Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIcarus 2 WIP

scott2753scott27536 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I have been wanting to build this ship for a long time now, and finally decided to tackle it :) This is the Icarus 2 from the 2007 movie Sunshine starring Cillian Murphy and Rose Byrne (28 Weeks Later). The original model was created by the team at MPC London, and took 6 months to build, and could not be loaded into their software as a whole, the model contained over 1.9 GB of Data O_o so the work had to be composited. MPC London stated that this was the largest model that they had yet built.

Hope you guys enjoy, still working on it, and I am figuring on about 80% complete at this stage.

Cinema 4D R11.5 (64-bit)
83419.jpg
83420.jpg
Post edited by scott2753 on
StarCruiser
Tagged:

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work!

Minor nitpick: you gotta turn the shield towards the sun :p
  • scott2753scott27536 Posts: 0Member
    Melak wrote: »
    Nice work!

Minor nitpick: you gotta turn the shield towards the sun :p

ROFL! yes the shield will be toward the sun once complete and the hull lighting in place - right now I need it to see, and the details look best with some shadow ;) Thanks mate!
    Re-designed the framework for the living section shield, still need to add some of the diagonals to it though, adding surface details to the shield, I will have that part done tomorrow.

Icarus2WIP9.jpg
    I wanted to include an overall shot of the living section and shield in one of these renders, and showing the detail work on the living section shield.
    83455.jpg83456.jpg
    StarCruiser
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! Looks really really cool. I've never seen the movie. Is it any good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It depends upon your definition of 'good' The ship was good. But having somebody go nuts on the ship...

Well that is just bad scripting.:rolleyes:

The other problem is the use of such insignificant energies such fission based systems. Come on, the sun is so massive, that any thing we could do would be too minor in scale by about a billion to one against.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    alleyviper wrote: »
    Wow! Looks really really cool. I've never seen the movie. Is it any good?

Thank you :D I myself though it was a VERY good movie, though I know plenty of people that I think just didn't 'get it' I think it is definitely a movie that should be watched more than once to get the full impact of the very deep underlying message. The mission was the true hero of the movie, in that it was more important than any individual human life, that the success of the missions goal meant whether humanity lived or died. Simple as that.

The modeling of course was... WOW! MPC is an amazing company when it comes to their effects and models.
    Nick R. wrote: »
    It depends upon your definition of 'good' The ship was good. But having somebody go nuts on the ship...

Well that is just bad scripting.:rolleyes:

The other problem is the use of such insignificant energies such fission based systems. Come on, the sun is so massive, that any thing we could do would be too minor in scale by about a billion to one against.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agreed about the payload, as to the movie, I disagree, as I stated in the reply to Alleyviper ;) My first time through it in watching the movie I was so so about it, watching it again at a later date made me think, watching it yet again with the purpose of digging into the underlying message I realized that yes this was a VERY good movie.
    As shown here, without the main shield or payload, the living section is nearly completed, all I lack is minor tweaking here and there, cleanup and grouping.

Been at this model today almost 14 hours, so this will be it for tonight
    83458.jpg
    StarCruiser
    You have done a beatiful job.

Yes the mission was important. But perhaps I am suffering from a case of too much Hollywooditis. This is a condition caused by the existence of feather merchants in Hollywood, in which brains have the tendency to be left behind in one way or another.

My father first pointed this out to me better than twenty years ago. At the time we were watching an old submarine movie, where according to Hollywood ever crew member was always in a state of near panic, for little or no reason - it was done, just yo add in selling of the story, not added for any real reason. Even back in WW II they the U. S. Navy knew how to train crews correctly, to avoid any panic situations.

Lets look at the ship in question.

The interior, is, if I remember correctly very well designed, and not cramped, or totally inhuman. In other words why wouldn't you want to live there? This implies that everything was well thought out by the authors/designers. This I highly approve of. Another factor to include in this, is the lvel of communications with back home, which is very high for most of the voyage. Which is, if my understanding is correct, far better than on a U. S. Submarine...(Submarines don't like to give away anything that could be of use to a hostile).
    You have done a beatiful job.

