After following Avian's excellent Jupiter 2 thread, and seeing JWWright's comment on seeing a version of the Season 1 Jupiter 2, I decided to give it a go. I will switch between this model and my Millenium Falcon
to give me a bit of a break.
The Jupiter 2 is one of those classic designs I have always loved, and this will now be my third model of it. This time around though, I plan on going for being as accurate as possible with it.
Lost In Space (LIS) was originally done as a pilot (which never aired) by Irwin Allen. There was no B9 robot or Doctor Smith in it. It was just the Robinson Family and Major West. Their spaceship was called the Gemini 12, a one level design which was supposed to take the family to Alpha Centauri. The studio liked the pilot, but called it a bit boring and needed to spice it up a bit. Thus the character's of Doctor Smith and the robot were born. The Gemini 12 became the Jupiter 2, a multi-level craft which could better house the family on it's voyages. The exterior of the ship was slightly altered and some elements were changed on the flight deck (like adding an airlock!).
The pilot episode was broken up and a lot of the footage was used in the first 4 or 5 episodes. So, whenever you saw exterior space shots of the Jupiter 2, it was actually the Gemini 12. Even some interior shots were reused, like whenever Smith and the Robot were not in the scene.
So, for this project, I will be modelling the Jupiter 2, and not the Gemini 12. Exterior changes that were made for the Jupiter 2 will be incorporated into my model. Interior will be as close to the 1st season as possible. For instance, there was no center console in the Season 1 Jupiter 2. Instead, that was used to house the pilot's chair. It would fold up and slide into the center console. The Gemini 12 had a raised floor around the perimiter of the flight deck. Someone had mentioned it in Avian's thread and I confirmed it in the videos. The Jupiter 2 did not have the raised floor, so mine will be flat.
Now, on to the modeling!
I first started by getting the hull profile as accurate as I could, based on some blueprints and photographs of the studio 4 foot Jupiter 2 model. I then built the interior 8 wall dividers to determine the correct size and location of the cockpit windows and hatch. This gave me the correct width for the windows (which didn't line up with the drawings) and placement of the hatch (which also didn't line up with the drawings). So far, everything is just roughly modelled so I can get things in the correct place. I will worry about beveling edges and stuff like that a bit later.
Updated thumbnail image...