Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMotion Picture Drydock

• tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    That might very well be...

Does anyone have blueprints for the travelpod handy? I have the blueprints on paper, but I have to dig out the old scanner tomorrow and set it up to scan them. If anyone has them on their comp, IA’d appreciate if you could send them to me. It would save me a bit of time. Thanks a lot!
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding, what else is there to say:)

Only one crit, there were 4 of those spotlights on the bottom.

Pod:
    http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Federation/Shuttle/TravelPod.htm
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?13014-Akyazi-Akula/page50

scroll down abit.. gave them to Basil... :)

hmm.... can i borrow that?? i'll bring it right back!
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    IA’m pretty proud of it, now I "just" have to animate it and bring it to life.

You have brought it to life in those images, Tobias. Animating it will make it REAL. I've died and gone to Trek fan heaven!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Very nice dude. It would be interesting if the animation were set during the middle of the refit, with the Enterprise only half re-constructed.
    wjaspers wrote: »
    Outstanding, what else is there to say:)

Only one crit, there were 4 of those spotlights on the bottom.

Pod:
    http://www.neutralzone.de/database/Federation/Shuttle/TravelPod.htm

Thanks for all the nice comments!
    And thanks for the hint - I thought there were only two of the mooring beam emitters.
    Another thanks for the links to the blueprints - those will be very helpful.

Lehm - that has been done in one of the former SotL calendars already, so I donA’t think IA’ll be doing that.
    will you be retexturing it grey and removing pieces for the dock from Generations?? just incase you do an excellsior?? :)

from the image, looks like the mooring beam emiters seem to be impulse units... to move the whole darn thing.. he he.. looks good!

looking forward to pod!
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    That is truly amazing. I must ask about those horizontal structures that stick out from the upper portions of the large flat panels in the frame work. Did you have any special close reference imagery or were you able to construct them by screen shots and artistic license? They look amazing. Of all the HD screen shots and studio model imagery I have collected over the years, I was never able to exactly figure out their actual definition in shape. Mine are therefore somewhat less "evolved."

Also, that mesh like texture on the frame members looks fantastic, but was that actually visible on the model's surface or was it just something you used to give it more definition? Again, amazing work.
    Valk - I might do that in case I ever need a TNG-era dock. I just donA’t plan it for the near future.

Basill - thank you very much. IA’m not quite sure which structures you mean, but you get a lot of very good reference stuff from the restoration pics of Ed Miarecki.
    http://www.edmiarecki.com/press/2010/5/11/star-trek-tmp-dry-dock-studio-model-restored-by-ed-miarecki.html
    The weave-like structure was added as a special notion to Andy Probert, the original designer. He told me that he envisioned the tubes to be actually seperated strips that could be formed in any shape wanted, which were hold together by the rings. That was not done on the filming miniature, but now itA’s pretty easy to do with some texture work.
    always nice to have the original designer to consult!!!

so basically the whole thing is a kit that they mass produce somewhere and erected and disasimbled as needed? is that what he had in mind? or bunch of kit pieces that could build a larger or smaller dock?? just wondering :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    did you add any details on top in the end?
    Valk - I think that sums it up - at least as far as I understood him. There were supposed to be a whole lot of shipyards around Earth, thus the different markings. Of course only one made it into the movie.

IRML - no, its just a texture on top right now. Should I ever need to see the top, IA’ll have to think of something....
    so there's like a big TR on top of the dock, just like a big JMS on the back of babylon 5??? :)
    That a nice idea Valk :) Right now, there are just boring plates...

Thanks to all for the blueprints - got them from various sources by now - but it seems there are just no views from the top, only the bottom. Oh well, IA’ll figure something out.

This is how far it is after a few hours work...
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    I continue to be impressed at how fast you are...

Great work!
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Wow, that is impressive stuff. Did you build this for a certain project, or just because you wanted to?
    Lehm - that has been done in one of the former SotL calendars already, so I donA’t think IA’ll be doing that.

Really that'd be cool to see. Know which one it was?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it was recent, like last year or the year before
  • trekkitrekki951 Posts: 1,403Member
    is this a Phase II Project ?
    Very nice objectA’s.
    Greatings :flippy:
    I plan to use those for Phase II as well as a new SotL picture.

Modelling has been done for the Travelpod - tomorrow on to texturing and lighting...
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the squares around the docking ring hooks are cut out, I think they're just inset.

Can't wait to see those animations!:)
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the squares around the docking ring hooks are cut out, I think they're just inset.

Correct.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    furswift wrote: »

Can't wait to see those animations!:)

Tobias' version is cooler than original Trek so we must accept it :devil:

It looks amazing anyway, can't wait to see more !
    Thanks for the hint - I didnA’t see that. Changed it.

Texturing and lighting is done...
    83568.jpg
    its not Pod 5??? so sad.... :(

very nice!! question, the front lights(headlights) what kind of texture you use? looks Really like a headlight!!!

Thanks!
    It IS a headlight texture :)

There are slight differences to Pod 05, so I choose another designation.
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow your texture work never ceases to amaze me !!!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    This is just unbeliveable ... I mean great job ! :thumb:
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Fantastic work Tobias, and ridiculously fast! :D

There's a couple of oddities on the mesh though. There's several places where light seems to be being shone on the hull from no visible light emitter, which looks really odd. Also, while this may be fully accurate to the actual model, but on this inside of the doors they appear flush or indeed slightly raised away from the back wall: Since those doors actually expand into the coupling on the opposing airlock (since there is no space for them to open into in the wall of the shuttle it's self), and that's indeed how they are modelled on the exterior, shouldn't they be recessed on the inside? Or is that a secondary pair of inwardly opening doors inside the shuttle?
    Hi Tobian,

thanks for your input. The "strange" lights you are referring to are on the real model as well - there are spotlights that come from basically nowhere, highlighting the designation and some other areas. I havenA’t found a solution to that yet, so I stuck to what was seen on screen.
    YouA’re right about the hatch inside. I might go and tweak that should the interior really be visible in pictures or animations. My bigger problem is how to get people inside. If anyone has a nice, rather lowpoly and realistic looking figure in TOS uniform that he could share, IA’d appreciate that. Could be used for the workbee as well...