Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DEnterprise Technical Manual

FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Its been a while since I actually posted anything on my old ENT era starships thread but as of today I will start working on rebooting that project again. Since I lost my hosting space and the images I posted (luckily i have the psd files still on my harddrive and backups).

I really want to make a nice manual out of it, like before, and let it be printed out proffesionaly in the end. As such a new page and direction design wise will be needed. I probably will change some designs as well since I find them not detailed by now.

To give an idea in which I am planning to head I've made a WIP of a page. I will probably add some text but will keep that limited and let the drawings and designs do the talking. So if you notice some old designs being changed that is because I will be adding more detail as I go.

TestpagePulsar.png
81613.jpg
Post edited by Flanker on
Tagged:

• NBTrekieNBTrekie331 Posts: 0Member
    I'll be watching this one closely! :)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Cool , looking forward to seeing this one finished ! I already had one copy ordered, didn't I ? :D
  • Coota0Coota0331 Posts: 66Member
    i really enjoyed the original thread, I'll be looking forward to the new one.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks everyone, it has been a while since I posted anything so probably will start from scratch with this one.
    As for the starting image I added some minor tweaks and colored it which went faster then I thought.

I still think I will have to work on the page layout some more... perhaps look at programs like indesign or quark for that. If someone has pointers for the layout let me know. Will add some text later on, mainly specifications and technical details.
    Testpage.jpg
    Coolness :thumb: I still think it's the best ship you have ever designed. It's original but faithful to the era. Great job !
  • FireballFireball331 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice! I loved the original thread, very inspirational stuff. Will you be including Doug Drexler's refit of the NX class?
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    Nice to see you back Flanker.
    I'm sure you've been busy with TCW, glad you've come back to share. :D
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Nice, nice.
    Reworking the Mantaray Class. So far only have the top view line drawing completed.

@JohnnyMuffintop: It is a same to tell that I haven't been working on TCW anymore due to it ending production. It was a fun period in a wonderful team and I learned a lot.

@TrekMD and somacruz: thanks it is fun to be back designing ENT era ships.

@FireBall: I have seen the designs and I don't know if I will actually work them out. Because of several reasons, one being I am curious where or how the model will be used and secondly it is Drexler's design.

MantaRayMk2.jpg
  • joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work.
  • rodsmale84rodsmale84171 Posts: 0Member
    Really gotta say that I'm looking foward to this. Your work in the past has been amazing.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Nice designs. I wonder if you could tie them with Maso's in some way. he went in a different direction than Enterprise, but someone might make some hybrids with his and these designs maybe.
    A little surprise from me :) I'm a bit less active on SFM lately so I think it's better if I put it here :

th_cutter1.jpg
  • rodsmale84rodsmale84171 Posts: 0Member
    looking damn foward to seeing more!
    Thanks everyone and great start with the 3d model :D
    Hope to finish it during the weekend... redesigning and adding more detail takes quite a lot of time compared to the earlier design
    MantaRayMk2b.jpg
    The Manta is shaping up really nicely ! :thumb: Can't wait to see it fully finished - the details are looking amazing so far.
    A little update on the Cutter :

th_cutter2.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I would love to see this manual finished!! Hell, I'd buy it!! :)
  • larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
    WOW...this is some great work...cant wait to see more.

What do you use to do your drewings in?
    Forst of all thanks for the encouraging comments. It will take time but I have a good feeling about the direction I am taking with this.

@Somacruz: you have got everythin right so far :) so great to see the little cutter shapng up quite well.
    @Arnier100: thanks! glad to hear you like the designs so far. And no need to buy it ;) will eventually add a pdf for download.

@larundal: thanks and I am using photoshop CS2 as my main work/art program.

the finished mantaray (highly scaled down but it would take up quite some space to host)
    MantarayMk2c.jpg

And a request: which uit should I work out next. I've added a image with the old images I made (and I might add some new units) which could use some more work. Also if there is a class of vessel you would like to see let me know.

Allships.jpg
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Great work but I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Do you have any plans for more orbital/ground installations? Or maybe more specialized vehicles like transport ships which carry the pre-assembled starship parts to the dockyards in orbit?
    That is not a bad idea. The Kurt class would have been a ship that would move parts to orbital facilities using a clamp similar to the potemkin class seen in TOS. I do have some installations here and there. I will certainly work out this one:
    Spacestation2d.png
    Some peope might still remember it :)
    [edit]

I don't know how it happened but it seems that the third page didn't show up for me so the rest was posted in reply to your earlier post

Griffon of course , it's the best one ! :p (no one will probably know why I brought that one up just for laughs) Seriously though, I think the Mercury could get a bit more love. Oh and if anything, I would like to see some ECS ships.
    Definitely looking forward to your ideas.
    Another previously untapped potential would be the offworld mining facilities. Maybe in the asteroid belt for the metals to build Earth's early fleet or the Lunar-based Helium 3 mining for the first impulse drives.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    The Mantaray looks great! Nice job.
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Cool thread about an interesting topic! Excellent work! :)
    Some bits for the Cutter from me today. I am going to stand my ground that it's your best ship and I wouldn't have anything against if Enterprise was more like it.

th_cutter3.jpg
  • joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
    Do you have side profiles for the Ent era ships from post # 20?
    WIP version of a construction vessel which only has inner system capabilities and is used for delivering large parts of starships under construction and move cargo.
    atlasc10.jpg

@lennier1: already working on such designs since they (support vessels) tend to be neglected. So hopefully I will be able to post more soon

@KmprA’rak and TrekMD: thanks for the support. It might take some time but I have a good feeling about the manual. Will keep it simpler then my initial plan and redesign the ships made so far (if not recycable).

@somacruz145: the model is getting better and better, which really helps me to keep motivated :D and indeed it would have been interesting to see more ships but ENT had only a short run time. Shame but it leaves a lot of imagination to make our own ships to fill in the gaps.

@joelcann: for most design in post 20 I have all the orthos (side/front/rear/top/bottom) yes. Only the Kurt Class and Iowa Class have not been completed in my first try. :)
    Interesting as always. Is the cargo launched into a parking orbit by conventional means (re-purposed DY-series vessels or something like that) and then picked up by this guy?
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Interesting as always. Is the cargo launched into a parking orbit by conventional means (re-purposed DY-series vessels or something like that) and then picked up by this guy?

Thats the idea yes and since tractor beams are not yet in wide use it uses a robotic arm to grab cargo containers. It is also possible for this vessel to carry a warpnacelle or large hull sections in it clamps. Also additional sections can be added making the vessel longer and capable to carry brigger equipment or cargo modules.