Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DContainers

FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
While working on the Dropship. I had an idea for another dropship. It would not be used for peopele but containers. So it more of a Cargo Dropship, than your standard Dropship.

But before you can start to build the Dropship, you need to build the containers for it.

So here is what I have so far. A simple Container simular to the ones we use today. of course the size of this is much bigger as you can see by the Max Man standing next to it. this took me just over a hour to model. It is now ready to be textured.

The second container has more of a SCI-FI look, this one is about 90% complated. I just need to add details to the front and back as well as under the container itself. I have also added a animation of the doors openning.
83002.png
83003.png
83004.png
83005.png
Post edited by Freak on
Tagged:

• alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool man. I like the larger one especially. I am working on a similar project myself on the WIP forums at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?75981-Designing-Space . I don't get alot of time to model a week so progress is very slow. Do you have your dropship posted on here?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    nice i love the retractable roof thingys
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    alleyviper wrote: »
    Cool man. I like the larger one especially. I am working on a similar project myself on the WIP forums at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?75981-Designing-Space . I don't get alot of time to model a week so progress is very slow. Do you have your dropship posted on here?

Thanks.
    I do have a dropsihp I am currently building on the site. (Link can be found in my sig.)
    However a dropship for these containers... No, I think it best to build the container then build the dropship. I got a desgin in mind but with the two container I built so far I got to make some changes, to the desgin.
    colbmista wrote: »
    nice i love the retractable roof thingys

Thanks I got the Idea from a BSG Epsoide, where the Vipers hide within a container. when the Viper come out most of the container is lost. This way you don't lose the containers.

Done some more work on the first Container by adding textuers and making a little animation.
    Finished all the modeling of the second container, I am happy with the way this one came out.
    It simple but larger than the first continer. As you have seen form the first post, the roof can also open up.

contianer-2-finished.jpg

I did play around with textuers, nothing to major just reusing the ones from the first container.

contianer-2-textuer.jpg

I also came up with a quick way to do a thrid container, it's basicly the second one tunred up side down expet for the side doors (so here you can see the underside details of the second container). this mean it can be access from under the container when it is locked into a cargo ship

container-3-finished-under-details.jpg

Here are all three container next to each other. The first is the doors closed the second is with them all open except for the middle container as I have not modelled that.

three-containers.jpg

three-containers-open.jpg

The next pictuers shows the scale difference between a noraml standard container. The length is a bit of but it gives you an idea of the size of these containers.

contianer-1-size-compaire.jpg

And fianlly here is the cantainers along with the dropship. again to give you an idea of the size of these containers.

scale.jpg
    Here is the final Container. This one has been built to hold liquids and gas. I have also added textuers to it, though I need to get some dirt maps for the canisters.
    I also put the BP logo on as a little joke.

I also did a render of all the containers together.

With the container now finished it time to start building the Dropship that will take them up to the Mothership.
    At this moment I am not sure if it should carry only 1 container at a time or two. These are the larger containers. If the ship takes one of the large one, it means that it can take two of the first container I built.
    83317.png83318.png
    With the container now finished, its time to move onto building the Dropship for the container to go into when, when being taking from the Mothership/ Space Station down to a planet.

I always built the ship then had problems with finding place or even making the landing gear. So this time I thought I would build the landing gear and then the rest of the ship.

landing-gear-down-no-housing.png

landing-gear-down.png

To help get the look of the landing gear I found diagrams of a Concorde landing gear and used that as the bases of my design.

landing-gear-rear-down-no-housing.png

landing-gear-rear-down.png

Finally I placed the landing gear roughly where I want it to go on the ship.
    As you can see I am reusing the cockpit from my Dropship. The idea is that both ship where built by the same company.

starting-the-layout.png
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool!
    Thanks
    There was some issue with the engins that would be used for take off and landing, namely in the area that the cargo containers would go, as it was poking out here slightly. I did not want to make the ship any wider than it currently is.

To resovle this I built a cover that would not stop the container go in. it also used for the claps which hold the containers in place.

And here is a little animation of the Claps in action. I did this as a test to see how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2of-i4_Qf0
    83967.png83968.png83969.png83970.png
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    That's pretty freakin cool.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Can I get the file to your green guy? I need a dummy (lol) to show off sizes of my models.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    That's pretty freakin cool.

