Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattlestar Atlantia

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Aye, I look forward to seeing what you've done so far.
  • boberth2oboberth2o0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey an update is here! Sorry for the delay but I'm working in Google Sketchup and hand drawing takes tons of time, What do you think? Older versions are on the first post for comparison
    80302.jpg
  • Judge DeathJudge Death0 Posts: 0Member
    As I recall, the Atlantia was supposedly the flagship of the colonial fleet and I was assume she was more advanced than the galactica, which as I understand was the last serving battlestar from the original cylon war. I'd definitely make her more advanced than '"the bucket" but maybe not as advanced as the pegasus.
    As I recall, the Atlantia was supposedly the flagship of the colonial fleet and I was assume she was more advanced than the galactica, which as I understand was the last serving battlestar from the original cylon war. I'd definitely make her more advanced than '"the bucket" but maybe not as advanced as the pegasus.

A quote for a quote, posts bear reading.
    boberth2o wrote: »
    Bolian and Keng: I plan on adding more ribs, I made the front end very armored and I don't like it as well as I want to. I'm probably going to take some panels off and have the exposed ribbing there.
    Yes, it is in between the Mercury and Galactica classes, I feel that they didn't just go from heavy exposed ribbing outside hulls to heavy armored paneled hulls. It's a middle stage middle aged ship, the Galactica being the old war bird and the Mercury/Peagsus being the newer aged warship.
    I'm trying to incorporate the armored panels and larger engines of the Mercury with the ribbing and retractable flight pods of the Galactica.
    Hopefully those features will mesh together well in the end to create a style that could be canon with the show.
    I actually liked the 'ribs" on the galactica. They were obviously meant to be bulkhead walls to contain any sort of decompression incident and looked like something a space warship should have had.
    I like it a lot so far... I think maybe you could add a thin line of armor plating on the flight pod, because that's a LOT of ribbing in that area, as it would help break it up a bit. But I like where you're going with this.
    Um I know I make my share of typos, but I really think you meant to say "add" a thin line of armor to the flight deck
    ^

LOL... aye, thanks for catching that... I just fixed it.
    Right or Left?

Edit: Added some quick stuff, It's a shot straight from SketchUp
    80410.jpg80411.jpg
    632.jpg 136.7K
    633.jpg 173.6K
    Aye, that looks much better. :)
    Aye, that looks much better. :)

Thanks, the from end of the ship looked too TOS for me so I re-did it
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i love the reworked version
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Good look now! Makes a strong and compact impression! :)
    Thanks, here is a cleaner shot and I'm going to start to work on the new nose section soon
    80452.jpg
    636.jpg 272.6K
    Do you plan to have her have forward batteries like the pegasus did? That seemed to be a major difference between the old galactica types and the pegasus types. maybe a smaller number of cannons than the Pegasus had, to reflect an intermediate step in the design process...
    You've got me curious now, waiting to see what you do with the engine design.
    Do you plan to have her have forward batteries like the pegasus did? That seemed to be a major difference between the old galactica types and the pegasus types. maybe a smaller number of cannons than the Pegasus had, to reflect an intermediate step in the design process...

Well, my role from the Atlantia was focused on frontal assault. The ship would pass and salvo fire using the frontal batteries. Then while turning to make another pass she would role on her side and the top guns start. Personally I think that the Mercury Class was a more powerful broad side ship. In the Resurrection Ship Battle we see her broad side a Basestar and destroy it pretty effectively.
    You've got me curious now, waiting to see what you do with the engine design.

I'm curious too because I dont know what I'm going to do.
    There are more panels and ribs. I roughed out the engines and ribs on those soon enough
    80821.jpg
    663.jpg 45.7K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    boberth2o wrote: »
    There are more panels and ribs. I roughed out the engines and ribs on those soon enough

So what's the cuirrent status of this? I'm getting into sketchup and would like to see how you're doing with htis. Need to add connectors to the main hull and pods. Also don't make the pods need to be retracted, that was just with the old galactica type.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    maybe he wnats to mix the old with the new
    Yes, but that "have to retract the bays before we jump" was a reaL pain, I think it'd be about the first thing changed in a new class/tech of battlestars.
  • larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, but that "have to retract the bays before we jump" was a reaL pain, I think it'd be about the first thing changed in a new class/tech of battlestars.

well that was the case when the Mercury and Valkirye class where designed, you didnt have to retract the pods cos they were fixed into postion.

This is a really cool looking design and i do want to see more.
    Ha I have been working on it but I haven't been posting it here. Update!
    83424.jpg83425.jpg83426.jpg
    698.jpg 398.5K
    699.jpg 164.1K
    700.jpg 44.4K
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    watching
  • stargate302stargate3020 Posts: 0Member
    Lovely, totally LOVE the design, but IMO the Atlantia should be one of the Strongest looking ships in the fleet, as, it is an Admiral's Ship! and is a Flagship if im not mistaken, so yeah, thats just my opinion but so far, Would love to use this in Freelancer :lol:
    You know, there may have been a couple retired galactica type hulls at the shipyards for training purposes. Suppose they kept a couiple of the old hulls at the yard for training cadets on before letting them on the more advanced, online ships? The hulls were not in actual service but were being used as training ships. That might explain them being at the shipyard while the galactica was the only original battlestar still in service.
  • JamesAprilJamesApril0 Posts: 0Member
    I always thought that Atlantia and Galactica were the same class.
    There are a couple of passages in both the old and new series indicating that.
    1. The Atlantia is one of the original 12 Battlestars.
    2. Admiral W. Adama makes his 1000th landing on the Atlantia means it can't be that new.
    3. The Galactica is on some sides referred to as Atlantia-Class.

But nevertheless you're doing a great job on this model and I can't wait to see the final result.
    Don't like those four landingbay-system though.

Kind regards,
    James
    Update
    83617.jpg
    709.jpg 96.1K
  • JamesAprilJamesApril0 Posts: 0Member
    Although my head hurts because of those small annoying children whose daycare is in our house, I can tell that there have been some changes.
    I still like the Design. I think it's great.
  • stargate302stargate3020 Posts: 0Member
    How bout an update, Anxious to see how this turns out!!!