Yes the mission was important. But perhaps I am suffering from a case of too much Hollywooditis. This is a condition caused by the existence of feather merchants in Hollywood, in which brains have the tendency to be left behind in one way or another.

My father first pointed this out to me better than twenty years ago. At the time we were watching an old submarine movie, where according to Hollywood ever crew member was always in a state of near panic, for little or no reason - it was done, just yo add in selling of the story, not added for any real reason. Even back in WW II they the U. S. Navy knew how to train crews correctly, to avoid any panic situations.

Lets look at the ship in question.

The interior, is, if I remember correctly very well designed, and not cramped, or totally inhuman. In other words why wouldn't you want to live there? This implies that everything was well thought out by the authors/designers. This I highly approve of. Another factor to include in this, is the lvel of communications with back home, which is very high for most of the voyage. Which is, if my understanding is correct, far better than on a U. S. Submarine...(Submarines don't like to give away anything that could be of use to a hostile).

Too much Hollywooditis - Amen to that! I hear you there, and funny you should talk about the submarines as I spent quite a few years onboard US Navy submarines ;) Yes we were tested and tested and tested again over and over with a battery of tests - if you didn't pass them you generally didn't go on, instead going to serve onboard a surface fleet ship :)

Truly the only wacky person I think on the whole movie was that Commander Pinbacker from the original Icarus 1 - who was a deeply religious man who... cracked, thinking that if the world was going to end that it was God's will, and how dare we try to change that.

There is just something about this ship, from when I first saw the movie just grabbed me. How realistic the overall design of the ship was - to me anyway - and how close we are to actually doing something like that (the design anyway). Also the huge monumental task it would have been to build the ship (obviously it took 7 years to build the second one) and how the entire world FINALLY gathered together in unison. Wish in some ways we could have that now.

Thanks for you comments and your thoughts on this, I do appreciate it.
    Well as to realism, well it doesn't have warp drive. That is a plus(this from a ST:Technology fan). Gravity is genrated by spinning? No grav plates... Even better. The ship is reaction driven, another big plus.

As to your Service I thank you.

My father was during WW II in the USNCB's(Sea Bee's), and discribed himslef as a wood butcher third... An he did more sheet metel Quanset Huts - assembly) work thant wood...

Me? I have never served.
    Well as to realism, well it doesn't have warp drive. That is a plus(this from a ST:Technology fan). Gravity is genrated by spinning? No grav plates... Even better. The ship is reaction driven, another big plus.

As to your Service I thank you.

My father was during WW II in the USNCB's(Sea Bee's), and discribed himslef as a wood butcher third... An he did more sheet metel Quanset Huts - assembly) work thant wood...

Me? I have never served.

LOL thank you very much, yeah the tech in Sunshine is more 'realistic' at least to us then for some of the other shows - except that bomb. Of course yes, it had the mass of 'roughly equivalent to Manhattan' as Dr Cappa said at the beginning of the movie. I was reading an article about that in doing research for this that spoke of the scene in which he was viewing the probabilities of successful completion of the mission and payload delivery - when he made the decision that the rendezvous with Icarus 1 was a priority. He had spoken of the payload reaching near relativistic speeds as it was launched into the gravity well - the article stated what exactly would a massive bomb do when detonated so near an event horizon? LOL all neat stuff yes. Flat out I just love the ship ;) That is why I really started this project lol.
    I have thrown some simple textures onto the Icarus 2 living section and decided to play around with lighting a bit. Nothing big or spectacular yet. Well here you go.
    83480.jpg
    StarCruiser
    I should mention from the David Brin story Sundiver that there is only one time that one may visit the sun. When it is dark out....
    I should mention from the David Brin story Sundiver that there is only one time that one may visit the sun. When it is dark out....

