Welcome to! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.


cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I've put the Tie Interceptor on hold for a little while until I can get the blocks converted over to use a new technique I'm trying. For this new technique I am going to start on an X-Wing.

Below is a piece with 8 sided studs that have been instanced so that when I change the main stud, all the studs on all the blocks will change. This takes building the block and putting each block in it's own seperate group and then when you make a copy of that block, it too has to be instanced so everything works the way it should and at the same time giving my graphics card a rest.

Take a look at these and tell me what you think.

CF3D, a.k.a. Tommy
Post edited by cf3d on
1.jpg 227.5K
2.jpg 118.7K


  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, nice idea on the stud instancing. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Looking good! Are you planning to bevel the edges of the studs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I did a similar x-wing project back in 2003: (around 0:50)
    If anyone is interested, I still have the model & animation on some old backup-cd. It was made using Lightwave 7.5 (.lwo & .lws).
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    Stonky, of course.. the thing I found out is when it's time to raise the studs from 8 faces to 32 faces, I have to use the Edit Poly modifier instead of the convert to poly.. If you convert to poly, then you lose the connection between the studs. So I will Edit Poly, Inset, Extrude, Chamfer and all the other things like normal...
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    Small update... haven't gotten to play on this much today... alot of webdesign and coding has kept me busy.
    1.jpg 53.9K
    2.jpg 54.3K
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    I must be a glutton for punishment. lol

    The method I spoke of above was very tough to maintain and make sure that everything stayed the way it was supposed to so I went back to my original method and just went for all the details.

    Good news is my new motherboard and quad core processor should be here on Friday or Monday.

    Anyhow to the pictures

    *Note* - I made the floor reflective so you could see the bottom details. In the 2nd picture I started playing with textures in Mental Ray.

    Like always, any comments and critiques are welcome.
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking snazzy man, you're almost up to where I have it built IRL. :D
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    wished I could afford to buy these. I am only using what I can find on the website for reference. some things I can only go off the instructions. The gears are going to probably be a nice challenge... we will see.
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    Even with them in front of me they were hard to do. I wish you the best of luck! :D BTW, if you need any shots of any strange parts, I would be happy to oblige with pictures or renders.
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    I spent most of the day today trying to figure out the best way to go about making it easier on my machine to work on this sucker. So I come up with these steps:

    Create the brick
    Copy/Clone the studs over
    Attach the studs to the brick
    select all the studs and detach to object
    Add brick to Brick Layer
    Add Studs to Stud Layer
    Move Pivot Point

    This way I can hide the stud layer. One thing I noted is that you have to assign the objects to their layers then group them or they won't work right. It will take a little more time when creating the initial new bricks, but when you copy/clone an existing brick, the brick and studs are automatically assigned to the correct layers which saves a buttload of time.

    When I get home tonight I will render up a few quick images and post them.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Yikes! One of the things that helped me keep the geometry size to something reasonable in my lego builds was to not model any of the pieces, studs, or under detailing that I wasn't going to see in the completed kit.
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    yeah, I thought about that and but I'm crazy and I want to be able to take it apart for animation purposes, like explosions and stuff.. I may go back later and remove some but for now, hiding layers seems to be working pretty well. If it doesn't work out the way I want, I can just delete the layers of studs that can't be seen.
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    update - haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Will be install my new MB and processor tonight so hopefully I will be able to really gets some work done on this and my Tie Interceptor soon.
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    Great progress! If you will allow me, there are two notes I would suggest:

    -The 1x1 round plates on the corners of the seat shouldn't have cut out studs

    -The 1x2x2 wall pieces you have behind the seat should actually be 1x2x3

    Great work, hope your new mobo works out well for you. :D
  • cf3dcf3d0 Posts: 0Member
    just got my new motherboard put in and I'm now installing all my programs.

    Thanks for catching the 1x1 rounds. They were actually from my Tie Interceptor. Will fix that. And the wall plates come from my snowspeeder so I will adjust those when the time comes. Thanks for the heads up though.
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    I've often wondered if there isn't some way to use proxy pieces, and have the system replace them with full rez pieces at render time. Quickest way I can think of is having a low and hi res version linked together, but on different layers.
Sign In or Register to comment.