Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother Connie Re-design

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    th_185-1.jpg th_187.jpg th_186.jpg th_188.jpg th_189.jpg

Yeah, it's easy to get carried away... totally worth it if it works!

I'm a long way off for large renders... after I get the e-hull good and chunky, and at least start on the struts and nacelles then it should be time to take some big pics... they'll be up before you know it!
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    To be honest I don't care much for the design of this ship.
    However, I love the quality of the work and I think this is probably one of the most bold takes on a redesign of the ship I have ever seen and I have to give you praise for that!
    So while the ship itself might not be my favorite, the work you're doing is great!
    Thanks, I know this design wont be everyones cup of tea... but for me, it's purely a design exercise... pushing the conceptual envelope a little, which is always risky
    A sort of hybrid between the TOS and TMP connie:

th_191.jpg th_192.jpg th_193.jpg th_194.jpg th_195.jpg th_196.jpg
  • StarkillerStarkiller203 Posts: 80Member
    Personally, I like it. Star Trek ships have been done to DEATH. I love it when someone tries a redesign that is different, yet still recognizably
    Star Trek. Good job. While I love the ships of Star Trek, I was starting to get a little sick of all the standard Connies. I never built one because
    there are enough of them around already. :) I'm a radical, therefore, I like radical departures from the norm. ^_-

Eric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    JWWright wrote: »
    Thanks, I know this design wont be everyones cup of tea... but for me, it's purely a design exercise... pushing the conceptual envelope a little, which is always risky

I like it. Although my first thought was "Waffle-prize" since the initial design images reminded me of a waffle maker. Now it's more like a rugged Space-Tank.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback, compliments, criticism and open minds. Thats what makes it fun to post here. More to come!
    And more detail:

th_205.jpg th_204.jpg th_203.jpg th_202.jpg th_201.jpg th_200.jpg th_199.jpg
    Starting to detail them, refining some of the hard edges:

th_217.jpg th_216.jpg th_215.jpg th_214.jpg th_213.jpg th_212.jpg th_211.jpg th_210.jpg th_208.jpg
  • daibakadaibaka171 Posts: 0Member
    I like the way this is developing. Some nice homage details on those struts harking back to the TOS and TMP Connies of yore. Absolutely love the phaser pits with their pop up cannons, but not too keen on the lifeboats. They look a bit small compared to your blue guy and I have to wonder about the ones placed right next to the impulse engines on the saucer. Not so sure how crew access would work with all that engine machinery under the hood at that point. Still, if thats the only thing niggling me about this whole ship I think you must be doing something right!
    Thanks! The lifeboats are 4 person, in the seated position, there's plenty of room. I'll have a detailed breakout of one at a later point.

I imagine they would have a small fusion power plant, molecular re-breathers, survival ration replicator (yeast brick, not tasty but 100% nutritious) waste would be handled by a form of transporter tech, the body is scanned for waste products, removed via transporter beam (unnoticeable to the occupant) and the atoms re-cycled to produce air, water and rations. Automated nav, with manual over-ride, transponder, visible beacon, sub space radio, parachute and flotation cells.

More to come!
    Twin intercooler flux chillers, warp field geometry field controllers...

th_227.jpg th_226.jpg th_225.jpg th_224.jpg th_223.jpg th_222.jpg th_221.jpg th_219.jpg th_220.jpg

Do any C4D users know how to make a material that emits light? Illumination doesnt seem to be able to cut through ambient occlusion shadowing...
    More:

th_233.jpg th_232.jpg th_231.jpg th_230.jpg th_229.jpg th_228.jpg
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work! I just stumbled on this one and have to say it is very refreshing to see this redesign of the Constitution. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Warp coil housing plates, registry markings...

Thanks Flanker!

th_241.jpg th_242.jpg th_243.jpg th_244.jpg th_245.jpg
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent! I've always liked the idea of using raised lettering instead of the "painted" registration markings. Of course, the big ones on top of the saucer would add a lot of unnecessary weight. Then again, when you're designing your own version of the Connie, who says you have to use large letters on the primary hull? Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the labeling process goes.
    Thanks, Buck! I'm trying to get a glow behind the reg marks, I'm going to have to learn more about C4D materials to get it right. I imagine the reg marks on the primary hull might be painted... but who knows? More to come.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,979Member
    SheA’s looking more and more interesting afeter each new post. :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Your design actually reminds me of one of the Final Frontier cartoon designs http://zeroroom.squarespace.com/gallery/ships/2268883

More:
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Final_Frontier
    Ah! And here I was thinking I had a completely original take on the old girl... too bad that series wasnt realised, it would have been fun, but that Enterprise? Dunno... its not easy on the eyes.

ffenterprise.jpg

I was hoping for an animated TNG series ages ago, I even drew a pic once, wondering how a cartoon might look:

animatedtrek.jpg

Thanks for checking out my version , guys!
    th_246.jpg th_247.jpg th_248.jpg th_249.jpg th_250.jpg

Complete with pod dock, turbo elevator, EVA airlock...
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    A nacelle control room actually located in the warp engine housing...that's a wild idea! Would this location be staffed regularly, or only when the situation called for it? Also, how does the space the room occupies reconcile with the inner workings of the warp engine? I'm asking because I know you've already figured it out. In my experience reading your threads, you don't add anything to a model unless its function is clear and you've got a fair idea on how the pieces fit together and interact. So give it up: What are those rooms for and how does the space for them jibe with the warp engine's innards?
    Ha ha, thanks! Well, this ship actually represents maybe older, or more contemporary approach to a starship, more alike with a naval vessel of this century. The nacelle control rooms are staffed by a crew to monitor and react to conditions under various circumstance and are an extension of main engineering. There is even a transporter pad for control room staff to access the other more quickly than using the lift.

The control room is alot like what was seen in TNG: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nacelle_tube

From the original Connie: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=3483517

Sovereign class: http://excaliburweb.tachyondecay.net/ship/excaliburb/

I thought it would be more practical to have that station be more accessible by shuttlepod, eva, etc... along with removable plating for warp coil swap-outs and other equipment replacement around the nacelle housing.

More to come...
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,979Member
    Never mind about a Nacelle control room... But looks cool! :)
    Nacelle control center hatch and some bussard details, homage to the first Connie refit:

th_255.jpg th_254.jpg th_253.jpg th_251.jpg th_257.jpg th_256.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4154 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,317Member
    This ship looks cooler and cooler with each update!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    The structure there looks nice, but the way it connects looks kind of plain. Maybe some raised plates around the edge, to give it a 'braced' look?
    This may wrap up the nacelles for now, I'm iffy about the aft intercoolers... I may lose 'em.

I like the idea of bracing, do you mean for all the sections?

th_265.jpg th_259.jpg th_260.jpg th_261.jpg th_262.jpg th_263.jpg th_264.jpg
    I'll probably have sensor packages protruding through the hull cutouts, maybe even aft torpedo tubes.

There's still the problem of an impulse engine for the e-hull, too.

th_270.jpg th_268.jpg th_266.jpg th_267.jpg th_269.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That is looking really awesome right now ! :thumb: I wouldn't have ever thought for a design like that one to work but somehow you managed to pull it off in style. Nacelles are really neat !