Ahhh I remember looking at some of his books when I was younger, but some appeared kind of strange lol. I was a big Andre Norton, Mcaffrey, Asimov & Heinlein fan at the time.
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that last image looks film quality stuff. Very good work you are doing here.
    kippa wrote: »
    Wow that last image looks film quality stuff. Very good work you are doing here.

Oh wow, well thank you, can't say I agree with you at this point yet lol. It still has a long way to go for that ;) If ever :P lol
    Okay this time focusing a bit more on the lighting - the first thumb has different ring lights on the shield - the second one I refined them a bit more...
    83500.jpg83501.jpg
    StarCruiser
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Coming along nicely! Lighting such a ship is the real fun - with all those tiny lights (you need lots more) in the framework. I think you need much more detail in the habitat section (depending on how close you want to be able to get)
    Coming along nicely! Lighting such a ship is the real fun - with all those tiny lights (you need lots more) in the framework. I think you need much more detail in the habitat section (depending on how close you want to be able to get)

Thank you Tobias :) I have a LOT of fun lighting a ship, in fact had a blast lighting the Saladin and Kelvin of yours on DA - I agree, I think I need more lighting in the framework, but I will wait on that as I have to detail the payload section next. What sort of detail you think I need - gadgets? Various greebling? It is hard to see from the pics I have drummed up, the ones you showed on Foundation are great too, some of the best I have seen, but still hard to see detail. I searched long and hard too to try and find blueprints of this thing on various blueprint sites I frequent. So far no luck :(
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Very realistic. It wouldn't take much to turn this into a Ramscoop, or to turn it around, put an arrowhead nose, and have the dish being used as a blast shield for a very bright nuclear reaction, like a comets coma coming off the disk.
    publiusr wrote: »
    Very realistic. It wouldn't take much to turn this into a Ramscoop, or to turn it around, put an arrowhead nose, and have the dish being used as a blast shield for a very bright nuclear reaction, like a comets coma coming off the disk.

Thank you very much for that ;) No I think I will keep it to the movie specifications lol. Though that would be interesting ;) I had thought one time about doing a ship with the nuclear pulse propulsion I read about once - small pellets of fissionable material are detonated behind a massive shield at the stern of the ship - the shock wave in turn propelling the vessel forward.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    That was the nuclear put put orion with a heavy pusher plate. Now I had an old kids book on ufos, and it looked rather like your ship from sunshine. Now, it had a pointed nose, a more solid neck, and saucers parked on pads, The outer cone would slide over the top of the inner parking section.

This might be the book
    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=9781888223&noworks=1&query=scholastic+UFO&qsort=&page=1
    publiusr wrote: »
    That was the nuclear put put orion with a heavy pusher plate. Now I had an old kids book on ufos, and it looked rather like your ship from sunshine. Now, it had a pointed nose, a more solid neck, and saucers parked on pads, The outer cone would slide over the top of the inner parking section.

This might be the book
    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=9781888223&noworks=1&query=scholastic+UFO&qsort=&page=1

Hmmm no I don't remember that book, if memory serves me correctly it was from a 1980's issue of either Popular Mechanics (at the time my fav magazine lol) or Scientific American.
    Here is an update on the lighting, still doing a lot of work to the main shield lighting so bear with me ;) I tweaked a LOT of poly's on that shield - I also added more lighting to the living section of the ship.
    83648.jpg
    StarCruiser
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome. The lighting exposing the framework on the shield is a nice touch, though it would be cool to see a little more variation in the intensity and temperature. There would be subtle differences even if they were technically the same light type. Can't wait to see some texture work... that should be loads of fun. :)
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    I love the work that you have done on this, also love the international space station that you have done also at 2753 productions. Both have a touch of class.
  • BlubalBlubal0 Posts: 1Member
    Hi there, it looks awesome!
    Can i download this and use this as an asset in a fan made game?

kind regards
    David from germany
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Welcome to Scifi-Meshes @Blubal.

Please don't bump old threads, especially just to beg for free models. This one hasn't seen any action since 2010 and the author seems to have not been around in several years.
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!