Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother Connie Re-design

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    I originally thought this would make a good position for a phaser crew control pit, as this will be flanked by phaser projectors next, but then I'd have to make one for the projectors on the primary hull...

Which I may... we'll see.

th_101.jpg th_102.jpg th_103.jpg th_104.jpg th_105.jpg
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    SheA’s different, but surelly has her own charm. ;)
    Thanks man!

These pop out of their recess, can be directed in a hemisphere exceeding a 180 degree radius, and boy, do they pack a wallop.

I'll have some conduits, tanks, indirect lights to detail out the hull cavity this sits in at a later point.

th_110.jpg th_109.jpg th_108.jpg th_107.jpg th_111.jpg
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, this design is finally starting to grow on me, and I'm glad. Looking over its development I've begun to see this more as a "workhorse" version of the Constitution design; it's beefier, more built-up, maybe a bit tougher-looking than the more elegant shapes we're used to seeing. Sort of like the 23rd century version of the Dodge Ram 1500 truck: it looks good just driving down the street, but it will also get than 100 year old tree stump pulled out of your backyard no problem. In fact, it really shares that same concept with your Eagle Transport design I like so much so I guess you can say I've officially been converted. I take back any ambivalent comments I may have posted earlier.
    No cause for alarm, citizens, this is only a test, I repeat, only a test...

Haha! Thanks man, well, yeah, this is a more chunky, utilitarian approach to the traditional Connie... Dodge Ram with a little A10 Warthog... hopefully she'll have a degree of elegance, but mostly, she's built for serious business. Exploring the galactic frontier is a dangerous environment, and you need a solid ship that can take a beating.

She's really at about the 5% completed stage here, the final geometry is so far off I cant think about it lest I simply embrace the futility and abandon it...

But I'll switch back to my other projects as I burn out on this...

Dont sweat it, it's radically different than other Connie redesigns, and a real design risk... it could still go horribly wrong!

I've been also thinking about the Klingon D7 while I model this old girl... and I have a pretty cool concept for a redesign of the Starfleet communicators... man, I hope I can resist re-designing the whole Trek universe, thats a career in itself, and I'm not getting paid for it!
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Standard Front / Back / Side / Top / Bottom Views (with new weapons)?
    Hmm... as soon as I get the two banks on the secondary hull underside I'll render up some orthos...

I'm wondering if I should do the single torpedo launcher, or the dual launchers... forward and aft?

th_116.jpg th_115.jpg th_114.jpg th_113.jpg th_112.jpg
    Woah, just found this bit of interesting info... from the animated series that never was, I thought my design was a radical departure, but I havent seen anything until this:

http://zeroroom.squarespace.com/gallery/ships/

Would have been an interesting series, but that ship! Yow!

I made a series of drawings years ago, for a project about an animated series based on TNG, you can see one that survived here:

http://jefferywright.com/illust/ink/animatedtrek.jpg
    th_117.jpg th_118.jpg th_119.jpg th_120.jpg th_121.jpg
    Terraced up:

th_129.jpg th_122.jpg th_128.jpg th_123.jpg th_124.jpg th_125.jpg th_126.jpg th_127.jpg
    Wow! Those orthos really show off how radical this design is. I'm struck by the feeling it's very origami-like; each piece meant to support, enhance, and strengthen the pieces around it. Very cool!
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    I love it! This design is getting better and better.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    I agree with all the positive comments thus far - this is one of the most interesting takes on the ship I've seen in a while. While I appreciate the smooth "aerodynamic" versions, I have to agree that they are a bit anachronistic in space. And the 'origami' comment is right on.
    I really appreciate the compliments, I like taking risks in design. I'm sure I'll go too far in re-interpreting a beloved icon one of these days...

I love the origami comparison, I see it now, well spotted!

Got some detail sussed out near the stardrive / saucer interface. This girl is built to separate:

th_131.jpg th_130.jpg th_133.jpg th_132.jpg
    Starting to shape out the sublight engines, I might go bigger. I'm also thinking the stardrive section should also have impulse engines, like the galaxy class ships.

th_134.jpg th_135.jpg th_136.jpg th_138.jpg th_139.jpg th_140.jpg th_137.jpg
    Hashing out some detail:

th_144.jpg th_145.jpg th_143.jpg th_142.jpg th_141.jpg
    th_149.jpg th_147.jpg th_146.jpg th_148.jpg th_152.jpg
    As usual, I love the fact that you've got figures in the scene to keep the scale correct. I really wish the Hollywood FX industry would do that more often.
    I also have a design question. It looks like the dorsal neck protrudes up through the saucer, which is a good design choice since it makes the connection between the saucer and neck much stronger. My question is, how does the crew get from the saucer to the neck section? There must be a point where the Turbolift and Jefferies Tube(s) connect one with the other, but I'm not sure where that might be. The impulse engines take up a lot of space on either side of the dorsal, so a pathway there seems unlikely. Any ideas on where these connection points might be?
    Along the sides of the dorsal, where it connects to the saucer, there are (will be) a series of locking lugs and where the upper turbolift manifolds terminate vertically, they move horizontally out of the dorsal, into the saucer.
    Complete with lifeboats, twin fusion reactor domes:

th_160.jpg th_159.jpg th_158.jpg th_157.jpg th_156.jpg th_155.jpg th_154.jpg
    Some on the top of the primary hull:

th_161.jpg th_164.jpg th_162.jpg th_163.jpg th_165.jpg
    JWWright wrote: »
    Along the sides of the dorsal, where it connects to the saucer, there are (will be) a series of locking lugs and where the upper turbolift manifolds terminate vertically, they move horizontally out of the dorsal, into the saucer.

I figured you had an idea for that in mind. I just wanted to bring it up in case you hadn't thought about it. Can't wait to see more!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that's shaping up really nicely ! A very unique take on the ship, it actually looks like a mix of the First Contact ships and cubism :D
    Thanks guys! A little work on the lower decks.

The saucer section separates of course, in the Galaxy class,it becomes a lifeboat, that, when it "lands" on a planetary body, it's destroyed.

I think its pretty wasteful, really. I always thought, on the original, that the two triangular structures underneath the saucer might be where retractable landing gear are stowed.

So, I'm thinking of adding four landing rigs that deploy from the underside, along with vertical impulse engines that are also behind panels in the hull.

Feh, who knows, this is just a design exercise... I cant take it too seriously.

th_169.jpg th_168.jpg th_167.jpg th_170.jpg th_166.jpg
    Vertical thrusters, landing gear with ramps.

The gear will of course have articulated hydraulic cylinders. I may have to put a nav deflector on the saucer, since it will be able to travel at relativistic speeds.

th_171.jpg th_172.jpg th_173.jpg th_175.jpg th_176.jpg th_177.jpg th_179.jpg th_178.jpg th_180.jpg th_181.jpg
    th_182.jpg th_183.jpg th_184.jpg th_185.jpg
    Heh, Heh. So much for not taking this too seriously, eh? :-)
    I knew I'd get sucked into the devilish details.. I always do, dammit. Ah well! I'm glad I'm getting this ship outta my system.
    JWWright wrote: »
    I knew I'd get sucked into the devilish details.. I always do, dammit. Ah well! I'm glad I'm getting this ship outta my system.

I'm right there with you, bud. I can't help digging into the details. "It would be so cool if the ship could do THIS, but then I'd have to make THAT THING this way so it could do that!" It's an addiction, but there are far worse in the world.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    need much bigger pics for a desktop background. *S*