Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLearning Sketchup

• omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    Lol "knocked it out like it was noting" to be frank that is nothing nothing extemly complex and very few polys no texture etc so i cant be anything but a fast render.
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Well compared to my previous setup, it was nothing. The laptop I was using previously, wouldn't even let me put those models together like that without over heating and shutting off.
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    ok lol thats bad :P
    Update for the AreoRam. It's pretty close to being done, though the actual missile needs a bit of work. I also need to go back and redo the turret arms (they've become a bit lopsided somehow) and at some point I need to rig the thing so it can actually move....and actual textures would be nice at some point as well.

Until I learn to do all that though, here is what it will look like for now.
    79214.jpg
    new.jpg 186.4K
    Here are a few new WIP's.

The first is the SeaBee Yard Tractor UAV. This is the basic sled configuration. Variants will include cargo containers, dedicated cranes, a more powerful tug, and a specialized Worker Cab variant that can carry a small group of engineers.

Next is a Relay Station, used for refueling smaller ships, up to the Elco class in size. I intended to get a render with an Elco in there, to show how it has to dock upside down (depending on your perspective) but I wasn't able to get to it.
    79511.png79512.png79513.png79514.png
    Last and certainly not least, is a relatively new ship even though I posted an early WIP a week or so ago....which for the time being I'm calling the Phaeton. There was no original concept art for this ship, so it's somewhat brand new and while I'm treating her as a New Haven Universe design, it doesn't really fit into the universe anywhere.....So I'm not sure what's going to become of her.

The 'Pods' are, for the time being, simply upscaled versions of the Elco Class pods.
    79515.jpg79516.png
    I threw this together last night, thinking along the lines of what it might look like to see a squadron of Slava's parked on a runway/landing pad at a Forward Operating Base.....and this was the result.

This is probably the first sort of setting/scene depicting something that will actually be shown in the story; thought to say any more then that would be giving too much away.

So at this point, it's merely a test. I was pleased with how the hangars turned out though. They probably need a bit more work, but for the most part it's not a bad effort I think.

The full picture is much bigger, so download the full size version so that you can take in some of the smaller details....the few there are.
    79555.jpg
    A couple shots of a current WIP; FOB Thunder.
    79573.jpg79574.jpg
  • ChrisTOPherChrisTOPher0 Posts: 0Member
    how did you get the image in the background, i've been trying to figure out how to do it with V-Ray with no success at all. the Background always comes out way too blurry.

any help would be cool man
    I've never used V-Ray, so I can't say for sure. I've been using Kerkythea and I can tell you how to do it that way....if they're similar maybe it will help. Otherwise, I'm not sure I can help.

With Kerkythea, choose Sun and Sky in settings; click next and when you come to the Sky Type option, choose Background Centered Image. Click Finish and you're ready to go....at least as far as what I've been able to do so far. There's no doubt more that could be done to make the render look better, but I'm still figuring all that out myself.
    One tip though, make sure the background image is large and high quality....and I do mean large. If you're using a smaller background image, it might be the reason why it's turning out blurry....that's just a guess on my part, but it seems likely.
    Guns.

More specifically, the Remotely Operated Weapons System (ROWS) platform, with a 30mm gattling cannon, 60mm grenade launcher, and some sort of rail gun that needs much more work.
    80064.jpg
    Missile WIP
    80624.png
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Ya know what, Jimi?

I'm a firm believer that you need to change the name of your thread from "Learning Sketchup" to "Master of All That I Survey". I'm still amazed at how quickly you've grasped 3D. The detail you put into your work is fantastic. I really hope I'm still around to see how you start putting all of this together.
    Thanks.

"Master of all that I survey." That does have a nice ring to it. lol

Here's the new version of the ROWS turret. No weapons on them yet. I've also included the the IFV with a mounted ROWS turret, so you can get a better sense of scale. Sitting alone, the turret looks quite large, but when seen with the IFV, it's actually quite small.
    80630.jpg80631.png
    Test wip with a space background.

Background from: http://xmandypandyx.deviantart.com/art/Space-Background-Stock-115664757

th_Test-1.png
    Here's a very quick 'fleet shot' showing early (very rough) concepts for two new ships.

th_test2-1.png

The far left ship, which looks much larger then it actually is...it's roughly the same size as the Phaeton; is an as of yet unnamed fast combat support ship. Basically it would fly around with the fleet, carrying ammunition, fuel, food, and other replenishable resources that routinely run low aboard ships of war. The two dock collars, all it to off load supplies to two vessels simultaneously.

The ship on the far right, is a possible contender for the Ark Royal class carrier. I say possible contender, because it's going in some what of a different direction then what I had originally intended. It may end up as just some random background civilian transport carrier. Interestingly enough, it has a lot more in common with some of the old original Tico concepts then with any of the new designs.

And of course, the two in the middle are the Elco and the Phaeton. There's also a Slava landing craft thrown in their for a sense of scale.

I haven't included the Kirov concept in any of these shots because I didn't like they way it was turning out and decided to scrap the last incarnation of the model and start over. With working on everything else, I simply haven't gotten around to stating on it again....and eventually I'll have to start on the Ticonderoga herself...culling through the dozen or so concepts that were created to try and find some balance in a design that fits in with the rest of the New Haven Universe.
    The UNMC Fleet (sort of) as off 2165....minus three notable exceptions.
    th_test3-1.png
    I know they're still pretty rough and all of them are still very much WIP's....I just wanted to see what I had so far, all together in one shot.

