Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTech Flooor Tests

• soulburn3dsoulburn3d1 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks IRML, that's just the look I was going for.

Two new ones...

tech_floor_6.jpg

tech_floor_7.jpg

- Neil
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Sweet, those would look pretty epic on a giant object! :) and yeah it definitely captures that old-school look!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    im seriously blown away by the detail you put in there - it really captures that "look", id love to see it show up in a model. Incidentally, (like everyone else) im a HUGE pixar fan, if you ever have an opportunity to share some of your TS3 work (if your allowed) that would be pretty awesome!
    Thanks guys.

Homer, I only worked on TS3 for 4 weeks, so there's not much to show :) We have 5 films going here at the same time, so not everyone works on every show.

- Neil
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    That....is insane...so insane its cool ot the other way around, Im not sure. Very inspiring work nontheless.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Dyson sphere/Death Star detail...
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    You've definitely captured the Homeworld look. The last three images suggest city-scapes to me. Good job :)
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    wow - these look great - best would be a structure that is a mile long. It will be interesting to see these textures finally on a model.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    I really love the feeling of depth you have obtained through what is really several thin layers

It takes me back to the great C64/Amiga game covers (which a few people have already talked about the old skool aspect) which had this kind of vibe (please excuse the lack of a better description than 'vibe') basically what I am trying to say is I love it :)
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Can we get some hi-res of these images? It would make a killer wallpaper.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    I'm wondering if this technique will be applied to anything.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I reckon it could be applied to a full detail Halo model nicely

if you've ever played the game, when they get up close to the outside face of the ring, it looks just like this sort of detail
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    those are cool images great work.
    Wow, a lot of posts since I last visited. Thanks everyone, glad you're digging the work.

Dimitriy, I'm afraid I don't give away highres copies of my artwork anymore, I used to way back in the day, and people used them illegally for album covers, even someone started printing posters of them and sold them without my permission or giving me any credit or money. So now I tend to keep everything reasonably small.

As for examples on how these textures might be used, here's one I just finished. The pattern on the side of the base is similar to the Tech Floor 6 image. The buildings are mostly 3d with some 2d paint, and the rest of the painting is 2d, done matte painting style.

Click for the larger version.

days_end.jpg

- Neil
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Good Lord, that is beautiful!

Yes, people in general suck- if they cant do it themselves, they steal it....
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    These are really cool, even without context, it kinda reminds me of my old abstract artwork days. I'll be checking back at these for referances for some of my ship designs!

Great site too.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Really impressive!

Do you have any plans for wrapping these techniques into a commercial plugin to make them available to others?
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    soulburn3d wrote: »
    Cool, I've seen some of your ships too, good stuff,[...]
    Wow, thanks, nothing like hanging around talented folks and trying to pick up whatever you can to get better.

Love the image and the more recent textures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Bloody nice pic :D Though i do demand a wallpaper resed version of that image. So i can don my desktop with it :p
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Do you have any plans for wrapping these techniques into a commercial plugin to make them available to others?

No plans, although it would be cool. It would be a hell of a lot of work, not sure it could sell enough copies to outweigh the cost.
    nutsy wrote:
    Though i do demand a wallpaper resed version of that image. So i can don my desktop with it Click here to enlarge

See my response to Dimitriy above on why I no longer give out large copies of my work. Sorry dude.

- Neil
    I hate to say this... But we all suffer from art theft. Ive had it a few times too... Doesnt stop me posting my work.
    Now now, no begging, we don't want that sort of thing here :D

Superb work, and yeah that's a great application for that sort of thing!
    Nutsy wrote: »
    I hate to say this... But we all suffer from art theft. Ive had it a few times too... Doesnt stop me posting my work.

And that's cool, I totally respect your decision. So hopefully you can also respect mine, even if I've decided to choose differently.

- Neil
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    Sad thing about the Digital Age. The internet being a communications medium rather than a broadcast medium like the TV or Radio. Anything that's digitized can spread without much effort. I too have had a few compositions reclaimed by others (it's rare for me though. Guess I'm not good enough for common occurrence! LOL). It's also why I hate TurboSquid. I released one model once and less than a week later it appeared on that damnable site. Which is why I rarely openly release models.

But that's how things are now. Once something's online, you basically loose control of it. So with that in mind, there's basically three ways to go about it: Adapt and make art theft work for you in some fashion, do some sort of limited release, or hide your stuff from the world. For me the third option isn't likely. Being artists we're all attention who...Um, we like being noticed! So, I totally see where you're coming from. As I understand it, you've chosen to do something of a limited release in low-rez images.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    It's sad, but it's more annoying when people whinge about people not sharing their models/art, blissfully unaware of the issues (and usually wilfully ignorant too!). It's sad, but it is what it is, we'll just have to enjoy what we get! :D

Sorry for derailing your thread, lets get back to enjoying the art! :)
    tobian wrote: »
    Sorry for derailing your thread, lets get back to enjoying the art! :)

No no, I think it's very important that artists discuss these sorts of things. This is a topic that I have thought long and hard over, and I came to my own imperfect decision in a world of only imperfect decisions. And who knows, maybe I'll change my mind one day, maybe right before I die I'll release every image I've done at fullres on the net, when I won't need the money anymore :)

And thanks Lizzy for the comments, I've never really thought of it before as a "limited release", but yes, that's I guess what it is.

- Neil
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    soulburn3d wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!
    See my response to Dimitriy above on why I no longer give out large copies of my work. Sorry dude.
    - Neil

This is very, very unfortunate.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Just wanted to chime in to say that it's really impressive paneling work! There's always something great about seeing that perfect balance of micro/fine/large detail and how it provides a sense of balance into the scene. I'm particularity fond of the ones that have some curving aspects to them like the 3rd image you posted. Although I really like the 1st one as well. I find the ones in post 32 too reminiscent of ship damage as compared to exposed paneling (not sure if that was the intent) but I really love the variety in all of these!

Are you going to expand the these tests into more 3d surfaces or curving surfaces?
    If I might suggest to those who are desiring this wonderful artwork for their own use.......

Assuming Neil is willing, ask questions, ask techniques or how to get started. Learn to make your own. This isn't being snarky, but think how much more you would enjoy being able to use your own artwork.

This thread has inspired me to push just a little bit harder when it comes to textures, take a few more chances and really try to push the envelope just a bit harder.

Neil, great work. very inspiring stuff.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Just saw the latest newsletter.

Congratulations!
    I hope you're putting in as much sleep as possible before that WIP is finished. ;)