Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDestroyer/ Scout

2»

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice details. :)
  • ulkeshulkesh0 Posts: 0Member
    Okay a couple more scale renders. I think Dmitri raised some very valid concerns.. even I wasn't sure if I'd gone overboard on the scale of the lifeboats, but I feel a bit more comfortable now. ;)
    82282.jpg82283.jpg
    Hm, well, right now these lifeboats are a bit the size of a Danube...
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Nicely done. Can't wait to see her @ warp, etc.
  • DmitriDmitri331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for throwing in the scale block. Things make quite a bit more sense now. Personally, I suspect that the escape pods are larger than the average- but your justification for making them that size makes sense. In any case, it still looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Cheers!
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    I like this start. Your detail level is quite good. I think there should be more single Nacelle hulls, so kudos there. I would personally prefer to see the front of the nacelle just a tiny bit less pointy. But it's hard to find fault with this very solid design. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    The pointy front end makes it look like an actual destroyer hull--the cut-water and all.
    Hey guys,

I haven't abandoned this thing, I'm working on the texturing part of the program. It's kinda slow going because I'm learning as I go. I took a stab at UV texturing, but I'm just too new at this to figure it out... yet. I'm getting some pretty satisfactory results, so I hope to share them soon.

Back at it!
    I look forward to seeing that saucer and neck on other designs as well. You have a great take on the saucer hull.
    That ship looks damn fast. Wonderful work. :)
  • EarthlingEarthling0 Posts: 0Member
    It's your ship. Make the lifeboats any size you durn well please! If you may recall there've been a number of sizes on the show. From 2 person 50 gallon drums (The Enterprise-JJ's escape pod from the new film) to Shuttle sized from DS9's pilot "The Emissary". Logic would seem to suggest the larger the pod, the more chance those inside it have of surviving, because there's more space for supplies.
    + fuel which as you know can't be replicated unless you have raw materials
    LOL thanks! Yes my thinking is that these things have to support survivors for some time, (especially if they're on the border of Federation space). Likely the best speed they can achieve is a low impulse, (maybe), we just don't know the specs on life boats. If however as Earthling points out, in the DS9 pilot we do see lifeboats capable of fairly long distance travel & capable of a reasonable speed... at least in Star Trek terms.

I'm kinda taking a bit of a break from this thing for now. I'm at the texture stage and it's a bit of a learning curve for me to get the results I'm looking for. Lot's of tweaking to do as you all know.
    Here are a few test renders, but there are some things I'm not happy with that need to be resolved. I just hit the mental wall on these and it's time to back off for a bit.
    83256.jpg83257.jpg83258.jpg83259.jpg
    In reference to the ST:TNG Technical Manual, I believe as of the 2350s + 60s the standard Starfleet lifeboats would be ejected from a Galaxy class ship at 40 meters/second. To escape potential warp-core breach. Now by the 2370-80s when your class is presumed launched this figure may have increased. As to regular cruising velocity, you might expect it to travel at speeds near what you might see the shuttle-pods doing in TNG.
    Oh lovely, this ship is really getting finely.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    The maps are looking nice so far but I have one really small gripe - the hexagonal objects on the pylon look a bit off - I think they have a bevel/gradient applied to it and that never goes well with 3D. Everything else is nice so far :thumb:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    excellent work. thanks for sharing
    Looks even more lethal now.