Thanks
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Can I get the file to your green guy? I need a dummy (lol) to show off sizes of my models.
    No problems, what format do you need it in? also PM with your e-mail address.
    Started to add details. Started with the engines I think this turned out really well.
    Once that was finished I start to do the panels. But not matter what I tired it did not really work.

engine-details.png

engine-details-2.png

container-drop-ship-panel-tes-1.png

In short this build was not work for me. Which meant only one thing, rebuild.
    This time I though I go in a different line. I was thinking more along this. S-64 Skycrane

Sikorsky-S-64_.png

Sikorsky_Skycrane_civil_c.jpg

So here what I started off with.

type-2-cargo-dropship.png

type-2-cargo-dropship-with-container.png

Shaped it out a bit more. Closed off the sides as I donA’t think having them open during a re-entry would work. The tail still needs to be cleaned up a bit more. I also used the small engine nozzle from the other version.

type-2-cargo-dropship-2.png
    That's pretty cool. The last one reminds me of the drop ship from Aliens.
    One of these days I'll finish my drop ship.
    Thanks, that was in the back of my head I when I came up with this one.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    The rebuild looks 10X better, IMO. I really like how this is turning out.
    Thanks

I am liking this verion better as well. Though I have found one problem with it.
    at present, if the container is fitted onto the ship, it is still touching the floor, which mean the ship can't move.
    I have tired lifting part of the ship so the container would not be on the floor but that does not work. As the shape is no longer as nice.

I'll have to come up with something to resovle this issue.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    give it a vtol(vertical take off landing) system
    Give it bigger wheels.
    I have been working on the VTOL system today, I always planned on putting one in. but I still like the ship to move around on the ground with the cargo container locked in place.

I might go with more hydrolics in the landing gear that could push the ship up. Bit like a London bus letting a disabled person on and off.
    I'll throw this idea out there: have the main body of the ship like move up, sort of like a rail system. Got the idea from my cargo carrier, which also has a rotating midsection, so if they encounter a "bottom feeder" (ship with bay doors on bottom) they can rotate that part of the ship and deliver the cargo.
    ^ I was thinking along the same lines.

lots of little thing have been done over the last few day.
    starting off with the ships main engines. still need to do a few things in this area like detail it up a bit more.
    But this pic gives you an idea of the engine set up.

type-2-cargo-dropship-engine-details.png

next up was to cut a door into the main hull for the crew to get in and out. I built stars and worked out how it all opens. (a short ainmation of that coming soon.) Again still need to add details to this area.
    I also put in "arms" that will pick the container of the ground and hold them in place while on the ship. To say modelling them again, I just took them from the other version.

type-2-cargo-dropship-loading-arm-and-hatch-doors.png

Next thing to do was a "Braces" to the ship that would give a stonger conection to the landing gear/ VTOL Engine pod and the main ship. after that, it was to build the VTOL. simple design on this one, but I am not sure about the grid that covers the top. I am thinking that I should leave it open.
    I have also built hatches that will cover the VTOL engines when not in use and for re-entery into a planet atmosphire. I think I should add more details here but not sure what. I might look at an ISD to get insperation.

type-2-cargo-dropship-volt-angle.png

Top of VTOL engine

type-2-cargo-dropship-volt-top.png

Bottom of VTOL engine

type-2-cargo-dropship-volt-bottom.png

also started to do some panel work though this pic does not really show it off.

type-2-cargo-dropship-landing-gear-pod.png
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    that's a nice looking lifter you have there, refreshing to see something other than warships
    Thanks, I now finished the panels and will start to add the thursters. updates later in the week.
    Last odds and ends have been modelled. This is the quickest ship I have modelled to date, if you count form the point I started over on this.
    I happy with the way it came out. So without a do here are pic of her finished (without Textuers for the moment.)

type-2-cargo-dropship-current-standing.png

front-view.png

side-view.png

rear-view.png

And here it is with the Cargo Container.

front-view-with-cargo.png

side-view-with-cargo.png

rear-view-with-cargo.png
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic! I like the way you went about your design process, and how you wrapped a ship around a container.
    Damn that's pretty cool.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    It looks like a baby Galactica. :)

Really, though, it's coming along really well.
    Thanks Guys.
    Juvat wrote: »
    It looks like a baby Galactica. :)

Really, though, it's coming along really well.

LOL I was thinking the same thing after I had finished posting the pic.
    The look was unintentional.

All that is left to do is textuer this girl. Might take a while as I not sure how to do dirt maps in blender.
    I going to have to find a good video tut on that.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, good looking cargo lifter here, and I can really see your design progress has improved a lot over the past few years mate. After being absent from the forum for almost a year, I can really spot the difference. I've been mainly painting mini's over the past few months but damn, this is making my clicking finger itch.