to tack and dish out a beating, so armour her up, but dont over do the weaponry. I like the idea of the shuttlebar at the back, never really liked the drop bit they had (just reminds me of the nx-01 too much. (now i would have loved for that to have a 5th season and have the secoundry hull like they planned...and maybe show the war with the romulans.). For the bridge and she is designed to be a war ship although she is classed as a destroyer, i would put the bridge lowered into the hull and a phaser strip next to it, just like the orginal defiant, that way you are keeping inline with her heratige.
    I quite liked the design of the streamrunner, but yes i got to agree the Ambassador and Akira classes are just really cool looking. Now that would be cool to see.

the tail is looking alot better. If i were you i would remove the phaser dots, and give her either puler phaser cannons or phaser strips...(and maybe a couple of torp launchers while you was at it. Im guessing the role of this ship will be the same as the defiant if that is the case i would remove the top and bottom warp coolers and keep them at the back just like on the original, you got to remember the defiant is designed to tack and dish out a beating, so armour her up, but dont over do the weaponry. I like the idea of the shuttlebar at the back, never really liked the drop bit they had (just reminds me of the nx-01 too much. (now i would have loved for that to have a 5th season and have the secoundry hull like they planned...and maybe show the war with the romulans.). For the bridge and she is designed to be a war ship although she is classed as a destroyer, i would put the bridge lowered into the hull and a phaser strip next to it, just like the orginal defiant, that way you are keeping inline with her heratige.

She has pulse phasers, just trying to design them to match the original. The dots are where the strips will be eventually. Not sure how to do the torp launchers till I get some better pics of the Defiant. The warp coolers are kind of extra ones, that I will cover up. I think what you said about lowering the bridge into the hull I will just bolean that; it'll work.