I've put the Tie Interceptor on hold for a little while until I can get the blocks converted over to use a new technique I'm trying. For this new technique I am going to start on an X-Wing.
Below is a piece with 8 sided studs that have been instanced so that when I change the main stud, all the studs on all the blocks will change. This takes building the block and putting each block in it's own seperate group and then when you make a copy of that block, it too has to be instanced so everything works the way it should and at the same time giving my graphics card a rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU70QGtkUm0 (around 0:50)
If anyone is interested, I still have the model & animation on some old backup-cd. It was made using Lightwave 7.5 (.lwo & .lws).
The method I spoke of above was very tough to maintain and make sure that everything stayed the way it was supposed to so I went back to my original method and just went for all the details.
Good news is my new motherboard and quad core processor should be here on Friday or Monday.
Anyhow to the pictures
*Note* - I made the floor reflective so you could see the bottom details. In the 2nd picture I started playing with textures in Mental Ray.
Like always, any comments and critiques are welcome.
Create the brick
Copy/Clone the studs over
Attach the studs to the brick
select all the studs and detach to object
Add brick to Brick Layer
Add Studs to Stud Layer
Move Pivot Point
This way I can hide the stud layer. One thing I noted is that you have to assign the objects to their layers then group them or they won't work right. It will take a little more time when creating the initial new bricks, but when you copy/clone an existing brick, the brick and studs are automatically assigned to the correct layers which saves a buttload of time.
When I get home tonight I will render up a few quick images and post them.
-The 1x1 round plates on the corners of the seat shouldn't have cut out studs
-The 1x2x2 wall pieces you have behind the seat should actually be 1x2x3
Great work, hope your new mobo works out well for you.
Thanks for catching the 1x1 rounds. They were actually from my Tie Interceptor. Will fix that. And the wall plates come from my snowspeeder so I will adjust those when the time comes. Thanks for the heads up though.