There are three Defiance Class ships in this shot now, though I'm not sure why the one up front is inverted. I guess in space, it doesn't really matter though. lol

So this is pretty much the fleet as it stands, when the story starts; minus the Kirov siblings and the Tico of course. There might also be a handful of smaller support craft, but this is it as far as capital ships are concerned.

With the Tico and the two Kirov class ships, this would also serve to show the standard deployment of a UNMC Expeditionary Strike Group; which serves as the standard deployment force for the entire UNMC fleet....or at least it would have had their been time to build more ships before the war started. Because of particularly heavy losses, the UNMC now only has one surviving ESG, which spends most of it's time in orbit of Earth, providing assistance to ground forces fighting the Pax, and attempting to prevent further Pax forces from landing planet side.
    So here are a few WIP's I've been working on.....in case you haven't noticed I tend to jump around from one thing to another, never really spending a great deal of time on any one design before moving on to something new...I do always come back to them though. I think at this point in still trying to learn 3d and because New Haven is such a large project, it's not a terrible idea to switch things up from time to time.

That being said, here's what I have:
    The front half of the Bushmaster Tactical Combat Vehicle (sort of like a humvee and IFV/APC rolled into one.)
    th_Bushmaster-test.jpg

An update for the Phaeton, with her new sensor pods. The old pods were just upscaled versions of the Elco pods, so i definitely wanted something new and unique for the Phaeton.
    th_PhaetonOne.png
    th_Phaeton4.png

And I've started some very basic work on the Essex Class. The Essex class, particularly the Ticonderoga is the 'heroship' of this particular tale. So needless to say, she will likely go through quite a bit of refinement.
    th_Side.jpg th_Top.jpg th_EssexThree.png th_EssexTwo.png
    And a close up shot of the turrets.
    th_Hint.png
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice ships and sweets turrets. especually the gatling one [gatling fan here XD]
    And all this with Sketchup.. wow..
    Thanks. I'm still not entirely happy with the turret. Even thought it's relatively small compared to everything else, even with sitting by itself or even with a gun attached, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm probably going to take another stab at it soon.

I thought I had posted a shot with all the different gun options, but I guess I didn't because I don't see it.
    While this is the old version of the turret, all the armaments displayed here should be available on the final final version. Note, some of the weapons are still very much 'early versions'.

th_Rows.png
    I'm attempting to build this:
    th_newRapier2-4.png

Here is what I have so far:
    th_zero1.png

I'm going to try and stick with with this one for a bit and see if I can't finish it.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    That's looking real nice!
    Does this craft hover?
    Thanks. Yeah, it hovers and has full VTOL capabilities with a lift jet system similar to the Harrier Jump Jet, rather then some sort of tilt rotor system.
    Updates:
    th_zero3.png th_zero2.png
    It's been a few weeks, which means it's time for another rapid fire edition of new WIP's and updates.

th_Defiance_Class2.png th_DefianceClass.png
    81601.png81602.png81603.png81604.jpg81605.png
    I'm starting to differentiate the different ships of each class, at least for the Defiance Class. So from here on out, updates for the Defiance will be ship specific. This is an update for the Shiloh; which is a heavily upgraded version, even beyond the standard upgrades and refits that took place prior to the war.

The Shiloh carries 48 Viper missile launch cells, expanded launch bays, increased engine performance, and an upgraded AI navigation suite which is directly linked the the MAC cannon hanging underneath her belly. The MAC cannon is a prototype weapon; firing a 4 meter diameter slug at velocities capable of breaching any known armor. Due to the nature of standoff weapon capabilities however, the MAC is usually fired at long range and becomes increasingly inaccurate; which the AI navigation suite is designed to help, however it's not always enough.

The Shiloh remains one of a kind. The other ships of this class, the Panama, Independence, Liberty, Alberta, & Hampton won't have this four engine, quad launch bay configuration.
    81688.jpg
  • alleyviperalleyviper0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool! Looks like you are taking to SU much quicker then myself.
    You can make the 3d letters 2d if u want. Just change the options in the text menu to no fill, then explode the text group, select the text and the face you want it on and use the intersect selected option.
    Thanks. I actually sort of like the lettering of the ships name done in 3d, as opposed to something that looks like it was painted on the hull. I'll probably do that for the other ships, but for this one, I think it sort of fits that ships name is emboldened in giant 3d letters across the hull.
    A few shots of showing this projects namesake; New Haven Island.
    The Island:
    th_NewHaven-1.png
    A pair of apartments that need much work due to some obvious errors:
    th_NewHaven2.png
    The Burbs:
    th_NewHavenSuburbs.png
    The Twin Fusion Reactors, with a connecting Mag-Lev Cab tube:
    th_FusionReactors.png

All of these are still very early WIPs.
    Here are some updates for the island.
    th_CorporateHeadquarters2.png th_CorporateHeadquarters4.png th_CorporateHeadquarters5.png th_CorporateHeadquarters6.png th_CorporateHeadquarters9.png th_CorporateHeadquarters10.png
    82188.jpg82189.jpg