Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMotion Picture Drydock

• VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    yeah i have a dual core 8 gig at work, works better than an i7 that my partner has... or atleast it seems that way... O_o

yeah, love the layers in maya, I work on both maya and max, so i know the worst of both worlds... and the hassel max users have when they want to use references, using planes... where maya, its in the background, and can size it easy..

old one at home... amd 64bit, windows xp, 1.5 gig ram..... Really need to upgrade!! what takes 10 min at work.. takes 45 to an hour to render at home....@_@

Thansks! Looking good as always!!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Got the connectors and the lower end finished - next up will be the main structure...
    Shiny!!
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, I've been away too long. That is looking awesome! A greebler's heaven (or hell) I know what doozy this one is. :D
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I don't know if this would help or not
    http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=202100
    Thanks - yes, I saw these. They are nice, but not entirely correct. When they built it, I think they reused part over and over, but not always at the same place, so there is a lot of variation. IA’ll probably try the same - building segments and re-using them.

I made some progress this weekend with the main structure - the sides and one half of the front is modelled, still to do is the other front and of course the bottom, with the method I described.

Tobias
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    I can see a TOS era shuttle parked in one of the berths. Nice touch, though to me it looks a little smaller than it should be.
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    I really love your work even if i'm not the greatest Star Trek fan, but your work is insane !

Some time ago i had the fortune to get a closer look at the you HyperGate you modeled earlier, so i could imagine how this dock will end up !!
    Great work. Kepp it comming :thumb:

Cheers, Stephan
    The Nydenion Hypergate? Went a bit overboard in terms of polycount on this one - itA’s always tempting if you have something that can be reused that often. Same will probably happen with the drydock...

I resized the shuttle quite a bit - it should make more sense now. Started with the other front side - got better ref for this one, so it will have a bit more detail.
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    Amazing work. Just amazing. That's really all I can come up with. :D
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    The Nydenion Hypergate?......
    what ever happened to nydenion? people were working on that years ago and I haven't heard anything about it since
    holly poo!

.. this is something i need to work on.. greebling, and paneling.. .

Looks excellent Tobias!

any chance of a wireframe view?? Thanks!!
    I resized the shuttle quite a bit - it should make more sense now. Started with the other front side - got better ref for this one, so it will have a bit more detail.

The shuttlecraft seems to be in better scale now. Still, it's hard to tell without an Enterprise in the drydock for reference. Even then it kind of depends on what you think is "canon" in terns of scale. I've actually scaled most of my Enterprise models up a bit to better accommodate certain interior set details.

In any case, this is looking amazing, Tobias. It's sure to be yet another feather in you cap when it's completed.
    IRML wrote: »
    what ever happened to nydenion? people were working on that years ago and I haven't heard anything about it since
    Nydenion is still in production. You can find the latest news here: http://www.nydenion.com/

Finished the other front of the basestructure, including the bigger hangar. Next up will be the underside...

It seems IA’m running out of attachment space soon - I guess I have to clean up the Kelvin and Enterprise threads even more to get some space.
    oh cool! is the light in the back just an ambient? or ambient + area light? just wondering, its a wonderful effect!
    This is just so disturbingly good. The intricacy of the detail is staggering. Tobias, are you sure you're not fooling all of us by building real physical models then just saying they're CGI?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I can see later versions, with portions of the space office (Regula's disks) sticking out of the corners on later versions--pre-Generations
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Loving the detail.
    Do you extrude all the rectangular greebles and panels from the main hull or are they single objects?
    Valk - thatA’s just two area lights
    buckaroo - thanks, but itA’s all CG. A real drydock would be very tempting, but I wouldnA’t have the patience to build it.
    publiusr - hmmm - the space office complex... also very tempting. But first things first...
    nightfever - I try to extrude the bigger parts from the underlying bigger object. The smaller plates and tubes are seperate objects. So itA’s a mixture of both. If you extrude all you get tons of polys that arenA’t really necessary.
    Started the greeble mania on the main structure - I put a comparison picture with the actual model in it. Still have to be careful with the polycount... :)
    82828.jpg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    Started the greeble mania on the main structure - I put a comparison picture with the actual model in it. Still have to be careful with the polycount... :)

I can see how the poly count can run away with this one. Looks pretty spot on so far.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • RayonxRayonx331 Posts: 0Member
    Good luck. I cannot render my drydock with the greebles on, it will just burn my processor. Excellent work as always.
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member

Wow, that brings back memories. (Nervous... creepy... memories. ;) )

I can't tell you how many times my Lightwave crashed when I was working on that part of the drydock (my old PC), and using those same e-bay images until everything in the universe looked like red clay.

Now someday I'm going to have to work on that final "bay section" on the end that I puttered out on. You nailed it! Awesome job! :D
    I think I got all the elements they used for the undersite of the dock - all layed out and mapped. Still pretty lowpoly in itself - but the sum of it all will add up to about a million polys I guess (just the underside greebles)
    hmm.. would working in nurbs help on the poly count?? just thinking..

already over a million without the top... good luck! and looks great!
    Hearing phrases like "a million polys" makes my brain scream and try to run down my spinal cord in abject terror. If I tried to do anything with that kind of poly count, my computer would mutiny in the most violent of manners.
    Val - I donA’t think so. Nurbs would translate into much more polygons while rendering. Working in polys is the best way to keep the polycount down.
    Buck - A few years back, IA’d agree - but if you want to have a decent looking model and such a complex structure, itA’s just necessary.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The details are just wicked cool, I especially like the comparison between your CG and the actual model.
    Please continue to amaze us :D
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Impressive as usual. But then again I've been a fan of your work since the old Highlander movies. :D

This thread has inspired me to put away reference material for Andrew Probert's V-shaped drydocks (link).
    Do you have any plans for building that variant as well?
    After all, once you have the standard version it's simply a matter of building different splines for the lower section and adapting the already available pieces.

Call me biased but it would probably be great to see some of your old models (1 & 2) in the background of a finished wallpaper as well, especially the good old FASA station (1 & 2). ;)

[edit]Different revision of the dock: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/tmp-dock-probert-av-presentation/ [/edit]
  • ctaylorctaylor0 Posts: 0Member
    Great detailing.

I remember your work from the old Amiga days, it was always top notch modeling.