Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Texturing Help in 3ds Max

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
New around here aswell as new to modelling. Anyways I need some help texturing a battlecruiser for a RP Species I made. I use only diffuse with the png on it and I get what is below in the attachment. Trying to get hull texturing properly. What am I doing wrong here?
Post edited by Unknown User on

• spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like you haven't unwrapped the model properly. Check out the Unwrap UVW modifier and some of the many online tutorials on unwrapping
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Well since idk what unwrapping is thats probably it lol Thanks I'll check it out and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Yep that was the problem....kind of a facepalm on my part lol
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    Unwrapping can be a pain in the butt to do, but it's worth sticking with it. You could "cheat" and apply a box map to the model but learning how to unwrap properly would give you much better results :)
    Yeah I got it to unwrap. And applied the texture over the entire ship but didnt like it so I'm going to do it by Polygon lol
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    not sure what you mean, but once you unwraped properly your model, you need to render the uvs then take it into photoshop to paint, or at least tweak the base texture you want to apply.
    You can UVW Map and then Unwrap just parts of the ship aswell as I fail at image editing programs.
    photoshop is not that hard once you know the blending styles.

and everyone can see a difference between a base texture and an object's texture.
    Base Texture and Object Texture? Explain please. Also it's not that I dont know how to use PS as I have however I just plain suck at it. I use GIMP anyways.
    i call base texture whatever you use to start with texturing. like a metal photo, or concrete, or whatever your object is meant to be made of.
    you paint on it, you change its seize, duplicate it, put stickers on it, add some dirt, scratches...

the object texture, is the final thing you'll use inside your 3d package. with paintings and burn marks, and whatever.

a good site to find cool base textures is [CG Textures] - The worlds largest free texture site